Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talk me out of buying this horse...

I hear Iceman may be interested in his genes
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

It's not even a diesel

It's a horse. You need to know anymore than that to not buy one?
    Triple Crown. Yawn.
    So much abuse in horse racing, and the guys that are good to their animals go broke trying to win against dopers.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Well if you could afford to purchase him now, you had better check to make sure he is really able to perform and sire offspring. His will be a life of retirement as a 2 year old and sperm production.

It's a horse. You need to know anymore than that to not buy one?
    Triple Crown. Yawn.
    So much abuse in horse racing, and the guys that are good to their animals go broke trying to win against dopers.
    You hit all the talking points, yet I know from your posting history here that you have no clue what you're talking about.

But go on, and not trying to be a dick, please tell us everything you think you know about horse racing.

No google allowed.
    I still call it The Jake.

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    He already did.

I was fond of my old Arabian and Appaloosa personally.

Recently drove through Lexington, Kentucky checking out a motorcycle a couple months ago. The equine ranches out there are stunningly gorgeous. Kinda like being at the Masters I presume, although the Masters would be much cooler.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

I know my sis-in-law is a horse person. I know she's a barrel racer. Real deal cowgirl, yada yada. Her parents breed and race quarter horses. It's basically an entire operation dedicated to turning money into poo.
    But go on, keep assuming I'm not smart and couldn't possibly know anything about anything.
    Creaky told you so!
    No longer stuck.

It's basically an entire operation dedicated to turning money into poo.
    Well you got one thing right.

No one said you're not smart, you just know jack shit about racing thoroughbreds.
    I still call it The Jake.

All-Hoof-Drive so good like a Subaru, but no NAV - in fact the, fucking thing might go somewhere you didn't even want to go. Bio-fuel power to make the hippies happy. Maybe get a white one for the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Well you got one thing right.

No one said you're not smart, you just know jack shit about racing thoroughbreds.
    Thanks, lol
    ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz <- pretty much what I know about racing thoroughbreds.
    No longer stuck.

I know my sis-in-law is a horse person. I know she's a barrel racer. Real deal cowgirl, yada yada. Her parents breed and race quarter horses. It's basically an entire operation dedicated to turning money into poo.
    But go on, keep assuming I'm not smart and couldn't possibly know anything about anything.
    Creaky told you so!
    Just as much, if not more abuse in barrel racing. Most abuse happens at the lower and mid levels.

Then again, drive around any rural, lower income area and you will find horses half starved standing behind a couple strands of barb wire held together with bailing twine long faded since the last time they could afford hay. Standing in shit, dry, dusty and fly infested or mud up to their knees.

Do a search for horses on craigslist. Half starved, I'll fitting saddles, obese riders, huge bits on uneducated horses held by cruel hands...

Yup. I had a thoroughbred named Easter that we bought for $750 because the guy could no longer afford dog food. Imagine what she was eating.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

I had horses in college. Swim team friend taught me how to ride. She's champion in Cowboy Mounted Shooting:

a little horsey
    i bet she looks better without the rider

How do you have horses in college?

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Lots of intercollegiate riding programs plus there is the college rodeo system.

That mounted shooting shit is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    You hit all the talking points, yet I know from your posting history here that you have no clue what you're talking about.

But go on, and not trying to be a dick, please tell us everything you think you know about horse racing.

No google allowed.
    Or the current and historical abuses are prevalent enough to make the details just that.

Yup. People are doping the shit out of their horses. Mostly it's painkillers. Then they run the horse till the poor thing breaks. And they keep breeding them with these delicate lower legs. Especially the thoroughbreds. They've been bred to be even more crazy and fragile than your average, already scared and fragile horse.
    No longer stuck.

Yup. People are doping the shit out of their horses. Mostly it's painkillers. Then they run the horse till the poor thing breaks. And they keep breeding them with these delicate lower legs. Especially the thoroughbreds. They've been bred to be even more crazy and fragile than your average, already scared and fragile horse.
    And barrel racers pound the hell out of those tiny little quarter horse feet holding that big bulky horse and when their heels start to hurt they cut the nerves so they can't feel it and run them til they break.

everyone? No. Some? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Lots of intercollegiate riding programs plus there is the college rodeo system.

That mounted shooting shit is crazy.

I think he was asking how do you afford horses in college. And have time for horses...

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Swimmers rented a house that came with two horses and all the tack. We had a nam' vet that found peace in horses and came by every day to tend them. I'd arrive from class to prepared horses and go for a ride up Mt. Ashland with the woman pictured. Horse was palomino just like Ed.

map view:

https://maps.yahoo.com/place/?lat=42...hland%20oregon

It's basically an entire operation dedicated to turning money into poo.
    I live at in the center of the wannabe horsey peoples. What some consider the equestrian capitol of the americas. Three counties pretty much dedicated (by volume) to raising, riding and flaunting the horse trade for what it is. Turning money into poo. All hubbubing around the olympic center in somerset (20 miles south).

General public has no clue (unless your a local). Entire industry is run by self centered uppity, snobby pieces of (horse) shit with fragile backbones (if they ever had one). Back of my place abuts 47 acres of 250k or better horseys. Probably 5 of them altogether. Software guru lives and breaths the sport. Lots of backstory, but is going completely broke doing it. As is 35/40% of the property owners dedicated to equine anything. Acre upon acre of beautifully fenced in manicured rolling hills.

The state is slowly picking up the tab by buying the land as state trust (green acres initiative). A Republican gift to the upper echelon. Fading software guru behind me just got 2m for 30acres he parcelled off. He gets to stay there and his name is still on the deed. What a fucking joke.

Rode some bullshit rodeos as a cub and worked in a stable for three summers as tween/teen.
    Not a lot of vertical room in a sport that relies on it's association with the 4H to appeal to regular folk.

Most NJerseyians know someone who's owned a "race horse". Trotters being the easiest game to get into.
    And that's what it is; a game, run by bullshit/f'd up underhanded/overbearing sleaze buckets who have zero regard for the horse.

I occasionally get lucky and meet equine people that still make a difference, particularly draft horse breeders (think Clydesdale).
    They warrant my pity as they are surrounded by assholes.

My son will spend a week on a local "horse farm" this summer.
    It's good for the soul, but that's about it.
    Owning a horse is just another money hole with the advantage of having to feed it and shovel after it.

Apologies to y'all who are in love with the four legged wonder that is a horse.

I will neglect to get into the mustang problem that the US is in the middle of too. You can adopt one as quickly as helping a starving child in the third world and feel good that the money makes a difference.
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    And barrel racers pound the hell out of those tiny little quarter horse feet holding that big bulky horse and when their heels start to hurt they cut the nerves so they can't feel it and run them til they break.

everyone? No. Some? Yes.
    and 250+ lb men ride 2yr old Reiners (horse isn't fully grown/developed until they are 5).

When animals, any animal become a means to an end shit goes bad for the animal. Shall we talk about dog breeding/racing? Not all horse people are bad, it is like anything in life.