Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Art Collecting?

Art Collecting?

So since we're full of dentists with disposable income here was wondering if anyone in the collective here dabbles in art collecting?

I turn 30 tomorrow, and my whole family has been asking me what I want for gifts. At this point in my life I really don't want much anymore. I either have it already or don't need it.

I have always been interested in fine art, but outside of a couple art history classes don't know a damn thing other that what I like to look at. I'm not made of cash, but want to get started buying 1 -2 pieces a year in the 1-2k per piece range.

I do know that I like modern and contemporary art, mostly oil paintings, charcoal sketches, lithographs are cool but I would like to aim for original pieces. Given my price points originals should be tough but hopefully doable. Of course, if they appreciate in value that would be great.

Any tips from the collective? Feel free to lob all the uppity douchebag comments you want, its a stuffy thread I know.

At the very least I'd like to go to galleries and not look like a knob.
    Live Free or Die

PM Rontele.

No seriously, he started a thread on this a few years ago, IIRC.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I collect art, snowboard topshets are art.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

One of my friend's wives is a painter and her pieces have been getting a lot of play in local art galleries lately. No idea whether they'll ever be worth anything as collector pieces...

These are prints but you could probably contact her to arrange to purchase an original if you like what you see.

http://www.minted.com/search?s=kelly+johnston&x=0&y=0

It's not an investment. Buy what you like. Vast global collection of original art and prints here:

http://saatchiart.com

I have a powder mag collection dating back to 1989. Pretty sure I win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

^^^
    That's fucking great.

OP, not sure where you are but head to the galleries of the biggest city near you and see what/who is showing. Gallery directors will be all too eager to help you figure out who's hot, what's up and coming, and point you to where you can find something that you like.

But as mentioned, it's a crapshoot as to it being a reliable investment. Art as an investment deals in art that is already established as such. So... buy what you like.
    I still call it The Jake.

or maybe

or even

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

i am a art collector among other things
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    i am a art collector among other things
    Tell us more about these other things.
    I still call it The Jake.

#hughshavingananeurysm

My most favorite piece of art was rescued from a dumpster next to the Pratt Fine Arts Center. I guess some poor soul thought it was crap. Now its in my living room.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Tell us more about these other things.
    video game messiah, urban operations and counterintel expert, fascist basher, margin exploiter, rapaholic, mossaholic, Laker, knife collector, digital pirate, dead
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I'm interested to see what you end up with. Post pictures.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    video game messiah, urban operations and counterintel expert, fascist basher, margin exploiter, rapaholic, mossaholic, Laker, knife collector, digital pirate, dead
    you forgot 'bootlicker'
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Gold!

We buy locally made art. Some is less expensive than others, but it's all what you like. We don't care about the 'name' or '$'s', that is for the pretentious folks that send their assistant to do their art shopping for them.

I just bought a nice Picasso at auction...

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    It's not an investment. Buy what you like.
    This. Buy what you like and can afford, you are going to be looking at it for 50+ years. "Anything bought as "collectable" isn't". If you like Little Kitty lunch pails, buy those, but don't buy them with the intention of selling them for a profit.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Seriously; easy to buy, hard to sell. Keep that in mind, and buy/acquire what appeals to you on a personal level. We've got a lot, too much actually, but almost all of it is something that we think is very cool and it means something, at least to us. I think that's the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    #hughshavingananeurysm

My most favorite piece of art was rescued from a dumpster next to the Pratt Fine Arts Center. I guess some poor soul thought it was crap. Now its in my living room.
    A friend of mine had two pictures she rescued from the trash years ago. She just liked and hung them in their family room. After I got into antique natural history prints I realized they were from the 1600's, (Bessler's for those who are interested),and I realized they were not reprints, but originals. Ended up worth 4-5 K each. Not bad for dumpster diving.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

When my Dad passed away my Mom sent my brother and I down to the basement to clean out a bunch of stuff my old man had accumulated over the years. One item was a pencil drawing of an Indian on horseback. The frame was ratty and ugly, the whole thing was in bad shape. Nobody else wanted it, so I took it home. It sat in my basement for around 10 years when I decided to re-frame it. The frame shop discovered a bunch of paperwork hidden inside, I hired an appraiser to investigate, and it turns out I own an original Fredrick Remington. It is now on my living room wall.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Adiron- maybe not collectable yet (yet) but I live Nicole Gaitan's pieces - do you know her? she's in jh
    and I also dig some of the more modern takes on wildlife/landscapes in the RARE gallery.
    And weren't you also one giving me shit saying we must be trustifarians bc we own a home in Jackson? well we hang posters and maps on our walls

My brother found a paint-splattered dropcloth in a dumpster, stretched it over a frame, and sold it as his original painting to some collector in Minneapolis. It's probably still on the sucker's wall.

BB - I wasn't giving you shit for owning a home, I was commenting in the context that its deemed "affordable" within the premise of that thread where the OP was looking for a town where 10 bucks an hour would buy you a house. We are actually in the same boat (professional gigs to make it work here in Jackson and a weekend warrior on the hill), so never intended to have it appear I was throwing stones.

I'm just trying to have something nice to look at to replace my posters of fine art that I've gotten at gift shops

I made the mistake of looking at Ringholz stuff, holy shit apparently that girl has made it already. She does have a couple water colors in my price range though. Might be a good start as not only do I like her stuff, my wife does too. Never hurts to have the better half sign off on frivolous purchases.

I'll have to check out Nicole Gaitan. I've heard the name but I'm not familiar with her work.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone else as well. Not going into this with the intent of investment, but I don't want to overpay for shit either. I moreso want a conversation piece that I like to look at. If its worth more because its fashionable in the 30 years great, if not, I'm happy having a piece that I like, that no one else does.
    Live Free or Die