Google changes their algorithm so every website looks designed for iPad?

Google recently announced that they were changing their algorithms to promote pages that work better on mobile and demote pages that aren't. The ensuing calamity is that now every website looks like it's supposed to be viewed with an iPad. I'm talking about when being viewed with a desktop or laptop (so full desktop version of site). Fucking retarded. Does the all knowing all powerful Google not know that I might have a mobile version of my website?
    It's really annoying.
    TGR, of course, bucks this trend, which is nice, except for the quarter of my laptop screen being taken up by whatever the fuck that -----------------> is.
    Can anyone esplain this to me?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

PS. This

is terrible web design.

AND FOR THE 400TH TIME, PLEASE FIX THE PHOTO UPLOAD. THIS IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS. IT WORKED FINE 6 REVISIONS AGO.
    No longer stuck.

really though, it's pay-to-play anyway - at least from a business standpoint. you don't need organic SEO if you're paying for clicks. also, DD's LinkedIn will still pop up #1 organically when googling "fascist poseur" because there is no close second. I would also think that forced optimization is about the most effective way to drive innovation. haven't they been doing the same w/ http/https?

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    really though, it's pay-to-play anyway - at least from a business standpoint. you don't need organic SEO if you're paying for clicks. also, DD's LinkedIn will still pop up #1 organically when googling "fascist poseur" because there is no close second. I would also think that forced optimization is about the most effective way to drive innovation. haven't they been doing the same w/ http/https?
    Not sure about that last one, but yes, I'm paying for clicks and it bumps me up.
    No longer stuck.

Google makes way less revenue from de phonz vs desktop and almost half of search is coming from mobile. The need you to love de mobile google experienza to continue on the path to world domination.

No.

Basically Mobile Searches have started to outpace Desktop Searches on major search engines. As a result, Google tweaked their search alg. to give a better user experience to mobile searches. This had been coming for a long time.

Doesn't have to do with pay to play.

Definitely doesn't show Iphone Optimized versions of a site when you are on a desktop. That is more based on ISP and browser version than google forcing anything.
    "People think complaining about conditions makes them sound discerning, like giving nitpick notes on a fine dining experience. In reality it's just like saying "i'm a shitty cook." -MildBill

Liquor.com

Go look at the NYT's site.
    No longer stuck.

when on my mobile, which is 80% of the time, i appreciate the google results being chosen to optimize.

they need better filtering options I guess? I always seen the button for "mobil version, yes of no".
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Never said it was pay to play. Also don't disagree with what they are doing. Advertisers get less ROI from mobile search and bid less per click. Hence Google makes less. If the experience is improved the theory is so will the ROI, bids and revenue.

More searches happen on mobile (inc tablets) than desktop machines now. Google wants to ensure users are getting the info they want on the device they're using. Mobile sites are a compromise and will be extinct w/in a few years.

That said the impact of the mobilegeddon algo change was far less than advertised. Really it was more of a warning shot to get admins moving.

And you can't get around it by paying for clicks. Mobile friendliness is part of the quality score that determines your CPC and display position.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I understand why Google is doing what it's doing re search results and mobile formatting. What I don't get is why the desktop version of websites looks like it's made for an iPad. I think Netflix was one of the first big companies to really do it up. They're also good at that fixing what isn't broken stuff.
    My problem is with web designers.
    No longer stuck.

PS. This

is terrible web design.

AND FOR THE 400TH TIME, PLEASE FIX THE PHOTO UPLOAD. THIS IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS. IT WORKED FINE 6 REVISIONS AGO.
    You're such a tech wizard, your text overlapping each line on top- at least in Chrome browser. Tell them to fix that for you also. (Edit: It is displaying fine if I quote it so must be you not TGR)