Weekend layover Salt Lake, Moab?

Have a weekend layover Friday night to Monday AM in SLC. What do you guys recommend (early June)? Any good hiking, MTB, sightseeing around SLC at that time of year, or better off going down to Moab area straight away?

Thanks.

PM Parvo for a list of available Mormon housewives.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Depends on what you want to do (and what you've done before). What about a weekend loop of Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef and Goblin Valley State Park?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Depends on what you want to do (and what you've done before). What about a weekend loop of Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef and Goblin Valley State Park?
    That's a ton of driving and not much getting out of the car for just a weekend trip.

I'd pick one place and stay, like Moab.

There is a TON of mountain biking and hiking to be had w/in 40 minutes of SLC in June. Moab is super hot by then and that's minimum 10 hours driving round trip. Drive a 1/2 hour to Park City instead. Perfect time of year for mountain biking. Things are still green and trails aren't too dusty yet. High alpine may still have some snow but everything else will be perfect.

Yeah, Moab isn't a hop skip and a jump from SLC.

Go eat at the Red Iguana, order the Puntas de Filetes. You're welcome.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, Moab isn't a hop skip and a jump from SLC.

Go eat at the Red Iguana, order the Puntas de Filetes. You're welcome.
    You guys recommended that place to me last year, and I'll second it. Really good shit. MMMMMmmmm.... Mole.

I'd head up to Park City too, close and plenty of options to get out and enjoy the outdoors. Oh, and you can actually get a drink, at a bar, like a human, much easier than in that backwards ass town of SLC.
    I still call it The Jake.

Supposedly the trails at Snowbird don't suck. I'm not being a homer - this is according to DTM and Altachica.

Coming down from BC, so kind of like the idea of getting down to the Moab area to see something totally different. Is the drive that bad? Google Maps puts it at 4hrs.

Fuck it - drive down, spend the night, and cruise around Arches for the day. Nothing like that in BC.

While Moab isn't that close it's pretty easy to go 80mph and make it a half day drive. You can cover that ground pretty quickly.

Or you could drive the long way down through the Rafael Swell if it's dry. Visit Dead Horse Point outside Moab and have a cold beer in town. Bring camera and sleeping pad/bag.

Edit: as has been said, plan around weather. If it's hot in SLC we go to the mountains. If it's too hot down south we stay near SLC.
    Last edited by Bromontana; 05-15-2015 at 09:53 PM.

go for it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Go to Moab. Especially if you've never been. It's 4 hours each way...maybe a little longer getting down on a Friday, depending what time you have to drive through Provo. Rent bikes, hike in Arches, swimming in Left Hand, hiking up Negro Bill Canyon and any side canyons you see, drive up to Dead Horse Point and/or Island in the Sky. Rent a side-by-side, get your redneck on. They're street legal!
    It'll probably be hot, but manageable. Drink lots of water, cheap beer and hefeweizen. Get drunk at Woodys, don't get in a fight.

do it, get a much bigger rental, make sure Utah plates, even a van, check the tires, oil, and coolant carefully, bomb down. careful for cops.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

There's probably too much snow to ride a bike at the bird. Park City sucks unless you want to deal w/the same liquor laws, but overpriced, poor-selection shit beers and unbearable wannabe 1%ers. Or maybe you're 22 and you still think it's cool to be the "poor" counterculture in a tourist trap like that.

Not that SLC is a cultural Mecca, but I cannot fucking stand Park City and its bullshit bars. Goto Beer Bar or Bourbon House or someplace where the average clientele isn't wearing fur and pretending they ski because there's a Thule box on their escalade.

Thanks!

Yep. Once you get on hwy 6, don't go much more than 6mph over. Drive 40mph through Wellington, huge downhill speed trap a few miles south of Price.

Get breakfast at The Love Muffin in Moab.

took us 4 hours slc to moab. if you want to see delicate arch go early. if you don't want to wait in a long line at the gate go early. lots of great hiking without the crowds if you avoid the most popular sites. a nice hike outside the park--just north of town, drive east along the colorado river a short ways to Negro Bill Canyon parking lot. (When we were there the sign just said Bill Canyon. Cool arch at the end of the trail.

Don't worry about the heat, if it's hot, and it may not be, bike in the mornings and evenings and/or pick trails up high, with minimal climbing (i.e. paid shuttles from town). I'm going to Moab late-May to early June and certainly not worried about the heat. Because a hot Moab in June is better than no Moab at all.

Go to Moab for sure. Our spring-like winter has given way to a somewhat wintery spring, so all the "destination" riding and hiking up high will probably be snowed in still in a few weeks.

Google is correct on the drive time, though on a Friday night it could take longer with traffic until you get past Provo. If you can, take the scenic route on the way back through the San Rafael Swell and make a stop at the Wedge Overlook. Google it, one of the most scenic spots in the state.