Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Good luck Wong.

Heal fast.

Thanks guys! I am in the club. Sitting in the recovery room I was working on my comedy routine to the amusement of everyone around. This was my first surgery it was pretty weird.

Why didn't someone tell me it hurt so bad trying to sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd Wong
    Why didn't someone tell me it hurt so bad trying to sleep!
    Gee, I think I counted 7 occurrences of the word sleep (or one of it's many forms) on the first page of this thread.

Try to sleep sitting up and support yourself with a bunch of pillows - both behind your shoulder and under your arm/armpit (between your arm and chest).

Also, don't be afraid to use the pain pills.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Wow the first night was terrible! But it really gets better fast after that!

12 weeks post-op yesterday. I got the OK from my therapist on Monday to start riding a bike again - but only on flat paved surfaces. It's estimated I should be able to start MTB'ing in about another month or so. Today, the therapist put me through some strength tests (resisting his pressure in several directions) and he said I'm doing real well.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty good. I'm pretty close to full range of motion overhead (think "touchdown" motion). The external rotation range is still a little tight, but progressing each week. As for sleep, I'm now at the point where the shoulder doesn't wake me up anymore - I've probably been that way for a couple of weeks now.

Still doing the same exercises that I listed in my 10 week post-op update just with increased weight and/or reps. Still going to PT 2 times per week. My expectation is I should be good to ski this year - I just doubt I'll get much skiing in with my son being born in early December.

Here's a little upbeat message for those of about to be cut, or going through rehab.

1 year,9 months after my surgery and the shoulder is working fine.
    My dog did not bite your dog, your dog bit first, and I don't have a dog.

Graduation Day!

GRADUATION DAY!

I graduated from PT today! 14 weeks post-op with 13 weeks of either 3x or 2x per week of PT. Went into therapy this morning expecting a typical session and shortly after my warm-up, the therapist puts me through some strength/ROM tests and nonchalantly says to me, "You're doing well, we'll see you again in a month." I was just a little surprised since I had 2x/week sessions scheduled for the next 2 weeks. He said I should continue my excercise and stretching routine on my own and just take it easy till next month. So, technically, I still have to go back to therapy, but just not 2x/week. I consider this a graduation!

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    Here's a little upbeat message for those of about to be cut, or going through rehab.

1 year,9 months after my surgery and the shoulder is working fine.
    Thanks Will. That's a sweet pic. Where was it taken?

11 weeks post-op.

I'm extremely bored of walking and have lent the gemini I bought 3 weeks post-op to basom to use until I'm able (sympathy bike TR/video?). I'm pretty sick of not having an upper body to use.

That said, I'm doing well. ROM is still on schedual for another month as my main focus, then light strengthening through December and then kick-me-in-the-head strengthening for a few months thereafter.

Back on my bike at the end of Semptember (mellow buff only- so easy to find on the EC ), start the winter off on groomers until around January, then off to the races.

Not that I'm obsessed with dates or anything...

Quote Originally Posted by spanky
    Thanks Will. That's a sweet pic. Where was it taken?
    Summit of Chopicalqi (roughly 21,000 ft.) in the Cordillera Blanca of Peru.
    My dog did not bite your dog, your dog bit first, and I don't have a dog.

Close to 8 weeks out of surgery myself. I found the only way I could sleep in bed was on my side with the shoulder up most of the way with a body pillow supporting. Gradually I lowered this but still had my shoulder and arm up at my side instead of letting it drop down.

I could not take the pain killers at all. They made me puke and effected my heart rate. I ended up using both tylenol and motrin and it did the trick.

My shoulder was not in quite as bad of shape as some of you. I had only a small full depth tear and the rest was frayed. I also had a huge bone spur that had to be removed. I have not officially been to therapy, the doctor was pleased with my progress on the 3 times I have seen him. I have a sister that was a PT some time ago and has been doing things with me. The pool is great. I started off in shallow end about a week after the stitches came out, small circles with my arm.

I am now able to swim laps using the breast stroke, I have trouble with freestyle and can do one or two laps only.

I go to the doctor at 9 am tomorrow. I think that he will want me to start with formal PT to strengthen it.

