Telluride conditions?

We're going to be in Telluride Friday 5/22 through Tuesday 5/26. Is it worth the hassle of dragging bikes along from SLC? I'm leaning towards no at the moment since the resort webcams look pretty snowy and the current forecast is fairly cold and moist but I don't know the area well. The high elevation stuff is obviously out, but is there any riding close by (within a 30-minute drive or so) that is currently dry and still rideable when the weather is periodic rain showers with highs around 50?

Unless you are going to hit up some of the lower elevation stuff along the way, I'd say leave them at home. Cold and wet pattern looks to persist. I don't know much about the riding within a 30 minute radius, but assume its limited. Have you looked on mtbproject?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Phills World in Cortez is probably real good right now and from what I hear it's quality.

We'll have a 5 y.o. in tow, so stopping for a ride somewhere along the way is a hard sell. Going through Cortez is definitely not happening. Maybe Moab, mayyyybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    We'll have a 5 y.o. in tow, so stopping for a ride somewhere along the way is a hard sell. Going through Cortez is definitely not happening. Maybe Moab, mayyyybe.

Even if you just tool around town.
    The little man needs his ride!

Oh yeah, we'll take his bike no matter what. It's only our bikes we're debating.

I don't know about mud conditions but there is a lot of scenic country around that would be fun to ride. But on another note, you can walk from one end of TRide to the other, but if you want to explore various side streets etc a townie bike would be very applicable.

Isn't Fruita on the way? 18 rd might be good. Switch off taking laps/watching the kiddo

Quote Originally Posted by spankthepow View Post
    Isn't Fruita on the way? 18 rd might be good. Switch off taking laps/watching the kiddo
    +1 ride fruita/grand junction on your way there. If you want something closer to T-ride without going any further south check out the riding around Montrose (sidewinder, lower spring creek, Dry Creek Canyon). Seems like not many people know of the rides around there except for western slope locals, but the riding is great. Even closer, Ridgeway just started on a brand new trail system just in the last year or so: http://ridgwaytrails.com/trails/

Plan is to go through Moab and not GJ. My Dad and his girlfriend are coming with us (really we're going with them, they rented a house Telluride and then invited us along), so we hatched a plan last night to hand the kiddo off to Grandpa when we hit Moab, ride an Ahab lap and then meet back up with them in Telluride.

Thanks for the lead on Montrose stuff, I'm probably going to be spending a fair amount of time there this summer for work.

I heard the ladies hanging out in the Walmart parking lot in Montrose will take good care of ya.