Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    AYAYAYAYAyyahssakfjkldsljfajldlsjflkjdlj;k! Yesterday I finally did a bench set of 10 reps of 150lbs with very very little shoulder pain!!!! I love my doctor cause he did a great job on a very invasive surgery!! AYayayayslakjflskdjf lkjdlfjlk; !

Quote Originally Posted by Steezus Christ
    AYAYAYAYAyyahssakfjkldsljfajldlsjflkjdlj;k! Yesterday I finally did a bench set of 10 reps of 150lbs with very very little shoulder pain!!!! I love my doctor cause he did a great job on a very invasive surgery!! AYayayayslakjflskdjf lkjdlfjlk; !
    Nice dude. I rode for three hours on Sunday between lifting on Saturday and Monday. Felt great. Benching just the bar right now, but it feels good to be able to move my shoulder like that at all.

Schweeeet! I just hope we all learn our lesson and keep up with the balance muscle building routines. I know I havn't been lately But I have been at it hard in the gym, probably too hard. But I seem to see huge improvements as far as range of motion associated pain. Although I am probably doing something bad for it since the doctors never said I should be going all out in the gym.

ouch! i'm too lazy to read the whole thread but i just separated my shoulder today in a truck rolling incident. go to the ortho monday am to see if he wants to pin/screw it together.
    any advice?
    had to go drive in the fresh snow an now i'm screwed
    Being grown-up sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Flake
    ouch! i'm too lazy to read the whole thread but i just separated my shoulder today in a truck rolling incident. go to the ortho monday am to see if he wants to pin/screw it together.
    any advice?
    had to go drive in the fresh snow an now i'm screwed

Sucks guy. Let us obsessive rehab foos know how things go. Lots of advice to be had here.

Good luck, heal fast.

thanks man. i go to the orthopedic surgeon first thing tomorrow morning. he'll decide then if it needs a screw or if they just want me to try to heal it au natural. i'm hoping for the scew, otherwise i see this becomming a recurring thing.
    Being grown-up sucks!

thanks man. i go to the orthopedic surgeon first thing tomorrow morning. he'll decide then if it needs a screw or if they just want me to try to heal it au natural. i'm hoping for the scew, otherwise i see this becomming a recurring thing.
    Hey Flake. Sorry to hear about the injury. Did you separate or dislocate the shoulder? Typically, there's not much that they do surgically for separated shoulders.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

well spanky you hit the nail on the head. it's an ac sepatation so the ortho said it's a wait and see how it heals situation. much less doom and gloom than the er doc gave me the other day. a little rest, then some rehab and i'll be good to go. fingers crossed
    Being grown-up sucks!

well spanky you hit the nail on the head. it's an ac sepatation so the ortho said it's a wait and see how it heals situation. much less doom and gloom than the er doc gave me the other day. a little rest, then some rehab and i'll be good to go. fingers crossed

Good news. Rest up/heal up.

thanks for the kind thoughts everyone. i've taken the time to read the whole thread now and will be checking out my rehab program compared to what everyone else had. i'd hate to do it wrong and screw myself. i guess i'll have to walk for a bit, maybe ride my trainer until a can run. that should keep the legs ready for when the shoulder is good to ski.
    Being grown-up sucks!

i have a torn lebrum in both shoulders and they pop out quite often, they dont really hinder my climbin, surfin, skiin, ect. but they do pop out and ache on occasion. they feel really loose and come close to poppin out quite a bit. when i do arm circles they crack and pop. i really dont want to get surgery, does anyone know of an alternative, yoga? also when they pop out the pop right back in. fookin shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by higheddies
    i have a torn lebrum in both shoulders and they pop out quite often, they dont really hinder my climbin, surfin, skiin, ect. but they do pop out and ache on occasion. they feel really loose and come close to poppin out quite a bit. when i do arm circles they crack and pop. i really dont want to get surgery, does anyone know of an alternative, yoga? also when they pop out the pop right back in. fookin shoulders
    I dunno, mine popped out constantly for two years, it sucked. Now that I am post-op and rehabing- I see just how weak I had become by effectively not having a stable, usable arm. I certainly don't want to tell you surgery is the only way, but I think a good orthopod's advice would be to fix 'em.

How'd you hurt both shoulders?

Quote Originally Posted by higheddies
    How do you know you have two torn labrums? Do you know how much is torn, and where (anterior, superior, inferior, posterior)?

Surgery is intended to fix a functional disability and/or pain in the joint. If it functions mechanically the way it is supposed to without pain, then the underlying pathology (labrum tear or whatever) doesn’t matter. At least that is what I keep telling myself

The other thing to consider is having both shoulders done could take a year since you would probably do one at a time, unless you can live without your arms for 6 weeks.

You can do a lot to strengthen your shoulders and prevent dislocations without surgery. A doc can prescribe PT, which you may want to consider because normal gym exercises will not do the trick.

I can't believe it. You'll never believe what happened to me today. I went to my GP to get a referrral for some physio/rehab since the orthopedic guy is impossible to get in to see. The Doc tells me I don't need any rehab, just sit around and wait, time will heal. WTF? An I on crack? I thought that once you rip things out of place they aren't going back to the original state. Won't the resultant slop in the shoulder mean I need some work to keep things stable? I'd rather not be screwing up my shoulder on a regular basis if there is anything I can do to make it better. Advice? Suggestions?
    Being grown-up sucks!

Flake- find another ortho to see (or see if the one who's hard to get an appointment with has a good nurse practitioner- he/she should be able to advise you in much the same way the doc would). In the meantime- request your GP get an MRI done on you to really assess the damage.

See an orthopod though- even if it means waiting a bit.

Updates?

How's everybody doin?

I'm done with formal PT. Lifting normally, though still a bit limited in range of motion (no flat bar benching yet- not even enough in my ROM).

Had a bad (read: lazy) couple of vacation weeks- feeling the tightness build up- need to get my routine back down stat.

Still, the feeling of popping off a hit using both my arms for balance is a great one, as is rag-dolling and not having my arm pop out. Best thing so far though is sex with strong, stable shoulders- Fuckin'A Yeah!

Gonna resurect this thread because you guys have been through all this & I just had a look down the barrel of the shoulder surgury gun. It's not a pleasant view.

6-12-06
    Head first slide into home plate playing softball. Collision with catcher on my left shoulder thinking:"ooooh this might hurt". Hop up, pleased to find that my left side is a-o-kay, shocked to find that my right arm doesn't work. No pain if it's hanging there, but moving it is like a hot poker in the shoulder. Foolish me plays the rest of the game, making a couple really terrible and horrificly painfull throws in from center field.

6-13-06
    Nest morning, pain with movement. Constant dull ache of a pain, only about 60% of what past broken bones have been so I presume that I do not have a fracture. No range of motion whatsoever. Maybe 5-10 degrees from straight down in any direction.

I just know my shoulder is screwed.

Started shopping for an orthopod. Co-workers at the Fire Dept and a top quality PT guy all recomend the same ortho guy, so I started lobbying hard for a visit ASAP! I don't drive a desk where I can get away with having a sling. I've got to get better. Fast.

Got in to see the orthopedist the next day! (knowing people is nice)

6-14-06
    Dr. says that he's having a tough time believing what he's seeing, because I not old (31) and I'm not a baseball pitcher, I shouldn't have a torn rotator cuff. X-ray taken in hopes of finding a fracture that can explain the pain. All return negative. Next step- MRI to confirm the suspected tear.

6-16-06
    MRI tech won't tell you anything because of the whole liability thing. I gave him some crap about that going in. As I was leaving the MRI tech asks when my followup appointment is.... June 22 I tell him. He says that "if" the reading comes back posative, that he'll call the Dr. & see if I can't get in a little sooner. I'm hearing "your shoulder is so screwed that even I can see it. Plan for the worst"

6-17-06 1:00am
    Just finished reading a couple of threads detailing shoulder surgury & the associated PT and long recovery time. Slightly bummed at this moment. It's gonna be a while before I'm driving my fire engine again. I'm just gratefull that it isn't September right now. I should be back for the winter of 06-07, no prob. right?

Oh yeah, I got called out on the play at home.

Quote Originally Posted by hose-man
    I should be back for the winter of 06-07, no prob. right?
    Should be okay, but when are you going to actually have it done? And what type of surgery?

I had open surgery on October 8th and the doc said I should be good to go by New Year's. But then it turned out things were a little more fucked up in there than he had initially thought and I needed a new labrum, so he told me that I should basically write the season off. Obviously I went skiing anyway...

Don't have a firm diagnosis or treatment schedule yet. The MRI was just yesterday, the Radiologist will read it & report by monday afternoon. Tueday I'm guessing we'll get in for a meeting to make the big plan.

freaks~in~creeks Guest
    its gonna be slow recovering if its a major tear etc
    just take it slow and prepare for the 6 month plus recovery time from an invasive procedure
    follow pt maniacally
    get a new bong

Laberal Tear surgery

I am an emt with the New York City Fire Dept. I just had arthroscopic surgery this past december. This coming friday, I shall find out if I no longer need to wear my sling anymore. I have motion, to my right shoulder(that's the shoulder i recieved surgery on) yet it is very limited. I am wondering, being that my job consists of lifting eople/patients out of their residence, or out of my ambulance on a stretcher, will I ever be able to do this sort of work anymore? I just started ohysical therapy, and I am not taking any pain medication(i get a bad reaction to certain meds), and I am still on medical leave. I would just like to know, should I be confident and if so, how soon before I can do my job again, and if it is at all going to be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
    Use the Iceman!!!!

B)
    I'm a little partial here, but ice is going to be your friend. Here's where I would go to get ice packs and ice wraps for shoulder surgery recovery. http://www.icewraps.net/shoulder-ice-wraps.html

I called their 800 # (800-650-wraps) and also got a discount. Good luck!

Matt