Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Thanks guys, will explore the other options, may dial in the reach on my good brakes to see if she can reach. Maybe she’s getting some m980 series XTR race brakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We have our kids on 20” lil shreader & 26/24” mullet Transition ripcord & coach youth biking out of Pine Hill / Killington area..... getting at least SLX level would be the way to go for giving confidence to the type of riding stuff we’ve got. Kids who show up w mech brakes never gain the confidence & often fatigue out thier smaller hands.

Finally got my 5 year old on a 20” geared bike and we’re starting to do actual mtb rides. The plastic flat pedals his Spec. Hot Rock came with just aren’t cutting it, especially for when he stands up and slips on the pedals. Any solid kids’ pedals that that won’t gouge his shins with sharp pins?

I know Chromag makes kids’ flats but they’re too pricey and are sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My daughter (8) is on the Odyssey in her color of choice that have been decent along with kids 5-10s. Think they may be end of life, planning on replacing them with the SDG slater 90 kids flat pedals, which have pins, but they seem broader/wider/duller than most adult pins.
    https://rascalrides.com/best-kids-bike-pedals/

I feel weird recommending some rando import shit off Amazon, but, these are super thin, kid-proportional, and stupid cheap. I think I paid more like $15 for them. Little Danny Jr sheds on em.

They also show another style that's a bit more normal shaped, no experience w those tho.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08C9...b_b_asin_title

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    I feel weird recommending some rando import shit off Amazon, but, these are super thin, kid-proportional, and stupid cheap. I think I paid more like $15 for them. Little Danny Jr sheds on em.

They also show another style that's a bit more normal shaped, no experience w those tho.

I was going to recommend the SDGs, but that's a nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post

SDGs do look pretty slick but hard to pass up these for $15. Ordered, thanks for the links.

Any reason you couldn't use a file to round out the edges on metal pins for kids when they're little, and replace them with fresh pins when they get older / better?

Picked up a pair of pink SDGs for my 8 y/o daughter (via local shop) and put a shop backorder for Red SDGs for my son, supposed to be here in Sept. In meantime picked up those Alston which look pretty good w/ the wider pins, worth a try for $17.

Edit - Alston's came which are really nice! Pins are pretty broad rounded, think it'll work out well. Will be a good comparison between those and the SDG

Also follow-up from earlier brake question. Ended up pulling trigger on some NIB e-bay Shimano MT200s for $100 for F/R pair. I have experience&tools for bleeding Shimano brakes and they have a pretty good reach adjustment. Would be hard for me to drop $300+ on a brakeset for a 48lb 8y/o riding a rigid bike on green/blue rated singletrack w/o any extended descents.
    Last edited by VTskibum; 08-02-2021 at 05:52 AM.

We had the littlest on a lil shredder. Damn choked at the price but what a change in her riding. And sold it for about what I bought it for.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    We had the littlest on a lil shredder. Damn choked at the price but what a change in her riding. And sold it for about what I bought it for.

We have one now for our youngest- it will be up for sale at end of season.changed our kids riding.

I don't think I've ever seen someone buy their kid a nice bike and regret it. The price hurts, but it's not actually a purchase, it's a long-term rental with a large refundable deposit.

Instead of some 69$ POS from a big box store my buddy got his 3 yr old kid a Spawn which is 650 $, he sez it was totally worth the $$$ cuz the kid digs it and is riding further

I seen kid way up the road with his Coach
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Came across this today. Not something I'm interested in personally but could be a good buy for the right person: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3152975/

Saw this today and thought I’d throw it out as it looks pretty good deal, especially anyone in NY/NJ

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7586780986198/

What are you guys doing for pads on kids? I'd like to pick up a reasonably priced set of elbow and knee pads for the boy. He's finally decided he wants to hit the trails. He's 7, but a little on the small side.

