Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Homage to Letterman

Really been enjoying the last couple of weeks watching Letterman. Some great moments. I never knew that Letterman saved Ray Romano's life... I did not know that.

Agreed. Flashing back to the old show and remembering how cutting edge and weird it was. It's really cool all the comedians coming thru to pay their respects. He really was as close of an heir to Carson there was gonna be and all the praise from his peers shows that.

Haven't watched Letterman in years but still remember how awesome he was back in the day. 1985- freshman year of college, I discovered weed and Letterman. Life changed.

An excellent op/ed on Letterman, Hollywood and the new era of late night:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/14/op...l-right-region

I go back to being a fan of his morning show - talk about cutting edge! Hard to believe NBC only ran that for less than a year before moving him to late night. These last few weeks have been phenomenal. It makes me sad only because it is the end of an era. It's been 33 years for him, but for me too. I know of very few people that like Paul Shaffer but I love that he sat down as a guest last night. I really think he could have and should have had him on the full hour.

Trying to guess his final guests - Regis for sure will make an appearance. Could see Tom Brokaw, Jerry Seinfeld and Oprah - has to happen. John Stewart would be great.

The future of late night - love Kimmel. He's great and counts so many of his frequent guests as actual friends just like Dave. Not sure about Fallon. He has a lot of connections going back to SNL but seems really phony to me...but then so did Leno so maybe that works. Wish he'd stop it with all the singing. Can't wait to see how Carell does.his connections back to the Daily Show should help.

Oprahs on tomorrow nite I think. I'm guessing Murray will be on last show since he has been on all daves first shows. Keep up the calvalcade of comedians. The interview segments (where Dave is best) are fleeting but funny and wish the guests had more time to tell stories about Dave but he's prob just cut them off. 5 to go to and end of an era that was 2nd only to Carson in impact. That's truly Amazing considering Leno had better ratings on all but a few moments. Chris Elliot dragging him under the seats would be a fitting end.

Excellent article. Thanks for posting Dutchie. That article pretty much sums it up for me. Dave has actual conversations. Or at least presses to. Leno was just a suck up as is Fallon and you don't learn anything interesting from the quests. Its so phony it's just about unwatchable for me. Fallon must have been studying Carson's mannerisms to the point he thinks he's Carson reincarnated. Putting his finger to his upper lip etc. And could he laugh any harder at bullshit? Even his sidekick, who I actually think is funny is saying "I did not know that" a few times to many. Looking forward to Oprahs spot being over. She still comes off as pompous. I thought Seinfeld already came on for his last appearance. Was not impressed with Julia Roberts last night, so so. I did think Pauls story of meeting his idol James Brown was funny. "Do you think you could introduce me to Larry Bud Mellmen". Not a fan of Clinton but he still is pretty smooth. Thought it was funny when Dave was saying goodbye to Clinton and Dave says to Clinton (something to the effect of) " Seems like there may be better opportunities to get things things done not being in office" Clinton, with out skipping a beat says "Well your about to find out yourself".

Tom Hanks and Dave always had a great rapport, anyone know if he's been on yet? How old is Julia Roberts now? Looking like she might have had some work done, but I'd still squash it. Dave almost seemed over it a couple times last night, looking forward to seeing someone interview him after he's been away for a little while. Or maybe he'll pull a Carson and never be heard from again. Neither Jimmy is going to do a show on the last night of Letterman, as kind of a tribute. I'm gonna miss that guy

Spot on. Dave had conversations w guests and could be on the spot funny w them. The rest just asked questions off the blue cards. Leno was the worst at this. Painful. The other great thing about letterman is he would make it clear if he found someone annoying or full of shit. I can't think of anyone else doing that in a talk show. I thought Julia Roberts was charming but the segment was too short to let her get into her Dave stories. I think she's daves Angie Dickinson.

Seinfeld was on last week. He told Dave this retirement thing "is the stupidest idea he has ever heard". He was pretty funny. Did his first routine ever from the old show.

I could do without Oprah but hopefully Dave will make it funny based on their history. Maybe he could give her the Oprah logbook as a present.

How could I forget about Will Farrell and Julia Louise Dryfuss? Have they been on yet?

not sure why, but one of the scenes that sticks in my head from Letterman:

first question after introduction of Bootsy Collins, who's wearing star-shaped sun glasses, "The question America's asking is: are those prescription?"

