Anyone been to a sports psychologist?

I'm definitely not good enough at any sport to need one, but at work I feel like I have a whole other level that I can't quite tap into.

I know that the mental game is super important, and that sports psychologists help people get there.

Anyone ever been to one? What's it like? Is this what a normal shrink would do, too? How would I go about finding one?

My BIL is a professional golfer and he's gone to one when he's had some mental issues w/ his game. Said it helped him overcome some nervousness. I think he should just divorce his wife and that would solve most of his problems, but I'm no psychologist.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Unfortunately I'm happily married, so divorce probably wouldn't help me out.

I've known this guy since he was a kid, he's worked with a lot of different people including my son, who loves him. I guess he's not actually a psychologist but he works with people on the mental aspects of sports performance and has had a lot of success. Might be worth contacting if you're interested. http://corementaltraining.com/about/

I went to one for horse showing when I moved up a division to higher/wider fences (I competed in "A System" shows across the western states and Canada). I needed to hone my focus and accuracy. Mistakes I could get away with at a lower fence height could have serious consequences for me and my horse in the upper divisions.

The guy I went to had offices by the UW - he was someone other riders had used so I didn't have to go through the hassle of finding someone on my own. Never having been to any other kind of counselor I can't compare and contrast for you but I did find it helpful. He gave me several breathing exercises in combination with mental focus cues that helped to bring me, for lack of a better description, "into myself".

I combined what I learned from the sports psychologist with shiatsu. The intense massage seemed to help align my mind and body both mentally and physically when I was sitting in the saddle not to mention it was wonderful. LOL!
    Last edited by KQ; 05-26-2015 at 01:16 PM.

I think the most successful sports psychologist in the land is Bob Rotella. He's written numerous books, my favorite of which is Golf is Not a Game of Perfect. I'm certain it can help absolutely anyone in numerous aspects in their life. Extremely highly recommended.

His focus is on golf, but if you look at rid resume of helped athletes you'll see his practices and teachings are not exclusively related to golf.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Cool. Thanks guys. This is all good info.

Psychologists can be helpful in a way that's not obvious until they point it out - sort of like:

"When you act like this (describe conduct), are you getting what you want?"
    "No."
    "Then don't act that way..."

"Do you ever act in other ways (describe conduct), and get good results?"
    "Yes."
    "Then do more of that..."

Then, you end up scratching your head and wondering "Why couldn't I just figure that out by myself?..."

But, it's hard sometimes to see the beast when you're inside of the beast...

First world problems thread.
    Live Free or Die

This guy, Eric Orton, is my neighbor and has written/ contributed to some good books that address sports psychology (he was the coach in Born to Run that trained the author for the copper canyon race)
    http://www.runningwitheric.com/
    he's running-focused but he coaches all athletes- mtn bikers, I think he has some NHL athletes, etc. and he does online/ distance coaching too which might be worth trying out.

I stand in front of the mirror before a rowdy day and say "You're special and people love you" its all lies but it really gets my head straight.

It sounds like you need a life coach...PM Parvo
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    I'm definitely not good enough at any sport to need one, but at work I feel like I have a whole other level that I can't quite tap into.
    So you're considering going to a sports psychologist to improve your performance at work? Now that's dedication!

What would your grandpa of done?

Drink some whiskey and push those feelings of inadequacy deep inside and let them destroy your marriage.

Harden the fuck up.

Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    It sounds like you need a life coach...PM Parvo
    I don't think I could handle Parvo's life.....

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    What would your grandpa of done?

Drink some whiskey and push those feelings of inadequacy deep inside and let them destroy your marriage.

Harden the fuck up.
    Yeah, drowning out my sorrows and feelings with booze is definitely on my list of life skills. This isn't about any feelings, it's about being the best.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    So you're considering going to a sports psychologist to improve your performance at work? Now that's dedication!
    Gotta make them dolla billz yo!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I stand in front of the mirror before a rowdy day and say "You're special and people love you" its all lies but it really gets my head straight.

One word: Modafinil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    One word: Modafinil.
    What does that do?