Good Luck to everyone else!

My appointment was yesterday, not today. What an idiot I am. Now I have to wait another week for an appointment.

i've got a 3rd degree shoulder seperation that i'm recovering from now (no surgery)....

are any of you guys thinking of wearing body armor with shoulder protector now?

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy
    i've got a 3rd degree shoulder seperation that i'm recovering from now (no surgery)....

I just wear a neoprene brace. It does little to protect the shoulder, but serves as a good physical reminder not to raise my arm above my shoulder.

Well I finally graduated about 2 weeks ago which was about 4 months post-op(capsular shift & anchoring labrum back into place). They said don't use heavy weights till my 6 month mark, but I have been slowly using them the last 2 weeks anyways But my shoulder feels awesome when I work out and lately I never notice any pain unless I am doing something crazy with my arm above my head, (like rubbing one off.)

I was actually really lazy with my stretch routine at home so PT was a bitch, but I think trying to be as active as possible using the pool has been really good for my shoulder.

Here's to my Doctor who seems to have done an excellent job

didn't see this till just now. glad to hear lots of success stories.

I had a "mini open" last February (2004) to fix a totally torn rotator cuff. Couple of things I'll add, being now 1.5 years out.

KEEP UP THE PT! I'm a bonehead, and didn't keep up with it nearly as much as I should have. I regret it. I definitely do not trust my right arm (operated one) as much as my left.

Yes - sleeping on bad shoulders sucks.

Try not to "guard" the post op shoulder. I find (even now) that I don't relax my right shoulder, and I"ve had a whole mess of neck and upper back problems.

And for those about to have the surgery, take the drugs, for godsakes. It's much easier to manage pain before it starts than to get it under control once it's in full force.

And DO take some time off from work, or at least go easy. I have a pretty busy job that goes in waves, and I had my surgery at a really busy time of year. That was a mistake. I was miserable.

Good luck to those who have surgery coming up, and congrats to those who got it done!
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

It's really interesting to read everyone's accounts of shoulder surgery. I feel like I was lucky. THe only pain i really experienced was having to be a lefty for a couple months

I myself had arthroscopic surgery done on my right shoulder in may 04. The connective tissue of my shoulder was a sloppy mess, and i had pits in the ball, and bone fragments floating around in the joint. (2 violent dislocations dirtbiking, and 4 or so after that doing every day things. I could never reduce it myself and it was always a long time till i could get medical attention. the last time was 12+ hrs. i would have given my left nut for some painkillers, and my right for some sleep. Turns out I'm immune to demerol)

After the surgery I had to keep my arm in a sling for 6 weeks, and go back after 2 to get the stiches removed. The doc perscibed T3s for pain, but surprisingly I experienced next to no discomfort unless I rolled over on my arm during the night. After my arm came out of the sling it was like a limp noodle with very little flexibility. After 6 or so weeks of PT my arm functioned quite well, but I was still careful of it. I probably should have done more PT.

last winter I crashed bad and tweaked my shoulder again. I tore a little muscled but after 2 more weeks of PT I was good as gold.

I guess it's been nearly 1.5 years since the operation. My arm is great unless I'm trying to throw a 100mph fastball. And that's just because i've been lazy and not kept up with the excersizes.

I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said... Lots of PT, LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR AND DON"T TAKE YOUR ARM OUT OF THE SLING EARLY. I DID AND IT WAS A MISTAKE.

thing twice before shaking someone's hand... it can hurt if your arm is not fully recovered.

Update (9/7)

Things are lookin' good. Have transitioned from range of motion and foundational resistance work to rom AND real strengthening. I've now added curls (16lbs- I'm an animal!), triceps, and flat-lying reverse lifts to rows and internal/external shoulder rotations- with weight (word!). I can now reach aaaaalmost all the way above my head (field goal!) and can fully extend my arm to reach without compromising any stability.

In 1 1/2 weeks it'll have been 16 weeks and that means (according to my surgeon) I'm clear to ride my bike. F'N A!

Pretty happy so far. Hope others are doing well also (Spanky, Steezus, Shepard, etc.).