I'd say if he's just starting to ride trails, I'd be picking really mellow trails that wouldn't require anything more than a helmet. I don't think pads come into the equation for most kids until later and it becomes more consequential. My $0.02 and depends on the kid/situation of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    What are you guys doing for pads on kids? I'd like to pick up a reasonably priced set of elbow and knee pads for the boy. He's finally decided he wants to hit the trails. He's 7, but a little on the small side.
    GForm makes some pretty tiny stuff, or at least they used to. I've also seen people who made GForm pads smaller by stitching up the back. When they grow pop the stitches you put in and you just sized up for free. I also have one of these in M in excellent condition I'll give you for free: https://www.motosport.com/troy-lee-d...00FB-X001-Y002

I'd say if he's just starting to ride trails, I'd be picking really mellow trails that wouldn't require anything more than a helmet. I don't think pads come into the equation for most kids until later and it becomes more consequential. My $0.02 and depends on the kid/situation of course.
    Disagree, strongly. Even on mellow trails small kids take falls, it just happens. They're a lot more likely to get up and keep riding if they don't get bloody.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Disagree, strongly. Even on mellow trails small kids take falls, it just happens. They're a lot more likely to get up and keep riding if they don't get bloody.
    EXACTLY. And if they give him that extra little bit of confidence to ride over the rock, instead of around it, bonus.

Thanks for the offer on the suit. I'm probably going to hold off on that until I see how he does for the rest of the season. I'm just hoping for a few laps in Little Valley. I'll check out the G-Form, it was my first thought. TLD seems to make a decent set for the little ones too.

TLD does some good kids pads too. A full-face helmet is also not unreasonable once he ventures out of Little Valley. We spent a lot of time at Trailside at that age. I rigged up a tow system to haul him up and we'd spin laps for hours. These days there's better options than my DIY tow setup: https://towwhee.com/

quality single track bike for kid

I hear you guys on not bloody, but if that is a consequence not sure that trail is appropriate yet is what I’m saying.

Rocks shouldn’t even be an option on a first time 7 y/o ride. Think so mellow you’d be bored riding a road bike on it. Again just my $0.02 and ride w little kids often, not just mine and no pads.

I have heard for little kids, adult elbow pads can work decently for kid knee pads as well, may give you some try on options as I’d imagine kid pads may be hard to find in person.

My experience was that on any loose surface, even a completely flat well-graded dirt road, sometimes they'd randomly fold up the front tire and eat dirt for no apparent reason. I don't see any downside to padding them up even if they may not "need" it.

I hear you guys on not bloody, but if that is a consequence not sure that trail is appropriate yet is what I’m saying.

Rocks shouldn’t even be an option on a first time 7 y/o ride. Think so mellow you’d be bored riding a road bike on it. Again just my $0.02 and ride w little kids often, not just mine and no pads.

I have heard for little kids, adult elbow pads can work decently for kid knee pads as well, may give you some try on options as I’d imagine kid pads may be hard to find in person.

What trail isn't appropriate? A trail with a rock on it?!!! FFS. Do you think I'm taking him down the Rampage course?

I got a set of Race Face Sendy pads for my kid last Christmas (4 at the time). They fit ok over his sweatpants, but he prefers not to wear them due to bulk. I've also got a set of TLD Stage adult M/L elbow pads for myself that look like they'd be awesome knee/shin pads for him that I'm going to try on him next time we're doing some progression riding.

What I think is more important (but haven't found a good solution for yet) is gloves. When they have little low speed crashes, they tend to go down onto their hands. Gloves and long sleeves will prevent scrapes most of the time. I have a pair of TLD youth small gloves for him, but the fingers are a bit long and it's tough to convince him to wear them. It's tough finding the right size and in a color he likes (red).

I just ordered a Towhee since his main excuse not to ride lately has been the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Finally got my 5 year old on a 20” geared bike and we’re starting to do actual mtb rides. The plastic flat pedals his Spec. Hot Rock came with just aren’t cutting it, especially for when he stands up and slips on the pedals. Any solid kids’ pedals that that won’t gouge his shins with sharp pins?

I know Chromag makes kids’ flats but they’re too pricey and are sold out.

What do you think of that Hot Rock? There is a used one nearby that is cheap and looks barely used, and my boy needs a bigger bike. I don't even own a mountain bike at the moment, but ride local trails on a gravel bike.

^^^ my kid is on an older 24" hot rock fully rigid. He does great on it. Heavier for sure, but he is stronger now. The newer hot rocks are even heavier with the suspension fork, but they have decent geo.

Pads. My kid wears these on the downhills and will even sometimes climb in them. Otherwise they are in my pack. Velcro on makes for easy off/on while riding. For $15 well worth it when we need them.

https://www.amazon.com/KIDS-TITAN-GU...69136148&psc=1