Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Art Collecting?

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    Adiron- maybe not collectable yet (yet) but I live Nicole Gaitan's pieces - do you know her? she's in jh
    and I also dig some of the more modern takes on wildlife/landscapes in the RARE gallery.
    And weren't you also one giving me shit saying we must be trustifarians bc we own a home in Jackson? well we hang posters and maps on our walls
    didnt she just rip off the style from the huge mural of the moose in the Wort hotel lobby???

or maybe thats hers, but i doubt it
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

yep

ripped off nancy it seems

Zone Controller

Ok Adiron- fair enough.
    Nicole's pieces have a similar feel to amy ringholz artwork if you like that style

dd- yea similar but not quite the same-I dig Nicole's takes a bit more

Holy shit - this thread got me curious. A copy of a Max Beckmann litho I bought in Munich in 1989 sold in 2013 for over 7200 Euros. That would be about 7000 Euros more than I paid for it...

Maybe there is something to the buy stuff you like advice...

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    Ok Adiron- fair enough.
    Nicole's pieces have a similar feel to amy ringholz artwork if you like that style

dd- yea similar but not quite the same-I dig Nicole's takes a bit more
    I agree however the stylization, not style, is a complete hijacking.
    Zone Controller

Art Collecting?

Here's part of my collection

https://vine.co/v/eKep1J5Wu2q
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post

Nice dog

yeah baby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	035.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	817.7 KB 
ID:	167120  
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Another local Jackson artist is Abby Paffrath. She and her sister are good peeps.

My great, great grandfather had a pretty interesting life as a painter. Most of my family have some of his paintings up on our walls. My parents have one that is like, 5 feet x 8 feet. It's pretty badass. A lot of the ships have his kids names on them.

"Master Marine Artist
    George E. Lee painted maritime themes full time for 3 decades, from 1968 until his death in 1998. During that time his style and technique was developed to the point that his paintings were being purchased by very prominent collectors. He had the opportunity to paint with very famous artists, such as Norman Rockwell, Georgia O'Keefe, Pablo Picasso, and Salvador Dali, and his paintings sold for as much as $20,000. As the painter turned Master Marine Artist, it was George E. Lee that other painters wanted to work with, and George mentored many emerging artists in both technique and the business side of art. His works were especially concentrated in galleries in Hawaii, Carmel-by-the-Sea, and along the Oregon Coast, though they could be found in maritime galleries anywhere in the United States. They could also be readily found in Nevada, Arizona and Utah, states he lived in for the drier climate. George Lee moved from his beloved ocean to Kanab, Utah for health reasons and on account of his LDS faith. He died there on January 27, 1998, at the age 72, but George E. Lee's memory lives on in the hearts of those who knew him and in the beauty of his life's work."
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    So since we're full of dentists with disposable income here was wondering if anyone in the collective here dabbles in art collecting?
    I think I replied something to the old RonTele thread in the past. But.

Why? Why art? Check your motivations first. Do you love art? Are you more in for the money & prestige?
    If you are in for investment (with your present background) you probably wont make a single dime. On the contrary, you are in a position to lose a bunch
    by buying shit/fakes.

"Collecting" art for your own pleasure on the other hand is easier. You can resort for buying high grade reproductions of your favourite pieces and frame them.

Or.

You can scrounge flea markets, smaller auctions and interwebs for stuff that catches your eye and pleases you. Keeping your budget in the 100-200buck you will get some stuff that decorates your walls, dont blow your budget...and if your house catches fire you dont have to run in to try to save the pieces..but the
    probability of making even one dollar profit in your lifetime is about zero.

Or.

You can take a bit more meticulous approach. Take your time and decide into what stuff you are into. Like litography, contemporary painting, fine art photography etc. Concentrate on that. Study if you have good schools/galleries/museums nearby that produces up and coming artists. Visit their annual exhibitions, get to know artists, buy prints from the up and coming geezers for cheap (check out who are getting gallery deals/curated, follow those).
    Get to know the processes of manufacturing and buy only numbered prints.

