Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ask me Anything: I'm Chinese Snowboard Wang Lei

(Markus Fischer photo)

Alright, something a little different for your AMA this month. Tomorrow from 11 am to 2 pm MST, we'll be hosting Chinese pro snowboarder Wang Lei. Wang grew up in Ji Lin city, now lives in Beijing, and has been a pro since 2004, occasionally also being described as a pop star by local press. His website is here: http://wanglei.tv/

Wang's also a member of J. Jones' environmental organization, protect our winters, and president of the china snowboard association. I'm sure you're all super curious as to what's going on with skiing/riding given China's rapid growth and growth into snowsports, including their bid for the winter olympics. Ask away and we'll see Wang Lei back here tomorrow from 11-2...
    Last edited by WaistDeepGroomers; 05-22-2015 at 10:51 AM.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Oh dear God... What could possibly go wrong?
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

I'll open!!
    What's it like to be a pro snowboarder in a country that will run you over with a tank on international TV if you protest for free speech?
    What's your view on the genocide that has taken place in Tibet, and how do you help people like the Dali Lama when you are at events?
    Would you be willing to wear a Human Rights Watch international sticker on your board?
    Last edited by Canada1; 05-21-2015 at 08:07 AM.

as i dont know shit about China snow sports, how about staring off with a little education for me/us? where do you ride? conditions? links? pics?
    Last edited by hawkgt; 05-21-2015 at 07:58 AM.

how does your hat stay on, when its that far back on your head?

What is your local hill?

Where are the best places to ski in China?

Are there any affordable hippy mountain towns left?

What in the fuck is the Chinese Downhill?

Is your snowbored made in the USA?

Is holding the Winter Olympics in Beijing as bad of an idea as it looks?

Will you be representing China at the Bobby Baker Invintational?
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Is your snowbored made in the USA?
    Excellent query!

Question Ice & Snow Festival?

Have you been up to Harbin for the Ice/Snow Sculpture Festival?
    Do you think you could ride any of the Features?
    Would it be allowed?

As you are a member of POW, do you ever wish that the Bicycle was still the main means of transport in The Middle Kingdom?

Are there any Hottie Skier/'boarder chix in China that we should keep an eye out for?

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

How does being a pro rider in China differ from the US? Do you have to work other jobs, or are you relatively well-to-do?

I had a Tibetan student a few years back, a refugee. She was born in Nepal. Her father, who had previously been arrested for praying, fled from Chinese occupied Tibet on foot into Nepal with a group of 30 people. They came under fire from Chinese soldiers, after which they were caught in a storm. Traveling through the mountains with wounded comrades slowed them considerably. The bad weather never ceased. My student's father was one of 3 of the original 30 who survived the journey. He later married, had children and was able to bring his family from a refugee camp in Nepal to New York City. His daughter is now an ER nurse working in Philadelphia.

How do you feel your vaunted career as a mountain athlete compares with this group of 30 who fled into the mountains in search of freedom?

Also, does Quanjude still serve the best duck in Beijing? It's been 10 years. I could use some good duck right about now. And if you see my friend Darcy (a Chinese-Ecuadorian dude from Toronto who's really good at hockey) who's been chilling in the 'Jing since I left tell him Wazzzzzzaaaaaaaaap.

Hello - it's not too many of my people that aren't solely 100% into the pursuit of money and buying useless shit.

How do your parents feel about you being a "professional snowboarder"?

How many times do they ask you if you're going to get a real job?

Have you been to Whistler? Do you want to? If you do want to, get in touch and I'll make something happen.

Hey thanks for coming on. I'm wondering how you discovered snowboarding and Jeremy Jones. Were there any cool trips or moments in the mountains that inspired you to focus on snowboarding?? For me it was a trip through Salt Lake City to Seattle and being awestruck by the towering mountains. Endless opportunities for recreation and relaxation.

Also, how hard is it representing an organization like P.O.W. in a country with a tough political climate like China? So far the Chinese Government seems to have put more focused on developing and stabilizing their economy than reducing carbon emissions.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    based on what the glorious leader sayz

whacha packin bro?
    isnt it tough to shoot straight jazzhandin wang?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

You drinkin that haterade meng!? :P

Fireworks?

Are you any good at driving our people always suck when they get behind the wheel ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm really torn on this. The anger I feel towards their government shouldn't be focused towards their athletes. They are not responsible for the pollution or human rights violations. They could be an instrument for change, but if they attempted to be that instrument, I think they would be put in a small farming community and forced in to labor and poverty for the rest of their lives. Then I think about sponsorship money for their athletes, and how upset that I am that our companies go and chase the dollar in China because it is such a huge opportunity. Then I go to Walmart and buy some cheap shit made in China. I really am torn by all of this.

A lot of foreigners have anger towards the US government, but they don't let misplaced anger let them ask dumb, uneducated, questions to athletes like you guys do.

He likes mountains and we like mountains; is that enough? We all can't be the guy standing in front of a tank. I'm not that guy, he's not that guy. Lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    as i dont know shit about China snow sports, how about staring off with a little education for me/us? where do you ride? conditions? links? pics?
    Hey everyone, Hi hawkgt, good questions here! I ride everywhere I can in China...Beijing area, the during the summer indoors and dry slopes, up North East are a bit larger resorts, and Western China around Kanas boasts nice terrain. Beijing Area's resorts are all mostly small, and operated with man made snow, these conditions are very good for beginners. Check out the Website Boardzone(dot)cn and instagram (at)chinasnowboardassociation for stories, news, photos.

Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post
    Oh dear God... What could possibly go wrong?
    Nothing and everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I'll open!!
    What's it like to be a pro snowboarder in a country that will run you over with a tank on international TV if you protest for free speech?
    What's your view on the genocide that has taken place in Tibet, and how do you help people like the Dali Lama when you are at events?
    Would you be willing to wear a Human Rights Watch international sticker on your board?
    Never forget or deny the past is all I can comment.