Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    SOLD if you're willing to ship.

Totally. I'm not sure what my LBS is charging these days to box up a bike or what Bikeflights rates will be in a few months, but probably figure $150-200 for pack+ship.

I'm trying to find a quality 26er (or maybe 27.5) hardtail or light full suspension for my 9yo before our annual March trip to Utah. Anybody have any leads or ideas?

I've been looking at the Frog and Nukeproof bikes mentioned above but currently no stock. I can get a Woom Off Air (I think) but having a tough time buying that with the outdated geometry and proprietary parts.

Any suggestions?

Seth

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Totally. I'm not sure what my LBS is charging these days to box up a bike or what Bikeflights rates will be in a few months, but probably figure $150-200 for pack+ship.
    Sounds good. Do you know when you're going to be selling? I will be rolling through SLC in March a few times.

I'm not in a rush, and it depends on when I get around to getting the parts swapped out. If you'll be coming through SLC in March we can definitely work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I'm trying to find a quality 26er (or maybe 27.5) hardtail or light full suspension for my 9yo before our annual March trip to Utah. Anybody have any leads or ideas?

I've been looking at the Frog and Nukeproof bikes mentioned above but currently no stock. I can get a Woom Off Air (I think) but having a tough time buying that with the outdated geometry and proprietary parts.
    My daughter rides a Woom Off Air, and I'm happy with it in general. A few annoyances, and it's not cheap, but solid bike.

Any suggestions?

Seth

What's your budget? You could do a cleary and add a suspension fork or for more money the spawn yama Jama 26s are due in February.

I'd like to stay really close to $1000. I could go a bit higher but probably no more than $1200. I should have jumped on a Chinese carbon hardtail on pinkbike but I was really struggling with buying a carbon bike for my 9yo. And by that I mean my wife said no. :-)

Edit to add that I think a lightweight (25 pounds is less) hardtail is the way to go for him. It should climb well - we have a lot of climbing where we ride - and this is more important to me than a full suspension bike weighing 28-32 pounds.

I have looked at the Woom and may go that way - struggling with the proprietary/non-standard parts and the geo, but might end up going this way after all.

Anybody have any input on the Frog MTB 69? Looks like a reasonably light, upgradeable platform for the 10yo and his brother and sister behind him.

Just bought my daughter a Trailcraft Blue Sky Pro Build. Any options to make it even lighter (besides a rigid fork)? She's 34 lbs!

That bike is already only 20 pounds with front suspension. I'd say be patient and let her grow into it. Or get a bmx bike instead?

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Just bought my daughter a Trailcraft Blue Sky Pro Build. Any options to make it even lighter (besides a rigid fork)? She's 34 lbs!
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Nice!
    Seriously nice!!
    Uno mas

quality single track bike for kid

I'd like to stay really close to $1000. I could go a bit higher but probably no more than $1200. I should have jumped on a Chinese carbon hardtail on pinkbike but I was really struggling with buying a carbon bike for my 9yo. And by that I mean my wife said no. :-)

Edit to add that I think a lightweight (25 pounds is less) hardtail is the way to go for him. It should climb well - we have a lot of climbing where we ride - and this is more important to me than a full suspension bike weighing 28-32 pounds.

I have looked at the Woom and may go that way - struggling with the proprietary/non-standard parts and the geo, but might end up going this way after all.
    My eight y.o. is digging the Prevelo Zulu Four but clocks just north of 25lbs. Derailleur has been a touch funky but fine 95% of the time.

Cleary Scout on sale now too but no experience there. Heavier than the Zulu tho.

Never mind….. reading comprehension. Missed thread dates and the whole 26” thing.
    Last edited by Doremite; 08-24-2022 at 08:22 PM.
    Uno mas

I think that bike is just about the benchmark for light weight.

Congrats on the purchase!

Also: your 8 year old is tiny!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

quality single track bike for kid

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I think that bike is just about the benchmark for light weight.

Congrats on the purchase!

Also: your 8 year old is tiny!

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Haha. She’s 34 lbs now. Probably 37 lbs next summer when she gets on it at 6.5yo.

Got a good deal so I pulled the trigger now.

Shes on a Zulu Two now and I just switched tires to drop a pound.

Clearys are solid, my son just outgrew his 20 inch tire one. Replaced with a speshy riprock 24, which is crazy nice

I’m going to selling a sweet xs pivot Mach 6 26er shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Any options to make it even lighter (besides a rigid fork)? She's 34 lbs!
    I looked up the spec and there's not much low-hanging fruit there. A XTR cassette and RD might save ~150-200 g, but 10 sp XTR is hard to find right now and the bike is already so light it doesn't seem worth the cost and hassle. Just go ride that thing.

My 8 yo loves his new Cannondale Cujo 24+ so far. He's light so the ridgid fork with low pressure big Slant Six 24 x 2.6 tires to smooth out the ride seems like a winning combo. Drivetrain not the best, but he will eventually break that and then we will upgrade to a Deore 1x10 or 11.

Thoughts on setting up this bike tubeless? Fairly wide Cannondale house brand rim with the aforementioned Slant Six. Just to lower some rotating weight and reduce flat risk.

It will depend on your taping skills and if the rim profile is amenable. Worst case it doesn't work and you put the tubes back in.

Also what are you guys running for pedals for small kids feet (size 2-4) Want a flat with ok grip but definitely dont want bloody shin bite constantly that could turn a beginner off to riding. Any favorites?

My 9y/o daughter uses SDG Slater kid pedals does quite a bit of trail riding, paired w/ kid 5-10s.

My son has these Alston's which are pretty good, but I prefer the SDGs
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both of my suggestions are metal pin, but they're a bit broader and not nearly are sharp as a typical pin pedal. Neither kid has shinned themselves riding singletrack. Few very minor brushes but nothing significant.

She also had some odyssey bmx pedals w/ plastic pins that weren't too bad, but eventually started slipping off them sometimes, especially as they wore down. She rides a BMX bike on pumptracks w/ a Race Face Ride type pedal, all plastic which work well on smooth surfaces.

Rascalrides.com
    bikedads.com

Good resources for this stuff, along with the MTBR family threads, though you'll navigate through a bunch of ridiculous kids (over)builds in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Also what are you guys running for pedals for small kids feet (size 2-4) Want a flat with ok grip but definitely dont want bloody shin bite constantly that could turn a beginner off to riding. Any favorites?
    I got some Wellgo Xpedo KCF01AC pedals from aliexpress for my then 7 year old daughter. She likes them much better than the slippery plastic pedals that came with the bike. She’s been using them for about a year now, with only a couple of very light shin hits…