26" tires for New England riding

Buying new rubber, going tubeless for the first time on a UST wheelset. I've been riding nevegals, and nevegals before that, and nevegals before that... Is there something else I should be looking at, or should I just stick with the tried and true?

Oh, and if anyone has 26" tires that'll meet my needs collecting dust, I'm all the happier to buy something used...

My favorites right now are the Mavic Charge/Roam combo and the the Hutchinson Squale.

I like Hans Dampf in the front and new style Nobby Nic on the rear wheel. I've tried quite a variety and really like this set up.

What bike? What travel?
    Anything over 140mm, put a 2.5 Minion DHF Exo on front, and 2.3 Minion DHR2 exo tr on back, take 2 edibles and call me in the morning.

Basically anything other than Nevagrips. They are some of the shittest tires about, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    What bike? What travel?
    Anything over 140mm, put a 2.5 Minion DHF Exo on front, and 2.3 Minion DHR2 exo tr on back, take 2 edibles and call me in the morning.
    This. I also like the HRII in the back.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    What bike? What travel?
    1st gen knolly endorphin.

WTB Vigilante
    Thread ovah!
    crab in my shoe mouth

HRII in front, Ardent in the back. Ungh!

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    HRII in front, Ardent in the back. Ungh!
    This.

Maxxis Minion DHF 26x2.30 EXO TR, IKON 26x2.35 EXO TR.

IME ust rims with non-ust tires may work and will probably be lighter but UST tires always work without any stans fluid or fucking around

I kinda liked nevegals cuz they were fast running faster than the maxxis my prophet came with & seemed to be enough traction but that was awhile ago
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-05-2015 at 09:50 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The only part of your question you'll get consensus on is that you should ditch the Nevegals. As a rule, ask ten people "What ties should I use?" and you'll get eleven different answers. Since you asked if anyone has any used tires lying around, I'm assuming you're trying to spend as little as possible. If that's the case, IMO dollar-for-dollar you can't do better than the CST BFT:

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categori...FYeBfgodSF8ApQ

Minions are better tires, but not 3-4x better. The BFTs work great tubeless too.

I like the vigilantes I'm running so far. Great tread for roots/rocks. Also on sale.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400238__400238

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400238__400238
    Good tire, good price. This is the RaceSport version of the tire

I have new specialized butchers for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Maxxis Minion DHF 26x2.30 EXO TR, IKON 26x2.35 EXO TR.
    I'd like to expand on this comment a bit. The 26x2.30 Minon's (DHF and DHR2) are tubeless ready with a UST compatable bead. They also have a beefed up EXO sidewall. So while they may not be full UST, they will hold air on a UST spec rim with a small amount of sealant or none at all. They are about 750-780g. So with a light UST profile / tubeless ready rim and tape-style tubeless, you're looking at a very light setup for agressive trail riding. The IKON is even lighter at under 700g. My new setup with WTB KOM i25's and tape tubeless will be nearly as light as the setup I used to run on my old school litespeed XC hardtail back in the day.

I'll pile on with another vote on the HRII for the rear, in the 2.3 tubeless ready variant.

Up front? Minion DHF 2.5, Bontrager XR4 2.35, Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.4 have all treated me well. EXO or tubeless ready varieties.

The Fat Albert is my current favorite of those, but I'll happily run any of the three.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper