Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mad Max Thunder Road

By all accounts, George Miller has knocked the ball out of the park. Looks absolutely bonkers.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

In the trailer I saw Sunday it seems the battle is for pussy, not oil. Looked worth watching.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Oil isn't as precious as it was in The Road Warrior. The scenario of the first films was caused by the end of oil and then a resulting economic and infrastructure collapse. Running out of oil just doesn't have the same 1980's ring to it since fracking opened the flood gates on a new oil boom. Miller has changed the setting to reflect a contemporary concern, environmental collapse; i.e. we didn't run out of oil and we used so much of it that the world overheated. Water is power in the new film. Thats a switch...except for the dog food scene, Road Warrior was so focused on the precious gasoline as the Mcguffin that it never addressed how the people living at the oil pump were getting their food and water way the fuck out in the desert. From what I've read, though, the setting and plot are just an excuse for the greatest chase sequence ever.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-12-2015 at 09:21 AM.

I can't wait, me and some friends are planning this thing as if it was a significant moment in history or something.... Mad Max is my Starwars....

Well, it's pissing off men's rights groups left and right:

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/reviewe...ad-max-sexism/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Watched the original Mad Max & Road Warrior in the last couple days, to get the vibe again. Been a while since I had seen them, looking back at the tiny budget they had & the job they did with the story was pretty damn good. Now looking forward the new one. The thing that impresses myself is that George Miller is still in charge.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Just saw it. Very entertaining.

And, yeah -

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    ... From what I've read, though, the setting and plot are just an excuse for the greatest chase sequence ever.

saw the 2D version of Mad Max: Fury Road yesterday.
    the film unfolds like two rounds of sweaty, violent sex broken up by a short refractory period.
    the plot was more or less a re-tool of Road Warrior, with elements of Thunderdome tossed in.
    one could call it (the original 1974 film) Gone in 60 Seconds or Eat My Dust/Grand Theft Auto on meth. Heck, it's kind of a bit like Death Race 2000 taken to extreme levels of gonzo violence.
    Great cinematography and the action sequences seem surprisingly low on CGI, resorting to more practical effects and actually destroying cars, etc.
    The Max character continues to update the quintessential modern anti-hero, in the mold of Clint Eastwood's iconic "man with no name"; his moral compass is shattered beyond repair, yet it always manages to somehow point true north.
    planning to see it again, but in 3D.

Sweet review right here (but I'd only recommend reading it AFTER you see the film)

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...ist-fury-road/

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    saw the 2D version of Mad Max: Fury Road yesterday.
    the film unfolds like two rounds of sweaty, violent sex broken up by a short refractory period.
    the plot was more or less a re-tool of Road Warrior, with elements of Thunderdome tossed in.
    one could call it (the original 1974 film) Gone in 60 Seconds or Eat My Dust/Grand Theft Auto on meth. Heck, it's kind of a bit like Death Race 2000 taken to extreme levels of gonzo violence.
    Great cinematography and the action sequences seem surprisingly low on CGI, resorting to more practical effects and actually destroying cars, etc.
    The Max character continues to update the quintessential modern anti-hero, in the mold of Clint Eastwood's iconic "man with no name"; his moral compass is shattered beyond repair, yet it always manages to somehow point true north.
    planning to see it again, but in 3D.
    Nicely eloquent, Dooks.
    I saw this image in the NYT yesterday and was looking at the sepia tone of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I saw this image in the NYT yesterday and was looking at the sepia tone of it all.

the entire film is high-gloss, super saturated sepia, with a few bursts of bleak grey-on-metallic blue hue.

Ho. Lee. Fucking. Shit. That was the most metal thing I think I've seen. The reviews of it being a retooled original x10 and on the meth pipe are spot on. There were a couple things I would have liked to have seen more from the original. It won't really ruin it for anyone, but it may, so I won't comment. Either way it was rad and go see it. Finally a good pure action flick!

IMHO no need to see it in 3D, it was cool but the sped up sequences made it hard to adjust for me. Large format 2D, IMAX etc, would be the way to go.

Now someone please tell me they are rebooting the franchise and remaking Thunderdome

What a lovely day. Fun chase filled crazy madness. 3d was cool
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    IMHO no need to see it in 3D, it was cool but the sped up sequences made it hard to adjust for me. Large format 2D, IMAX etc, would be the way to go.
    Apparently the director hisownself, George Miller, suggests seeing it in 3D: http://twitchfilm.com/2015/05/cannes...-it-in-3d.html

And this article gives a pretty good argument in favor of the 3D version: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or...ket-71474.html

Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    Now someone please tell me they are rebooting the franchise and remaking Thunderdome
    Word on the street is that Tom Hardy has signed on for 3 more films:
    http://screenrant.com/mad-max-fury-r...hardy-sequels/

It was cool in 3D I just felt it took a lot of time for my eyes to adjust to it with the sped up sequences. Either way go to it in a large format theater. Make the gonzo carnage as big as possible.

So good ... enjoyed it very much in 3D
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

Anyone else know that Immortal Joe was Toecutter in the original?
    Last edited by soups818; 05-17-2015 at 12:52 PM.

^^^yes. Immotan joe
    But who was the night rider?
    We will never know
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

So awesome. Can't remember the last time two hours went so fast. Never felt like the action was gratuitous (which was a concern). The sped up action scenes really worked well. Everything was crisp and tidy. Loved it.

CT is the anti-hot which in and of itself is a testament to the quality of the acting.

Holy shit, that was a good flick. It's been a long time since I walked out of the theater and thought 'Nailed it'
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Awesome. He actually topped the original by far. Pretty sick stuff. I would love to know what didn't make the script.

Mad Max Thunder Road

Saw it today. Pretty sweet. I was impressed, I actually like how you saw a few references to the older films like the V8 Ford Falcon & the double barrel pistol grip shotgun. I am curious if it was more of a reboot, or a continuation of the story.

I was looking through the acting career of Tom Hardy, he actually started out in the HBO miniseries as in Band of Brothers as Private Janovik (not really too much, you saw him in the later episodes) & in Black Hawk Down as Twombly (the character in the squad that got left behind in the truck convey that got temporary deafness from the machine gun blasting next to his ears), not bad for a early bit parts, plus he was Bane in Dark Knight Rises.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Fantastic film.. Not the kind of thing I'd normally go see. But the amazing reviews intrigued me.

Almost a physical experience in 3d and big screen. Wow.

- And watched the original 1979 film again for first time in a long time. I always thought it was a little overrated.. time has not been kind to it.

Hardy is excellent in the movies Bronson and Locke if you haven't seen those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Fantastic film.. Not the kind of thing I'd normally go see. But the amazing reviews intrigued me.
    Me too, knocked it out of the park with the pacing, effects, story etc. Despite the madness it never felt gratuitous and the story still superseded all else. Solid flick, what Waterworld should have been way back when.