TR: Buck Mountain

Figured I'd toss up a trip report from yesterday, May 2nd, in the Tetons. With finals week approaching here at MSU, a friend and I decided that a trip down to the Jackson to ski the East Face of Buck Mountain would probably be the best use of our time. We were on the trail a little before 4 AM and were up in the alpine by the time the sun was up.

The East Face of Buck coming into view.

The view towards the Grand was nothing short of spectacular.

Checking out the objective.

Then after a quick break we proceeded to ascend the East Face to the summit.

Looking down at the East Face from the top.

There had only been a shallow refreeze the night before and things were getting hot fast, so we didn't stick around on the summit for very long. In retrospect we probably should've gotten a slightly earlier start. The views from the top of Buck were truly stunning though. Even saw a pika in the rocks below the summit!

Summit photos

The East Face skied very well top to bottom, albeit the snow was a tad heavy in places. Overall though the skiing from the summit back to the snowline featured great corn snow. The snow down low was patchy to say the least...

We retraced our steps on the hike back to the car, and soon it was time to say goodbye to the Tetons and head back to Bozeman.

Awesome TR, thanks. Heading to Jackson next week, Bucks is on my to-do list.

At first I thought this was going to be about Buck Hill.

Buck Mountain > Buck Hill

sick! that east face of buck has always appealed to me, way to tag it!

Nice work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

nice work guys- I saw that ski the east sticker hidden in there too