Thread: A Romp On Hood

A Romp On Hood

Towards the end of March, with an Alps trip coming up and a rather underwhelming season in the west, we decided it was time to head north. Yes, the PNW has even less SWE compared to average than California. However even 5% of average in the PNW looks like nuclear winter compared to this year's dusting in the sierra. So due north we flew.

We had been maintaining lofty dreams of getting a true lashing from the north cascades. Steep, high, tight couloirs with monster approaches were on our minds. Unfortunately, as we were descending into Seattle, we flew right into a characteristically grey, warm, wet atmosphere that promised not to leave our sight for the duration of the trip. Except. Maybe. Sunday...And it seemed that the further south, the better.

So armed with a promise of moderate avalanche danger with warm mushy southern slopes in the afternoon, we beat it south to Mt Hood. The plan was to get to the Timberline parking lot early enough to get some sleep before alpine starting to be clear of danger before the sun wakes up the shooting gallery. Our pit stop in Portland nearly derailed these plans as we all discovered P-town has incredible craft beer! Bridgeport, Rogue, Deschutes...We were like kids in a candy store and risking getting almost as sick...We decided we loved Portland so much that we had to stay the night...yeah, I think that's how that went...

So our alpine start began at 8am...Hey, we were pretty proud of that...

My very good friend here, was still wondering what could have possibly distracted us from meeting him in the parking lot at 4am...He's an Oregon native and was my college room mate, so he should have known (sorry bud!)

Initially our plans were to climb Hood via the Leuthold couloir. Two things derailed this plan: 1) Portland, 2) that funky cloud capping the summit that guaranteed bullet proof conditions in the Leuthold. Sure, it might have been fine for climbing, but we generally prefer to climb what we are going to ski and it was sure to be better descended in crampons...or ice skates.

So the plan was to put our tail between our legs, suck it up and join the masses up the hogsback and through the pearly gates. I could hear the mountain saying "hey, you got some sun. Enjoy."

Through the pearly gates

Success against all (objective and subjective) odds!

So this is supposed to be a ski trip right?

First we went this way.

Then we ran into this little issue. Trying to descend to the left into the Wy East Face we appeared to have two options: 1) Mandatory 100ft cliff huck - out. 2) Icy traverse to MAYBE a better descent option. This inspired great inquiry, posturing and debate. This probably would have worked out OK but after intense caucusing, only one of us was man enough to give it a go. The rest of us successfully reduced him to our poor world of inadequacy and we all walked back up to the top. Hey, it was getting late and we also didn't feel like hitch hiking from meadows to timberline...Trust me. OK, just drop it. I'll give you some more photos.

Looking down to what would become the site of the great debate of Mt Hood of March 29th.

Returning to the top, the consensus was to descend the old chute.

It never warmed up so this thing was totally bullet proof. I've never been so happy to have a metal ski...and it's not even that steep!

ripping

The upper mountain is beautiful

And down we skied. And back we drove. And in Portland we stopped...again...Thanks Portland. You're the best.
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

STEVE!

Also, who was the non-pussy? I'm going with you or Mike.

Nice TR, by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Nice! I guess it's too much to ask for sun and softer snow in the PNW?

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    STEVE!

Also, who was the non-pussy? I'm going with you or Mike.

Nice TR, by the way.
    Mike "drop in heavy" red pants

Dan (the other guy) actually booted down a little ways to check things out. He was faced-in kicking steps when he got a bit perturbed. He retreated after almost going for the big ride as it unexpectedly became mandatory crampon terrain. That little shakeup along with the big windslab pillow above an unsupported slope was kind of enough for the rest of us. Retrospectively, we could have all cramponed up and booted around next to the rocks to investigate further... Mike was pretty certain he had worked out a way to ski around the wind slab... The good news is we can all try again another day.
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

Nice trip & photos!

Quote Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
    Mike "drop in heavy" red pants

Dan (the other guy) actually booted down a little ways to check things out. He was faced-in kicking steps when he got a bit perturbed. He retreated after almost going for the big ride as it unexpectedly became mandatory crampon terrain. That little shakeup along with the big windslab pillow above an unsupported slope was kind of enough for the rest of us. Retrospectively, we could have all cramponed up and booted around next to the rocks to investigate further... Mike was pretty certain he had worked out a way to ski around the wind slab... The good news is we can all try again another day.
    Heh. Figures. I suspected it wasn't going to be Steve.

To be fair, I probably would've been in the "fuck that" camp too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

ha good words, looks like a fun day despite skiing option 3

Quote Originally Posted by enginerd View Post

That's an awesome shot! Not the only one btw, but the one I like the most. Pretty well written too.

So one of you has blown each knee. Look like an offensive lineman.

neat rime ice! i like to look at it, skiing not so much
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Nice TR man!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Thanks for this TR!

Thanks for bump - missed this first time around. Great romp on hood.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Looks good

you will one day become a real ski mountaineer, until then stick to the dog route.

nice harness!

Quote Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
    you will one day become a real ski mountaineer, until then stick to the dog route.

nice harness!
    Never met a big talking skier/ climber who wasn't full of shit. You are oozing.

Epic!