Cheap Pants With Articulated Knees?

Anyone have a pair of summer weight (not nylon, but not carhart double knee duck weight either), workish pant with articulated knees that they like?

There are some options out there from OR, Patagonia etc, but they cost a fortune.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

http://www.wearvertx.com/Mens-Origin...cal-Pants.aspx

Kinda tacticool wannabe operator but they fit great and the pairs I have have proven to be very durable. Plus they are $60 and can be frequently be found on sale for closer to $30. If you want lighter and more breathable the Phantom LT are the same design but in a more breathable, lightweight fabric.

What are you using them for? Work? Hiking? Perusing the quinoia selection at Whole Foods?
    I wouldn't call them particularly "articulated," but since you mentioned carhartts, I usually switch from double knee ducks to the double knee canvas for spring/summer time work. They're not as durable as the duck ones, but they're way cooler. Can usually find them for $25ish on STP.

Yeah, I will probably end up in canvas single knee carharts. I recently converted all my pairs with blown out knees to shorts, so its 2-3 new pairs of those or ...

Application would be general use, but wearable to a casual office setting that has an outdoor in the heat component (construction site). Also would get used hiking, fishing, etc. No cargo pockets please. Also no nylon.

Leavenworth, not bad, but cargo pockets are a no go for me. For many, many reasons.
    Last edited by char; 05-06-2015 at 07:51 PM.

I want to hear the many reasons you don't like cargo pockets....
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Kuhl slacker huge gussetted crotch and knee articulation gussetts nice stretch and despite what one other poster said in another post they hold up well to everyday use. I wouldnt do hard carpentry in them but casual/normal wear they re bomber. Not cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post
    I want to hear the many reasons you don't like cargo pockets....
    Style, most of them are positioned incorrectly, they snag on stuff in the woods, most of them aren't actually large enough to put anything useful in., my experience is that having anything of consequence in them leads to skin abrasion. Like the pants leavenworth posted they have flaps with bar tacked corners that are a pain in the ass to actually get anything out of on a regular basis (try putting a notepad in and out of those and tell me you aren't annoyed quickly). Put even a notepad in pants with cargo pockets, then I find they limit range of motion in steep terrain, climbing over logs, etc. (Material binds unless they are a huge, bellowed pocket).

If you are just standing around all of the time they are a good place to store stuff, but if I am actually moving around, they don't work for me.

I wore pants daily with cargo pockets for ~10 years, I grew to see their total lack of function for me.

I hate cargo pockets but these ones are completely low profile (no external bellows/pleats) and quite functional. But to each his own I guess.

I would think the Arborwear Ground or Estimator pants would be perfect.

Arborwear is good stuff.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

The arborwear tech II are the pants you seek. Durable thick nylon material, double knee and comfortable. Also have a pair from them that are like a stretchy softshell material. They are nice as well but don't breathe well when it warms up.

I got so goddamn over carharts a few years ago. Uncomfortable as shit walking around like a penguin can't step up onto anything for ever then a nice 2 week window once they break in before they rip to shreds.

Tried mountain khakis version.. much more comfortable until they too catastrophically ripped down the crotch much quicker than carharts would have. Great pants for the office or bar.

Cheap is out of the question unfortunately but a pair of new carharts is pushing 60 bucks!
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

I simply can't deal with the weight of the material with carhartts and mtn khakis. Like mentioned you can even step up onto stuff for forever.
    I will look into these arborwear though.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I simply can't deal with the weight of the material with carhartts and mtn khakis. Like mentioned you can even step up onto stuff for forever.
    I will look into these arborwear though.
    They are made for climbing trees.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Kuhl is totally worth the money... I've got a pair of Rydr (heavier duty) that are stupid comfortable and take a beating. After four years of putting them through the wringer, they're still going strong. For summer I've got a pair of the Revolvr's that are lighter weight and also just as tough. Great for backpacking, hiking and abusive work without overheating.

Chances are they'll last longer than cheaper alternatives and be way more comfortable. Just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    I got so goddamn over carharts a few years ago.
    I'm there right now. Not only has the quality been on a downhill slide, the fit and consistency is messed up now too. I have a pair that are too tight in the waist, and another that will fall down without a belt, and they're the same "size".

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    I'm there right now. Not only has the quality been on a downhill slide, the fit and consistency is messed up now too. I have a pair that are too tight in the waist, and another that will fall down without a belt, and they're the same "size".
    Only downside from switching is you can no longer show your status in the bro society by how faded white your 'carhartt tan' pants are.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

Thanks for the suggestions. Arborwear is reasonably priced. I've looked at Kuhl before and have been scared off by the price, but maybe I'll take another look.

not cheap, and maybe a little lighter-weight than you're thinking, but i scored a pair of these Stio khaki's last fall on sale. They were super comfortable on a trip to New Orleans last week-
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I recently got the Mountain Khaki Camber 107 and 105. The 107 may fit your needs. The 105 fabric may not hold up to longer term outdoor use. It has a more casual feel to it.

L.L. Bean Timberledge work pretty well for me.

No cargo pockets as in nothing low on the side, but the rear pockets are large enough to fit a Rite-in-the-Rain field notebook and let you run around without loosing it, so they will carry some cargo. L.L Bean seems to go back and forth on if the pockets and double knees are a panel on the outside or on the inside. So some years runs are classier looking than others.

They're a lighter nylon that the Arborwear's that I had, but have stood up pretty well. Probably 400 days before I blew out the crotch on one pair, but that might be my own damn fault for wearing a regular instead of a long pair. And it was just the stitching that blew, so they're still in use.