Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Surprisingly tasty as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post

Owning a horse is just another money hole with the advantage of having to feed it and shovel after it.

I believe you can say that about any animal a person keeps. I've always believed that you choose your animals based on the kind of shit you are willing to deal with.

The associated costs of horse and hamster ownership are quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    True but depending on income the percentage spent could balance out nevertheless, you still have to feed and clean-up after a hamster. Animal ownership is a choice. Don't want a horse don't get one - pretty simple. Why should anyone care if someone else wants to spend their money on one?

Come on. You're reaching with the horse and hamster comparison. On animal ownership we can agree. I worked with a guy who likened dogs to three year old children that never grew up. There's truth in that but it doesn't change a dog lover's fancy.

Edit: To be clear, I like horses a lot. Not as much as Mr. Hands, but a lot. It's the showing/racing shit that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Gerbils are a little bit more expensive than hamsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    It's not even a diesel
    And it only has one fucking horsepower...ONE!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    and 250+ lb men ride 2yr old Reiners (horse isn't fully grown/developed until they are 5).

When animals, any animal become a means to an end shit goes bad for the animal. Shall we talk about dog breeding/racing? Not all horse people are bad, it is like anything in life.
    That dude is skinny for a reiner and at least now the NRHA has drug testing. It use to be that Reiners had no drug rules at all.

But I strongly believe that backyard horses withstand just as much abuse.

Here's a gem. This horse is a saint.

http://youtu.be/pgBWYTP7D6E

There's mystery surrounding the death of Mr. Ed.

There are conflicting stories involving of the death of Bamboo Harvester, the horse that played Mister Ed. By 1968, Bamboo Harvester was suffering from a variety of health problems. In 1970 he was euthanized with no publicity, and buried at Snodgrass Farm, Tahlequah, Oklahoma. Alan Young told a different story, saying he had frequently visited Harvester in retirement. He states that Bamboo Harvester died from an inadvertent tranquilizer administered while he was in a stable on Sparks Street in Burbank, California where he lived with his trainer Lester Hilton. Young says Hilton was out of town visiting relatives and a temporary care giver might have seen Bamboo Harvester rolling on the ground, struggling to get up. Young said Harvester was a heavy horse and he was not always strong enough to get back on his feet without struggling. The theory is the caregiver thought the horse was in distress and administered a tranquilizer and, for unknown reasons, the horse died within hours. The remains were cremated and scattered by Hilton in the Los Angeles area at a spot known only to him.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I've always prefered bikes, but I've around horses all my life. Chicks dig horses.
    Being a fair rider got me laid a lot more than being a really good skier.

Most horse people are pretty nice.

Just like anything, there's always a few bad ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silas_Jayne
    Silas was pure evil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rita_Crundwell
    Rita thru so much money around, I just knew it couldn't be hers.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    There's mystery surrounding the death of Mr. Ed.

There are conflicting stories involving of the death of Bamboo Harvester, the horse that played Mister Ed. By 1968, Bamboo Harvester was suffering from a variety of health problems. In 1970 he was euthanized with no publicity, and buried at Snodgrass Farm, Tahlequah, Oklahoma. Alan Young told a different story, saying he had frequently visited Harvester in retirement. He states that Bamboo Harvester died from an inadvertent tranquilizer administered while he was in a stable on Sparks Street in Burbank, California where he lived with his trainer Lester Hilton. Young says Hilton was out of town visiting relatives and a temporary care giver might have seen Bamboo Harvester rolling on the ground, struggling to get up. Young said Harvester was a heavy horse and he was not always strong enough to get back on his feet without struggling. The theory is the caregiver thought the horse was in distress and administered a tranquilizer and, for unknown reasons, the horse died within hours. The remains were cremated and scattered by Hilton in the Los Angeles area at a spot known only to him.
    Tranquilizing older horses is dicey. I have a 27 yo mare that we are really careful with when we float her teeth. She only gets the very minimum. Thankfully her teeth are good and don't require much work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I've always prefered bikes, but I've around horses all my life. Chicks dig horses.
    Being a fair rider got me laid a lot more than being a really good skier.

Most horse people are pretty nice.

Just like anything, there's always a few bad ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silas_Jayne
    Silas was pure evil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rita_Crundwell
    Rita thru so much money around, I just knew it couldn't be hers.
    My GF was president of the Washington State Quarter Horse Association and often did charity events with one particular woman who had a lot of money to throw around and sponsored AQHA benefit events. One day my GF was at her barn when two men in black suits showed up. She said she knew in an instant they were G men but had no clue why they would be there. They asked her a lot of question about her big AQHA sponsor and confiscated some items that were meant for auction (Silver Show Saddle, bridles, etc). Evidently the Feds had been tracking her for a while but after a recent event the woman had disappeared as had her husband. Husband was found in a freezer, he been shot full of ACE (a horse tranquilizer) wife was caught later and found with 7 different passports and a suitcase full of money. She was arrested but hung herself in jail before they could bring her up on charges.

Fuck horses. My grandfather and uncle sold more horses from the 30's to 2000 than I can fathom. From the 60's on they sold mostly rough stock for rodeo, many of theirs made it to very high levels, couple horse of the year. Hot blooded, wilder than shit. In the late 70's my grandfather started selling them off by the truckload, many went to the pack. He got the herd slimmed down to about 250, which is where it sits still today. Still wilder than shit they live year around in a 2000 acre pasture, cut 50 colts out every year and send them off. Most of the studs are dead, big Percheron hot blooded mean bastards, just a lot of mares living the dream running around in a big ass pasture wild as can be. You want some bring a trailer and catch them, they're free.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Swimmers rented a house that came with two horses and all the tack. We had a nam' vet that found peace in horses and came by every day to tend them. I'd arrive from class to prepared horses and go for a ride up Mt. Ashland with the woman pictured. Horse was palomino just like Ed.

So, that wasnt Little Richard?
    In with the 9.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander#2 View Post
    Fuck horses.
    Enumclaw.