Thread: Sedona Review

Sedona Review

Sedona Review

The Aspen of the Red Rocks. By all quick appearances Sedona is very much portraying the elite desert red rock go to spot for the Baby Boomers.

My short visit there was interesting to say the least. From the good riding to a few pissed off redneck locals, I feel like I was able to experience a lot in just 24 hours. Now I know that 24 hours is not at all a lot time to give an honest, and fair review, but none the less, here is mine.

The Good:
    Sedona Singletrack lived up to everything I've heard. I did not ride Hangover trail but I gather that is sick. I did get to ride Slim Shady, Templeton, Lama, EZ Breezy, and Little Horse. Looped em up and lapped. The trails are well built and designed with purpose. They definitely rival Moab singletrack.

The Bad:
    These trails are all right next to the main road and thus became filled with the Boomers hiking at a snails pace. I have only encountered more hikers on trails than this place in one other spot - Apex trail in the CO front range.

Sedona is full of mansions and people who seem to only want to take helicopter tours and take pictures from the road; or go hiking with little more than a bottle of Aquafina.

One asshole yelled at me for riding my bike through the roundabout saying I should be on the sidewalk.

Finally the crowds were insane. I'm sure it is the peak season there, but coming from someone who visits Moab a lot, this place has hardly any camping and only one main roadway. Again, it's like the Aspen of the red rocks. The traffic was so backed up it took 40mins to drive a 7 mile stretch through town.

Tl;Dr
    24 hours ain't much time to see it all. That said this place has some seriously good biking and views but I didn't care for the crowds and lack of camping.

pretty spot on. I can see people getting turned off by the vibe there since some of the trails are pretty busy, especially the ones not far off the road. The mansions and $$ there kinda feel like it's the Boulder of Arizona.

Next time you go back ride Hiline, Peccary, Broken Arrow, Aerie/Mezcal/Cockscomb and Chuckwagon...those are some of my favs. Slim Shady to Templeton is always a fun one to lap. Sounds like you got some good riding in for just a day though.

One thing I do notice when riding there is that the miles are slow, a lot of up/down and everything is a lot more rocky/technical than it looks on the ratings. a 8-10mi ride could easily be a 2hr ride and it's easy to get sandbagged thinking that a trail is only rated a "single black" and you're used to riding that stuff back in CO.

Have to say we were there on Halloween and apparently the entire region was in the old town.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Yep.

I spent 4 days there in late March and thought the trails were awesome, but the town and vibe is the suck. Such a strange mix of weird crystal people, White Tennie Brigade, fucking Pink Jeeps, and some mtn bikers sprinkled in.
    The only worthwhile details beyond the trails were Tortas en Fuego and the beer selection at Whole Foods (mostly cuz I'm Utarded). Cafe Elote was the most overhyped, longest wait, mediocre meal I've had in my life. Frida here in SLC destroys it as far as 'fancy mexican' food goes.

All that said, I would like to go back in January or some mellower time of year, rent a house and ride my face off without dodging white tennie crew.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Yep.

I spent 4 days there in late March and thought the trails were awesome, but the town and vibe is the suck. Such a strange mix of weird crystal people, White Tennie Brigade, fucking Pink Jeeps, and some mtn bikers sprinkled in.
    The only worthwhile details beyond the trails were Tortas en Fuego and the beer selection at Whole Foods (mostly cuz I'm Utarded). Cafe Elote was the most overhyped, longest wait, mediocre meal I've had in my life. Frida here in SLC destroys it as far as 'fancy mexican' food goes.

All that said, I would like to go back in January or some mellower time of year, rent a house and ride my face off without dodging white tennie crew.
    You must ride the white line!

White line!!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I second Tortas en Fuego - great place for a meal. On the camping front, there's primitive camping west of town, but yeah, if you want developed camping, you need to look down at Horsethief Ranch State Park in Cottonwood. Sedona's like Telluride in that regard; they'd rather you be generating tax revenues in spendy lodging, so the convenient dirtbag camping options are limited. But pink jeeps aside, the weather and the riding are spectacular.

The attitude among the old retired boomers that live there can be fucking annoying. A lot of them (not all of them) have such an air of entitlement it's unbelievable. Honestly though I hardly have any real problems with the crowds on the trails but living here I ride when I know it's not super crowded and when it is I am ok with it being busy. The 8000 square foot McMansions that see life for a few weeks by an old retired couple built all around town is an eyesore for sure. The food overall is overpriced and not worth it imo, Tortas De Fuego being an exception. The new age scene is goofy as shit but at least they bring some sort of funky culture to the table.

