Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oregon road trip?

The girlfriend, myself and another couple are heading to Oregon for a couple weeks. Last week of May, first week of June ish.

We've been to Smith Rock a few times and plan to head back there because the climbing is great and the beer is even better. We also want to go to the coast and check out the sand dunes.

http://www.oohva.org/OBCDR/route3.html

Anybody done any of the drives listed on that website? Picture below, routes 2, 3 and 6 look especially appealling:

Any recommendations for hot springs to check out? Other things we should see? Is late May too snowy up high for the Cascade drive? Does anybody plan to do those drives in that time frame as we will only have one vehicle?
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrr
    There are good men out there. Good men who are good looking, who ski hard, have their shit in order, know their priorities in life and will make you happy. I'm not one of them, but they are out there.

I've always wanted to check out the steen's. I'm pretty sure there a hot spring area on one side if the mountains. Looks like a cool, unique mountain area.

The caves near Grants pass are nice, and can be linked up with crater lake or a drive out to the coast.

Buster had some great advice in one of the California road trip threads. Maybe also look in Danno's summer road trip thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiilbert View Post
    Other things we should see?
    Have you been to Crater Lake?

Thanks for the advice. I didn't search, cause I'm a jong.

We have not been to Crater Lake. Caves sound awesome.
    There are good men out there. Good men who are good looking, who ski hard, have their shit in order, know their priorities in life and will make you happy. I'm not one of them, but they are out there.

I think you would do better picking out places that you want to go and forget about those "routes"
    I could spend a whole week at Crater Lake,or the length of highway 101
    “THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.” HST

Pretty good hot springs out there by Christmas lake. Eat at the cowboy dinner tree. Cascade lakes highway will be good to go by may, if not now.

See that area east of 395 and south of 20? That's the area you want to go to if you're looking for adventure. Sand dunes, playas, mountains, hot springs, canyons and endless open expanse.

crater lake -> oregon caves -> coast redwoods -> southern oregon coast to coos bay

One of my favorite areas anywhere.

Hot Springs found here http://soakoregon.com/
    I'm struggling to understand your itinerary. Are you entering from the south on 395? Do you want to tour through the Blues/wallowas?

Assuming you are arriving from the south do check out the empty quarter as Aaron suggests. Also
    - the Oregon Dunes run from Florence to Bandon, so take highway 126 to the coast from Smith Rock.
    - while on the way, ride the McKenzie River Trail, and soak at Belknap Hot Springs
    - check out the Painted Hills near John Day
    - if you go to the Wallowas, the tram up from Wallowa Lake might be open by then.
    - Plus 1 on Cowboy Dining Tree in Silver Lake. Make reservations now. Note - the vegetarian entree is steak, because cows eat grass.
    - if you get near Grants Pass, both the Oregon Caves and The Oregon Vortex are worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post
    crater lake -> oregon caves -> coast redwoods -> southern oregon coast to coos bay

+1

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post

^^ like he said

Depending on how much you want to drive I would go Smith rock then take 242 over McKenzie pass if it is open to 126 to Florence. You can stop off at Cougar hot springs along the way. Florence head south along the coast. If you can swing it go all the way to the Coast Redwoods in California. Back up to Grants Pass then Crater Lake and Umpgua Hot Springs. Back to the Bend area.

I would recommend Alvard Desert and Steens area if you want a more remote feel. There are hot springs and dunes in the area and pretty much nothing else. Eastern Oregon is wide open space. Probably have to sacrifice Crater lake to cover the distance. It is a long way from the coast.

If nothing else one piece of advice is to drive the coast north to south. All the good pullouts and views will be on the right for easier access.

Won't be too snowy this year and you are missing a few roads, especially for hotsprings. Not much to offer right now, PM if you want. Sand dunes outside of Florence are unreal. I love them on a quad but that time of year they may also be good to just walk around to the islands. Low snow year... check out Ollalie Lake next to Mt Jefferson. Have fun!

^^^What he said.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Second southern CA border to Coos Bay with a stop in Bandon for a truffle oil NY Strip steak at Alloro and a sunset at Face Rock.

Some of the greatest golf courses on the planet at Bandon Dunes, too.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by TacocaT View Post
    Depending on how much you want to drive I would go Smith rock then take 242 over McKenzie pass if it is open to 126 to Florence. You can stop off at Cougar hot springs along the way. Florence head south along the coast. If you can swing it go all the way to the Coast Redwoods in California. Back up to Grants Pass then Crater Lake and Umpgua Hot Springs. Back to the Bend area.

I would recommend Alvard Desert and Steens area if you want a more remote feel. There are hot springs and dunes in the area and pretty much nothing else. Eastern Oregon is wide open space. Probably have to sacrifice Crater lake to cover the distance. It is a long way from the coast.

