Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Post What orbital sander should I buy (gonzo's router lol) ?

I'm looking to buy an orbital sander. Orbital instead of belt because I think it'll be more versatile. What the hell do I know? Nothing, exactly.

The first job this sander will have is to sand 600 square feet of wooden fence. Then I'd probably only use it for smaller workshop projects, so I don't need anything super Heavy Duty.

What say you?

Porter Cable or Milwaukee.
    worth the extra money (not that much extra)
    good reputation
    durable
    works well.

Aside from that, no matter what brand you use, get variable speed with dust collector and go for the hook and loop velcro system and buy paper in larger boxes. Velcro is quicker and easier (sticky back is a second option).
    the worst ones are the quarter sheet sanders that you use regular paper and have to clamp the paper manually - huge PITA.

Belt sander is for very heavy removal and you are right, not nearly as useful.
    Orbital with 60 or 80 grit will tear shit up.
    Orbital with 220 to 400 grit on a lower speed will do finish sanding beautifully.

for 600sq feet I would be rather inclined to use a belt sander (note: a fence? you fucking pussy it is a fence not some dildo vagina ride why sand the fucker?).

Orbital = wrong tool IMVHO

just rent a belt sander and then buy a nice orbital
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    for 600sq feet I would be rather inclined to use a belt sander (note: a fence? you fucking pussy it is a fence not some dildo vagina ride why sand the fucker?).

Orbital = wrong tool IMVHO

just rent a belt sander and then buy a nice orbital
    I know an orbital is not ideal for 600sqf, but I'm trying to do it for cheap.

Either way, thanks for the brand & model recommendations, lemon bitch.

What would Mr. Miyagi use?

I agree, why sand a fence? Just get some nice boards and stain em.

I rented and used a larger milwaukee orbital sander to plane out my subfloor before putting down laminate. It did the trick, easily. But be careful cause the less fine grit can truly tear the shit out of stuff.
    Last edited by extreeski; 04-26-2005 at 12:46 PM.

rent = cheapest

I am not a brand snob like many others here are. That said, I have found that while the tool itself may not be the highest performance of any out there Craftsman's are nice cause they don't fuck around with warranty. Other than that, I think for most home users almost any brand with the features they want/need will perform totally adequately.

Now, if you were planning on being a heavy user then yes, buying the best is smart. For shit that maybe gets used 1 or 4 times a year...
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by extreeski
    I agree, why sand a fence? Just get some nice boards and stain em.
    So I should just buy 600 square feet of cedar fencing every couple years when it starts to look like shit?

Or scrape and paint the fucker every year or just wait til it goes to shit before you do anything.
    Besides, I heard this was all about painting your LPs blue.
    Nice try.

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    or just wait til it goes to shit before you do anything.
    Yeah, that time has come.

Just got the call: I'm borrowing something from a friend. Thanks for all your helpful help guys.

Should have bought a belt sander...they you could grind your own skis
    Knowledge is Powder

I've got an orbital sander you can borrow (POS but will do the trick). Like others have said, are you crazy sanding your fence? I just apply water sealer with a sprayer every year when I do the deck, takes about 30 minutes a year. If you are going to paint, pressure wash (rent a beast and it works as well as sanding on a fence, might even knock it down). Good luck (let me know if you want someone to stop by and take a look at your project, remember that there are a lot of us around that do this kind of stuff a lot and could suggest a few alternatives that could save time and money).
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

Wink

Listen motherfuckers if the hottie at the home depot paint counter says to sand the fence then i'm going to sand the motherfucking fence.

Got it?

A power washer is the only way to prep a fence for painting or staining.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

porter cable quicksand.
    about 50-60 bucks at your local home center.

i use this all the time for paint prep stuff. three years later and the berings still sound good.

while i'm often sanding bondo or wood filler with it, thay make 60 grit so you can be failry agressive.
    if phunk has a painted fence, and he wants to sand out chipped areas, an orbital is way better than a belt. painters dont use belt sanders, that i've experienced anyways. scrape and sand. (sanding being done utilizing the hand technique or the sweet new orbital sander technique)

Quote Originally Posted by phUnk
    Listen motherfuckers if the hottie at the home depot paint counter says to sand the fence then i'm going to sand the motherfucking fence.

Got it?
    you poor misguided sucker. They cunt up people's projects for fun and profit.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

^^^^ I assume that tubular thing on the left is the LesboStrap attachment?

Hands-free sanding, here I come.

I'm very dissapointed that phUnk does not have a ski fence.
    "I smell varmint puntang."

What kind of power sprayer bullshit should I get then, fucksticks?

so disappointed you did not pull a Huck Fiinn on a bunch of us at the Liver Buster

Quote Originally Posted by phUnk
    Listen motherfuckers if the fence guy at the home depot paint counter says to sand the motherfucking hottie then i'm going to sand the fence.

Got it?
    Oh, yeah.........

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    Oh, yeah.........
    Wax on, wax off.

you could rent any power washer phunk, and it will knock all the loose paint off your fence, and you will have paint chips all over the street or back yard.

i've painted many fences without powerwashing first. if there is moss or other plantlife growing on your fence, then powerwashin is a good idea. its also nice to get the thinkg clean as the paint will stick better.
    if your fence is in realitvly good shape, and farily clean, i would polly just scrape where the paint is cracking or peeling and call it good and throw on some paint.
    renting powerwasher, getting the fence all wet and yourself all wet, then lettign it dry, then painting (gonna have to rent a paint sprayer now that you've gone to the trouble of power washing, as its the efficient way to go), is a fairly long process.

I'm still confused about what you're doing to this poor fence.

IMVHO a nicely weathered fence looks better than an antiseptic new one. If the boards are starting to rot then sanding/painting isn't gonna fix it. If it just splintery you should simply stop rubbing your pecker on it. Is it already painted? Fucking weirdos in utah I tell ya.
    -----------------------------

for a pressure washer just rent one.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    Is it already painted? Fucking weirdos in utah I tell ya.

its obviously already painted.

is this so hard for you to picture LB?
    its not like phunk is a rancher.

phunks phence is most likely of this variety

LB's fence is most lilkely of this variety
    Last edited by basom; 04-26-2005 at 02:44 PM.