What shoes, what harness?

Just picked these up:

and this harness package:

For my new gym.

I tried the shoes on, but have never used that harness. The package price was right, and it is just for the gym, so it should work just fine.

Anyone have any experience with this harness or the shoes?

Both should work well. Miuras have been around for a long time and are a popular shoe. BD Momentum package is pretty standard. Lots of peoples' first harness. ATC XP is a good belay device.

You'll be happy with that for gym climbing, and even when/if you head outdoors.

Only part of the package I own personally is the belay device (old version), but I sold a bazillion of them when I worked at REI and know a lot of people who climb on that gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Yeah,v good basic stuff that will serve you well. If and when you get into more specific types of climbing you might want more specialized gear, but that will sever you for 90+% of what you are likely to climb for many years.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I used to climb a lot, but my gear was really old.
    Didn't feel like spending a ton on cash on a crazy harness that will only see gym use.
    Didn't want to be the guy showing up with a brand new big wall rig for the gym.
    Glad I was thinking right.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I used to climb a lot, but my gear was really old.
    Didn't feel like spending a ton on cash on a crazy harness that will only see gym use.
    Didn't want to be the guy showing up with a brand new big wall rig for the gym.
    Glad I was thinking right.
    Just tell them you are training for Alaska (or El Cap.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

So sore.

The shoes are money. Didn't get to use the harness.

Training for friday works for me right now.

that's pretty much where i started. never a fan of that atc though.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Those shoes are my go-tos, although they are pricey to be learning on in a gym. Typically you wear through a set or two on the high friction gym walls learning proper foot technique. I try to wear old shoes at the gym and leave the nice Miuras for outside. But whatever, it's a good problem to have in your case.

Have the harness, works great. Solid value & reliable (though all harnesses are... they almost never fail)

Have the same ATC, works great for me.

Just remember when you're learning, climbing isn't about brute strength. Body movement, balance, core strength and creativity are what will get you up the climbing ranks the fastest. Oh and if your elbows get sore do palm down stretchy bicep curls to build strength and help balance out the muscle you're adding on the other side.

Have fun and tie that knot right

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Just remember when you're learning, climbing isn't about brute strength. Body movement, balance, core strength and creativity are what will get you up the climbing ranks the fastest.
    To add to this, climb with your feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    To add to this, climb with your feet!
    ...and your head.

iscariot

Not new to it, just been a while, and I am a bit older. Not much heavier, thank god.

I learned in the amphitheater in Boulder. Super fun top ropes with an easy hike in.
    Moved on to some Canyon top ropes. Never did lead climbs.

Climb with your feet is always the plan, but sometimes it just feels so good to muscle it out.
    My fingers were not ready. Only gets better after this.

As for the price of the shoes, it was more about fit. I tried the cheaper ones, and they felt, well, cheap. Hope they last a while, but in the grand scheme, it is a pretty cheap sport compared to other stuff I do and used to do.

Nice, yeah they are worth it. I try to snag misfits on mountain project for cheap. They have minor delamination issues for me, but it hasn't affected performance.

It's nice having good rubber under your feet, one less variable to have to worry about.

I had a long hiatus from climbing as well. Bought some new shoes for the bouldering wall at the gym. For some reason one day I grabbed an old pair of shoes (70's vintage), and holy shit did I find it was impossible to climb in that crap. Being so long out of it I hadn't realized just how much the rubber changed

Then I watched "Valley Uprising" and the stone masters were all putting up big shit in the same vintage shoes. Those bastard were tough. Of course Robbins, Chounard, Harding, et al, we're even tougher using even more antiquated gear. Technology does matter.

iscariot

resoling your shoes before wearing out the rand will save you the cost of new shoes. most climbing shoe cobblers do their resoling in batches, sometimes one batch per week.

have fun!