I remember his morning show; I distinctly recall Chuck Norris giving Dave a roundhouse kick demonstration, and missing Dave's face by a hair. Dave was freaked out.

Homage to Letterman

Murray announced as final guest on tues. Wed is a bunch of random surprise stuff.

Good piece by Kimmel:

http://time.com/3858014/david-letter...immel-tribute/
    Last edited by mcski; 05-14-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I remember his morning show; I distinctly recall Chuck Norris giving Dave a roundhouse kick demonstration, and missing Dave's face by a hair. Dave was freaked out.
    I think that was Crispin Glover. That dude was strange.

Clooney and Al Pacino comming by.

Murry is gonna be great. I'd like to see something from Chris Elliot.

I remember when Chris Elliot came out in a lab coat. I thought there may have been a table with all sorts of science lab glassware etc. There are 2 bottles of cooking oil. Wesson and Crisco. Dave asks him what he was doing. Chris says he's about to determine which bottle is going to be less in polyunsaturated fat. He grabs the first bottle, takes of the cap and proceeds to chug it. Then he grabs the 2nd bottle and chugs that one. He then wipes his mouth and says, "Honestly Dave, I can't tell the difference"

^^^ not Glover; that was in 1987. This was on his morning show in 81 or 82.

Homage to Letterman

Glover off his nut was pretty good. Drew Barrymore flashing her boobs good. Anything w Chris Elliot.

Not the funniest but most incredible is him getting Sonny and Cher to bury the hatchet and perform together for the first time in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    ^^^ not Glover; that was in 1987. This was on his morning show in 81 or 82.
    Ahh. I wonder if Crispin was inspired by Chuck

Heard Eddie Vedder to be the last musical guest.

I'd like to see Dave and co. give some relatively unknown, up and comer a chance at doing some stand up. A pass it forward kind of thing.

Homage to Letterman

I hope you realize that Dave gave more opportunities to new comics more than anyone except maybe Carson? See Ray Romanos tribute. He was just one of hundreds of comics that got their first TV spot on Letterman. And unlike Leno, letterman helped them out generously. I read somewhere that he paid for George Millers expenses when he was dying. Certainly no one else on Tv did as much for younger comedians since Carson.

Clooney and Tom Waits were great last night, Tom is always a great interview. His song at the end was fitting, should've been played on the last episode. A good quick Letterman/Waits:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0UcIXsQgG4

The song from last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKBFSU-LUw0

I love Tom Waits. That's a great song for Dave's sendoff, wonder if he wrote it with this in mind or if it's just coincidence.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I hope you realize that Dave gave more opportunities to new comics more than anyone except maybe Carson? .
    (Said as Carson) "I did not know that" j/k

What am I, retarded? (well, thats besides the point )

Thats why I think it would be fitting to go out doing what he's always done, giving some "new" guy an opportunity.

Tom Waits was/is great. Super talented guy and very funny to boot.

I also thought Adam Sandler was excellent the other night as well.

^ GREAT find! I had forgotten about so many of those. Anyone remember the surf reports from his daytime show? How about the bit where they were "scaling" one of the NY skyscrapers and a dog runs up the wall (they were actually crawling across the ground)? Same thing, no setup, just brilliance. It speaks volumes that I've forgotten about more of DL's bits than his competitors will ever have.

Excellent show last night. The montage of all the stunts they did outside the studio on the street was very well done. Some great clips from over the years.

Liked Oprah much more than I expected too. Hard to bag on someone who is putting a lot of kids through school.

Top Ten Thoughts Going Through Dave's Mind While Presenting The Top Ten List
    Friday, May 15, 2015

10. "Nine more to go"

9. "Forgot to make sure they were good"

8. "How are we only on number 8?"

7. "Hey, my license plate number has a seven in it"

6. "Is that a giant walking stick or are you just enjoying the list?"

5. "If we'd done a Top Five list, American could be spared half these lame jokes"

4. "What self-respecting man recites lists for a living?"

3. "Why does he look at me like that?"

2. "If number one ain't funny, I'm retiring"

1. "Johnny never had to do this shit"

Love Norm:

Norm was touching. Took me off guard that he got so choked up, didn't expect that for him.