If nothing else one piece of advice is to drive the coast north to south. All the good pullouts and views will be on the right for easier access.
    I personally would skip Cougar Hotsprings. Crowded and pay to play.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    I personally would skip Cougar Hotsprings. Crowded and pay to play.
    Yeah, but how's the quality of the cougars?

I agree that the south coast is great. Check out the botanical gardens in Charleston if thats your thing. Downside of the south coast is that for the most part the highway from BAndon north to Florence is inland.

Perhaps its because its just a hour away from home but but my fave part of the Oregon Coast is the short bit between Florence north to Newport. The Lighthouse at Heceta Head, Hobbit Trail, Neptune Beach, Devil's Churn/Cape Perpetua, Yachats 804 trail... end at the Rogue Brewery in Newport.

I agree with Steep.....hit Smith Rock, enjoy Bend, then drive through Sisters and go to Belknap Hot Springs (has camping), then on to Steep's route. I don't think the sand dunes by Florence are all that interesting. There is a natural pitcher plant state park just north of Florence that is cool, and the Green Salmon Coffee House and Luna Sea Fish House in Yachats are solid grinds.

Robert Plant in Bend on Monday May 25th

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    I agree that the south coast is great. Check out the botanical gardens in Charleston if thats your thing. Downside of the south coast is that for the most part the highway from BAndon north to Florence is inland.

Perhaps its because its just a hour away from home but but my fave part of the Oregon Coast is the short bit between Florence north to Newport. The Lighthouse at Heceta Head, Hobbit Trail, Neptune Beach, Devil's Churn/Cape Perpetua, Yachats 804 trail... end at the Rogue Brewery in Newport.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Crater lake
    South coast (pistol river, Bandon, port Orford etc)
    Beer

If bikes then black Rock for free ride and oak ridge for pedaling
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I've driven everyone of those routes and many not outlined on that map. Oregon's a beautiful state - hard to go wrong in any corner of it except for maybe Roseburg but at least they have fab wineries (so damn hot down there in the summer). One of my favorite routes is to drive south from Washington on the east side of the state, enjoy the sun, heat and high dessert then cross over either through McKenzie pass or further south if I'm going to Crater Lake/Sun River then take the coast drive back up to Washington. So many great stops on the coast - quaint towns, light houses, great campgrounds. As I said hard to go wrong. Get yourself a good guide book and a Oregon Atlas and Gazetteer and settle in for a four wheel drift.

P.S. If you're planning on any long beach walks you might consider picking up a tide table some of the beaches have high sheer cliffs that can trap you if you're wandering too far too long (tide will come up behind you and block your way back).

Beach Safety

The dune at Cape Kiwanda IMO is by far the coolest in the state. Huge and right on a nice beach with a great views.
    http://www.nwicon.com/cape-kiwanda-s...ctions-and.htm

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    The dune at Cape Kiwanda IMO is by far the coolest in the state. Huge and right on a nice beach with a great views.
    http://www.nwicon.com/cape-kiwanda-s...ctions-and.htm
    Great place to learn a little hang gliding!

Oregon State Parks has a great network of campgrounds throughout the state, many of them have yurts or small cabins for reasonable rates. They have a reservation system as well. Lots of them on the coast.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Great advice so far guys. I was curious about that SE corner of nothingness, will research further.

Does the gazetteer have hot springs marked? Our itinerary isn't terribly fixed. Oregon is small enough that I'm perfectly happy to crisscross it a few times if need be.

KQ, any 4x4 roads you strongly recommend we drive? We'll have a stock xterra, so regular logging roads are no problem.

No bikes, just climbing gear, photo gear and a sense of adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiilbert View Post
    Great advice so far guys. I was curious about that SE corner of nothingness, will research further.

Does the gazetteer have hot springs marked? Our itinerary isn't terribly fixed. Oregon is small enough that I'm perfectly happy to crisscross it a few times if need be.

KQ, any 4x4 roads you strongly recommend we drive? We'll have a stock xterra, so regular logging roads are no problem.

No bikes, just climbing gear, photo gear and a sense of adventure.
    The legend does have a notation for "Springs" but I think it may include all kinds of springs (i.e. wells). Check out this site, it contains a map to hot springs in Oregon:

Oregon Hot Springs

Cougar (Terwilliger) Hot Springs

Umpqua Hot Springs

Oregon Top 5: Best hot springs in Western Oregon

OREGON SWIMMING HOLES

Summer Lake Hot Springs

Can't speak to off road areas but the Gazettter is a huge wealth of information on BLM and forest service lands with detailed topographical information.

In your travels don't forget to consider Hells Canyon - it's the deepest canyon in the country with beautiful scenery.

RE: SE Oregon - check out these sites:

Oregons Great Basin Country

Visit SE Oregon

Owyhee River

Owyhee Canyonlands
    Last edited by KQ; 04-29-2015 at 03:49 PM.