Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

That's America to me

Just saw this and feeling great to be an American, enjoy!

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Is there a western 'democracy' that engages in a level of nationalist propaganda on the same level as the U.S.? I am actually curious if this kind of thing goes on regularly in other places. Seems where a bit off the chart in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    Is there a western 'democracy' that engages in a level of nationalist propaganda on the same level as the U.S.? I am actually curious if this kind of thing goes on regularly in other places. Seems where a bit off the chart in this regard.
    Are you figuring the dude with the 'stache is a CIA operative?

You know what we're off the chart in? Lack of ability to correctly use the word "we're".

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

My guess is that was performed on a stage in Utah. Texas is second guess. Branson, Mo., third.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Are you figuring the dude with the 'stache is a CIA operative?

You know what we're off the chart in? Lack of ability to correctly use the word "we're".
    That's just the thing. We've been so bludgeoned with the USA! USA! nonsense that it has become completely imbued in our culture. To the determinant of everything else, e.g. proper word usage. Just wondering if other places have this rah-rah-rah crap bleeding into facets of seemingly non-political/nationalistic spheres. Do we really need the national anthem before every baseball game, then "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch? How about a loyalty pledge in there somewhere for good measure?

That's embarrassing. Fucked up that they co-opted the line from this

https://youtu.be/EWxW2Z5znWQ

That's just the thing. We've been so bludgeoned with the USA! USA! nonsense that it has become completely imbued in our culture. To the determinant of everything else, e.g. proper word usage. Just wondering if other places have this rah-rah-rah crap bleeding into facets of seemingly non-political/nationalistic spheres. Do we really need the national anthem before every baseball game, then "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch? How about a loyalty pledge in there somewhere for good measure?
    What exactly are you arguing with? There are places all over the country where you can choose not to experience this sort of thing. It's incredibly naive to say that baseball - our National Pastime - is a non-political/nationalist activity. Many people in this country derive some sense of personal value from a nationalistic ideology... no one has to tell them to. Is that a good thing? No, not really. But would the people who subscribe to those ideas suddenly embark on a personal search for the true meaning of their personal experience of life were they showed their folly? No, not really. One thing everyone in this country actually has is the opportunity to think and believe what they want. If that's how they choose to spend their time, or if they abdicate responsibility for making that choice for themselves, then so be it. I find blind dedication to ideology to be pretty nauseating in any context, including anti-theist and anti-nationalist ideologies, despite the fact that I agree with the principles of those more than most. But it's just not realistic to say that this nonsense is part of some government conspiracy.
    Hugh Conway sucks
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

the canadian flag gets its fair share of display
    but that might be more of a "hey, don't shoot/kidnap me; i'm not american!"

Freedom of speech aside, there's probably some happy artistic medium between this and an expletive filled Kayne West performance at the Billboards.

And since you know the national anthem and God Bless America is coming at the baseball game, you could always head to the bathroom while they're playing it, if its offensive.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post

And since you know the national anthem and God Bless America is coming at the baseball game, you could always head to the bathroom while they're playing it, if its offensive.
    Believe it or not, after 9/11, some people were actually stopped from doing that at a few games.

Come on. Jingoism has been the main element of our National Identity for 200 years. Ever heard of "Manifest Destiny" or "American Exceptionalism?"

back 2 back world war champs

we piss on other nations and call it altruism
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Believe it or not, after 9/11, some people were actually stopped from doing that at a few games.
    It was one incident at Yankee Stadium...cost the city $10,001. The man was an atheist Red Sox fan.
    Apparently it's ok now. KQ googled it for me.

Do we really need the national anthem before every baseball game, then "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch?
    I've got no problem with the National Anthem being played/sung, but "God Bless America" has no place in a public event like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I've got no problem with the National Anthem being played/sung
    Does it have to be at every fucking game though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I've got no problem with the National Anthem being played/sung, but "God Bless America" has no place in a public event like this.
    It's not a public event.

And, when the issue was actually referred to the legal system for comment, it was found to be unconstitutional to try to force people to act patriotically. The issue of jingoism is with our fellow citizens (as in, the ones you buy your baseball tickets from), not with our government.

Just to clarify - while I am a confirmed life long Yankee fan who doesn't see a ton of harm in singing songs, I thought our team's policy was absurd, narcissistic, childish, and probably illegal, and I'm glad it was confirmed as such.
    Hugh Conway sucks

The man was an Satanic Red Sox fan.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Redundant
    FIFY
    Hugh Conway sucks

I don't know what other parks it's played in but Yankee stadium is owned by the Yankees. So, if Hank and Hal want to do it, they can...whether you or I feel its appropriate or not.

So, if Hank and Hal want to do it, they can...whether you or I feel its appropriate or not.
    Of course they can. They could also play Ice T's "Cop Killer" over the PA if they wanted to, but not sure it would be a great idea.

Do we really need the national anthem before every baseball game, then "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch? How about a loyalty pledge in there somewhere for good measure?
    Uh, what the fuck do you think the Pledge of Allegiance is? It's a loyalty oath. I find it fucking offensive in a nation that adopted, as its official doctrine (i.e., the one we all agreed to) the notion of personal sovereignty in speech, belief, and association. That particular bit of crass hypocrisy seems to bother me more than most, even in a culture that consists of little else other than crass hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Uh, what the fuck do you think the Pledge of Allegiance is? It's a loyalty oath. I find it fucking offensive in a nation that adopted, as its official doctrine (i.e., the one we all agreed to) the notion of personal sovereignty in speech, belief, and association. That particular bit of crass hypocrisy seems to bother me more than most, even in a culture that consists of little else other than crass hypocrisy.
    That doesn't bother me nearly as much as these white douchebags driving around the mid-west with NATIVE stickers on their cars. Couldn't tell you why exactly... As bullshit goes, this is all pretty egregious.

I once contacted the company that makes those to see about a custom order, but they balked at making 10,000 of them that said DOUCHEBAG. Would have been awesome.
    Hugh Conway sucks

but "God Bless America" has no place in a public event like this.
    Amen, brother

Anybody hear this guy on NPR or read his book?

choreography is TOP-NOTCH.
    the move, with the two guys 'fighting', that shit is Bob 'fucking' Fosse, good.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    That doesn't bother me nearly as much as these white douchebags driving around the mid-west with NATIVE stickers on their cars. Couldn't tell you why exactly... As bullshit goes, this is all pretty egregious.

I once contacted the company that makes those to see about a custom order, but they balked at making 10,000 of them that said DOUCHEBAG. Would have been awesome.
    I have a guy that could prolly fill that order. He did a small order for someone I know that said 'I hate cops, blacks and mexicans'. Those were for the car bumpers of people that pissed him off.