Heal up, heal up, on the beat come, rewind...

Quote Originally Posted by biggins
    Update (9/7)

Things are lookin' good. Have transitioned from range of motion and foundational resistance work to rom AND real strengthening. I've now added curls (16lbs- I'm an animal!), triceps, and flat-lying reverse lifts to rows and internal/external shoulder rotations- with weight (word!). I can now reach aaaaalmost all the way above my head (field goal!) and can fully extend my arm to reach without compromising any stability.

In 1 1/2 weeks it'll have been 16 weeks and that means (according to my surgeon) I'm clear to ride my bike. F'N A!

Pretty happy so far. Hope others are doing well also (Spanky, Steezus, Shepard, etc.).

Heal up, heal up, on the beat come, rewind...
    Good news biggins!

I just went in for a check-up with my PT this morning (18 weeks post op) and one month since my last PT visit. He said everything looked good and I just had to do a little more specific strength training exercises. Also, I got clearance to resume full normal activity (but just to take it easy starting back out again). This means I can now mountain bike, do full weight lifting exercises in the gym (bench press, shoulder press, etc) and anything else I want to do. Again, with the reiteration that I should start off lightly and ease my way back into it.

I go for a check-up with my surgeon next month. I'm optimistic that he'll tell me I'm back to 100%.

My shoulder feels so good right now. But since I work out in an Air Force gym it is always crowded as hell, and I feel like a wuss working with light weights whenever I am doing upper body. So last night I put more weight on then I should while doing upright rows(for the ladies working out nearby.) During my third set I felt a bolt of lightning travel from my wounded shoulder down to my palm. I have always wanted to be able to shoot either fireballs or lightning out of my hands, but I changed my mind after I felt that.

Anyways, it sounds like we are all doing pretty damn good and we should all be good to go for skiing this season! LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT!

I had this a torn lebram repaired and ac joint cleaned out of arthritis exactly one year ago yesterday. I was not very good about PT and begin using it too early. As a result, its still in pain a lot of the time. I got an MRI recently and the doc said things had recovered nicely, but this does not discount the constant pain and limited range of motion. I still can't throw a baseball, and am always guarding it, cutting off circulation to the rest of my arm and rendering my hand numb much of the time. I was wondering if any one had any advice on a one year post-op strengthening, stretching routine. I dont have health insurance anymore so I cant go to PT, but I would really appreciate anything I could do at home with free weights, big ball, etc. Thanks, and awesome to hear that the vast majority of you healed nicely.

It's like riding a bike...

I went out for my first mountain bike ride today. Man, it felt good to spin in the woods again. It had been about 10 months since my last bike ride (remember, I injured my shoulder on New Year's eve). The tech skills were obviously rusty today and the stamina and strength aren't what they used to be, but the shoulder felt pretty good. I kept the ride short at 45 minutes and the terrain wasn't anywhere close to challenging. That was on purpose because I didn't know how the shoulder would handle it. Overall, I was very timid and worried about falling on the shoulder. I guess that was a good thing as it kept my speed down a bit.

With some more gym time to increase my strength and stamina, I'll be ready to go 100% on the more technical/challenging terrain real soon. I'm so stoked!

Arrow

Thanks Biggins! I think I have it easy. I have been just doing rom as p.t. and pushing against walls and pillows at home. Everything feels fine and I have very close to 100% of my motion back. Just waiting to see my doctor at the end of the month to get the ok to start weight training now. It hard because it feels ready to go, but I'm being good and writing off biking season so I'll be ready for ski season.

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy

Yes, I now only ski and rollerblade with my shoulder in a plastic shoulder protector. It's what football players wear to keep their shoulders from re-dislocating till they can have surgery at the end of the season ie it's designed for contact. Took a nasty spill the other week rollerblading and I'm still in one piece. Hanger is the name of the company that I got it from and it was actually covered by my medical insurance. Had 5 dislocations in 4 years and I haven't one since I started wearing it. If you get them fitted properly you don't really notice that you are wearing something no matter what kind of terrain you might what to ski.
    "Don't drive angry."

Best quote from the movie "Groundhog Day"