Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hey Insect Experts...Giant Asian Wasp?

Found this monster in my 2 yr old daughter's room. Looks like one of them there Giant Oriental.. I mean, Asian Wasps.

They are known for killing Yaks... No big deal

If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Yikes! I had a HUGE one land on me in Central America last summer.

I Googled wasp species, and had no luck finding reports of the giant wasp (Japan I believe) in that area.

However, I did see a few anecdotal accounts from the southern states.

Perhaps some foreign wasp eggs occasionally travel to the states and result in fucking terrifying bugs.

Unless you live in Asia that's just a fucking hornet.

This is a Giant Asian Hornet:

Notice the no hairs thing.

wasp v hornet

Oh it's definitely a hornet but AFAIK the Giant Asian Hornet doesn't have hairs on it's back like the "normal" one pictured above.

Unless you live in Asia!
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Regardless of where the bugger is from, I suggest using all means available to kill them all.
    sigless.

^Ha @ DD

Biggest bee type thing I've seen is a cicada killer. They burrow in the ground and sometimes a field will be full of them. I think that's what they are. The pictures from Google Image Search look a bit different. The ones in Westchester were fatter (like the people), reddish and white, and big. Really big. I saw a dead one upside down and man the stinger was probably a good quarter inch to a centimeter. Not too many big things with too many or too few legs in western Montana that can really hurt you. It's nice.

Sleep well!
    That picture of the hornet on the hand, yeesh.
    I finally got stung by a paper wasp last summer. Made me a lot less scared of them. Haven't seen any yellow jackets out here, but I heard they're around. Stay the fuck away from those guys. And bald faced hornets with the big paper balls hanging from the tree. EEP.

ETA: Tip, that thing totally has hairs on it. Put on your glasses, old man. They look a little different. Booner's might be a Queen that grew up to go out on her own and start her own nest. Kill it with fire.
    Thanks for creeping me the fuck out again, y'all.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Biggest hornet I ever saw. Asian guy with him was pretty bad ass too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1432048377.432004.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	167304

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

When I was a kid we called them timber hornets. They have ground based nests and were mean little buggers. We would whack them with tennis racquets and they would get up and come at you again. Sometimes it took 3 hits to kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Oh it's definitely a hornet but AFAIK the Giant Asian Hornet doesn't have hairs on it's back like the "normal" one pictured above.
    It could be dust, we don't know how clean teh Booner's keep their home.

Looks like a yellowjacket. You may have found the queen--they are quite a bit larger than the workers. They are the only ones that survive the winter and go on to build nests and lay eggs for the next gen. Not a good thing in the house obviously.
    Last edited by Timberridge; 05-19-2015 at 09:44 AM.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by permnation View Post
    am i the only one not really seeing a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    am i the only one not really seeing a difference?
    Here is a better perspective.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53479d1379951611-hornet-vs-wasp-when-goliath-won-over-david-wasp_zps925ed7f5.jpg 
Views:	5640 
Size:	363.0 KB 
ID:	167305

You can probably figure out which one is which.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Biggest bee type thing I've seen is a cicada killer. They burrow in the ground and sometimes a field will be full of them. I think that's what they are. The pictures from Google Image Search look a bit different. The ones in Westchester were fatter (like the people), reddish and white, and big. Really big. I saw a dead one upside down and man the stinger was probably a good quarter inch to a centimeter. Not too many big things with too many or too few legs in western Montana that can really hurt you. It's nice.

Sleep well!
    I finally got stung by a paper wasp last summer. Made me a lot less scared of them. Haven't seen any yellow jackets out here, but I heard they're around. Stay the fuck away from those guys. And bald faced hornets with the big paper balls hanging from the tree. EEP.

ETA: Tip, that thing totally has hairs on it. Put on your glasses, old man. They look a little different. Booner's might be a Queen that grew up to go out on her own and start her own nest. Kill it with fire.
    Used to have to kill those mothers around some apartment complexes during my short stint as a pest control professional. We sprayed them with this dust called Ficam. Wasnt a knockdown, but more like a bring back to the nest deal...put a little bulb sprayer at the end of a pole and give er a squeeze in the hole and those mothers come flying out covered in the dust. We used to call em powdered donuts..big stingers, not super aggressive in my experience...

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Unless you live in Asia that's just a fucking hornet.

This is a Giant Asian Hornet:

Notice the no hairs thing.
    That thing is terrifying. I remember getting stung by yellow jackets as a little kid, felt like fire and my whole face swelled up.

I do not want the insects of other continents or warmer climates, fuck bullet ants, army ants, huge wasps, fire ants, etc.

Sleep well!

I remember them from when I was a kid. We would stir them up and pound them with tennis racquets. Sometimes we would swat the shit out of them and they would get back up and come at us again. Bad ass hornets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan30 View Post
    Yeah dear it is a Giant Asian Hornet...Do you guys have any recommendations?
    Hide your yaks.

So where does a yellowjacket fall on the wasp/hornet continuum, then? Always been confused about this.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    So where does a yellowjacket fall on the wasp/hornet continuum, then? Always been confused about this.
    Well they are all vespids.

I got stung a LOT this summer. 6 times hauling hay (I was in the hay loft and could not get away) by yellow jackets. They are not all that bad. The 3 times by bald face hornets (they HURT!) sucked. Also we had a honey bee hive move in underneath the barn floor. They are welcome even if a couple got me.

Anyhow I saw a good comparison a bit ago I'll try to dig it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    They are just different genus within the social wasp family. I've never been stung by a true hornet, but I can tell you that a bald faced "hornet" (not a true hornet but a yellow jacket sub-species) has a much more painful and longer lasting sting than the normal yellow jacket. Yellow jacket stings subside to a mildly painful itch after a few hours but those bald-faced stings throb for 24 hours. Based on the color pattern of the thorax, Booner's bug looks like a european hornet, the only species of true hornets found in North America.

Yellow jacket nests can be a major pain in the ass when they are too close to where you live and play but if they are in an out of the way part of the yard leave them be. Yellow jackets are meat eaters and will consume a lot of pest insects. The nest dies off by mid-fall after the next generation of queens departs and rarely gets reoccupied. The queens will crawl in through the crevices of your house looking for a warm place to spend the winter. I'd get lots of both species in my old rustic cabin every year. They get sluggish and start to crawl around and then they find there way into places you really don't want like your bed or the couch. Last year, I put my palm down on a baldface crawling on the arm of the couch.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 10-15-2015 at 09:31 AM.

In Vegas, we don't have to worry as much about hornets/wasps(we do have them) but more the bark scorpions...killed two this morning alone in my house

Burn n Turn

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    When I was a kid we called them timber hornets. They have ground based nests and were mean little buggers. We would whack them with tennis racquets and they would get up and come at you again. Sometimes it took 3 hits to kill them.
    I remember them from when I was a kid. We would stir them up and pound them with tennis racquets. Sometimes we would swat the shit out of them and they would get back up and come at us again. Bad ass hornets.
    Growing up where I did, I remember calling them tennis hornets, or maybe timber hornets, I don't remember. They are bad ass hornets who live in the ground and boy are they mean. I used to borrow my old man's Wilson T2000 and give 'em the ol' Jimmy Connors, but they just kept coming. Now I'm a hornet and it's

We used to do this with carpenter bees and a whiffle bat. They were somewhat less resilient, but man, they'd fly a mile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.