Why manufacturing? It is of utter importance to know what you buy. For a layman it is difficult to know if some piece is litho/gravre/woodblock print or whatnot.
    Let alone if it has been even done with that technique or merely just printed with a regular inkjet. Let alone if you have "numbered" prints, have they been done with a end run(destroyed) plate, by a bad print master or off the record by the artist. You can be asked 300bucks for a fake & shitty inkjet when the original 1/30 print has cost 250$...or 1000$.
    Or somebody sells you a "genuine" and signed lito print number 15-of-45 run for 2000$ only to find out that the initial run of 45 has been sold already 25 years ago and the artist has not destroyed the original plate...and has decided to print more in secret to feed his cocaine habit.
    Thus, rendering your print nro.15 a worthless piece of paper.

Collecting paintings (not those crappy landscapes + mooseheads) is in that sense a bit easier. The probability of getting a unique piece is higher, especially
    if you concentrate more on young & upcoming (contemporary) artists. Of course, the most potential up-and-coming artist might only paint giant dicks so the problem of personal preference vs. potential investment might clash.
    But, some old geezers doing landscapes can easily squeeze out 2-4 pieces a day of utter shit so steer away from them.

And photography? Well, that is a tough one as well. Many of the "artists" push out un-serialized decorative bulk. The good thing is that you can get a
    decent print (inkjet) for 50-200$ to decorate some wall in your house but you will never, ever make any profit with those. Only verified and serialized pieces
    have some kind of potential of gaining value in the long run.

Even with then, only small series matter nowadays, even with international names.
    In the old days, if Ansel Adams printed personally some contacts of 8x10" prints and made maybe 50, you would paid 200$ at the time and now you might score few grand of one. But nowadays if some obscure landscape photographer prints with inkjet 200 prints (and keeps the digital files) you pay 200$ for
    the print and might get 50$ after ten years.
    Only if you get some small series, like 1/6 + 2 artist pieces (of certain size, only 2-3 sizes) of a artist that manages to break into the (inter)national scene you
    have a good chance of making profit in the long run. But those peaces start in the 500-1000$ range even for up&coming artists.

So in short: Buy art, for your own pleasure, tax deduct them if you can and write them down as loss the moment the money changes hands. If you get
    lucky you might score something in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    At the very least I'd like to go to galleries and not look like a knob.
    Forget about looking like a knob. Just go out and enjoy visiting galleries. Read, look, study and develop your own taste and just enjoy the art.
    That is the only thing that matters. There a enormous variety among the people that visit the galleries, each have their own motivations, aspirations and
    agendas. Yours is as good as theirs. It is just such a pity that the present art scene has gotten this über elitistic aura that you should be a frigging
    billionare and/or curator just to be able to step into a gallery. Fuck that shit.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post

Is that a framed picture of Eddie the Eagle?
    I still call it The Jake.

thats some chick about to wipe in pond skimming, pulled from powder back page and framed
    Zone Controller

Not necessarily the best place to buy quality art, but a good source of art you may like and find inexpensive are street fairs and festivals. Especially if the artist his showing his or her own work. Gallery art is usually going to cost more, especially in artsy towns like JH. I am not dissing galleries, they provide a service and are right to charge for that, but if you are just looking for things you like and are on a budget, there are alternatives to galleries.

IMO, the problem with lithos and photos these days is that it is so easy to mass produce things that are nearly identical to first runs and limited editions, as MeatHelmet points out above. It is not necessarily a bad thing if you are just covering your walls because it means there is some nice things pretty cheap, but it is hard to get things that appreciate.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

In my 20's I bought and sold lithographs by Louis Icart. I did very well financially but my tastes changed and I sold them all. Had I kept them I would have made substantially more money. I owned three of his charcoals which i purchased for $800. I later sold them for $2500. they are now worth well north of $50,000 ...that's life

Just remembered that I was taken aback when I went into the Oakland temple to do some baptisms for the dead and saw one of his paintings in there.

From what I've been told he wasn't the greatest of Mormons by any stretch of the imagination.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Not a hot bed of art here, but check these out-

http://tetonartlab.com
    http://inthepines.org
    http://www.dalyartistrep.com- Meg Daly just opened a small space to show young emerging locals- a great resource for the new collector.
    http://www.jhcenterforthearts.org- They always have shows up (usually for purchase) in the theater gallery

https://tierneypaints.wordpress.com/art/
    http://www.whitecolumns.org/sections...n.php?id=1326- Maybe a just a moment, or the sign of an emerging star, definitely sends
    it as big as anyone around here on skis.

http://www.tayloepiggottgallery.com Opening this Friday, free food and drink, not entry level pricing but you can always check stuff out for free.

In the end, buy what you love, something that has some sort of meaning to you- if it appreciates great.