But........fuck all of that, the trail system is insane! From the sounds of these posts you guys have barely scratched the surface. Hiline, Hogs, and Hangover are silly but there is so much more. There is also a ton of really fun short and steep free ride type lines all over. Throw in Flag up the road and the place is a true world class destination. We ride year round here, the weather between the 7 climate zones within 45 minutes of driving is spectacular.

There is free camping way out in west Sedona, it is unfortunately away from the trails though.

Anyways, next time any of you come through give me a shout and if I can I would be happy to show you around.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Throw in Flag up the road and the place is a true world class destination. We ride year round here, the weather between the 7 climate zones within 45 minutes of driving is spectacular.
    This is why I'm coming back the 3rd year in a row in a week or two. The riding truly is world class. I've seen a lot of people compare it to Moab, but I don't really think there is much comparison at all. The scenery, riding, trails are totally different. You pretty much have to drive to get to trail systems in Moab, not so much in Sedona and everything pretty much connects.

Jealous you guys get to ride year round with no more than a 45min drive. Sounds like it's pretty easy to ski + bike in the same day even in mid winter.

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    This is why I'm coming back the 3rd year in a row in a week or two. The riding truly is world class. I've seen a lot of people compare it to Moab, but I don't really think there is much comparison at all. The scenery, riding, trails are totally different. You pretty much have to drive to get to trail systems in Moab, not so much in Sedona and everything pretty much connects.

Jealous you guys get to ride year round with no more than a 45min drive. Sounds like it's pretty easy to ski + bike in the same day even in mid winter.

You can ski and ride in the same day, sometimes I do that if the skiing sucks but it's not usually a thing I care to do. It's just too much work and driving. On the last week this season you could ski and then ride the Arizona trail down from Snowbowl. Make sure to come and ride here this trip, it's been real good and the trails are getting cleared. Let me know, I'll show you around. I'm done with finals after next week and will be riding as much as possible for the month of May!

But........fuck all of that, the trail system is insane! From the sounds of these posts you guys have barely scratched the surface. Hiline, Hogs, and Hangover are silly .....
    Quoted for truth. Hangover! It's good to have a local along.

Thinking about a flag/Sedona trip mid May. Will it be getting too hot? If not anyone around to ride? Would love some local info. Rewarded in beer of course.
    My other thoughts are to head north and ride fruita/Moab but it'll prob be hot there too.
    Last edited by cptpowder; 04-30-2015 at 03:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    We don't make those skis specifically for Andy, but we make them specifically for kick-ass skiers like Andy who use them in freeride comps and the everyday comp where they compete against themselves.

If I can I'll take you on a ride or two. Flag is perfect right now. Shuttle assisted xc rides is the best way to sample Flag. I would post up a pic but I can't figure out how that works since it was changed.

Sedona is getting hot but riding early and late will be awesome through May. Hiline and Hangover are do not misses. You should ride The Hogs, Slim Shady and at least one ride in west Sedona for a mellower brainless single track jam too. It's all good.

Well check me out, I got it. This is from today on Sunset trail, it's roosty!
    Last edited by RaisingArizona; 05-01-2015 at 04:29 PM.

If I can I'll take you on a ride or two. Flag is perfect right now. Shuttle assisted xc rides is the best way to sample Flag. I would post up a pic but I can't figure out how that works since it was changed.

Sedona is getting hot but riding early and late will be awesome through May. Hiline and Hangover are do not misses. You should ride The Hogs, Slim Shady and at least one ride in west Sedona for a mellower brainless single track jam too. It's all good.

Well check me out, I got it. This is from today on Sunset trail, it's roosty!
    Nice thanks RA! Ill hit you up as we get closer. Never ridden Flag but Ive been to Sedona once. Gorgeous riding no doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    We don't make those skis specifically for Andy, but we make them specifically for kick-ass skiers like Andy who use them in freeride comps and the everyday comp where they compete against themselves.

If you don't dig the vibe and crowds in Sedona, go to Flag. Better riding and town there, imo. Free camping pretty much anywhere you want, right next to trails. Flag is the total package and you don't have to spend any money.

RA, what's the latest on the trail plan up there? Any changes this year or still in planning phase?

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong View Post
    If you don't dig the vibe and crowds in Sedona, go to Flag. Better riding and town there, imo. Free camping pretty much anywhere you want, right next to trails. Flag is the total package and you don't have to spend any money.
    This. Stay in Flag, day trip to Sedona. Plenty of good riding around Flagstsaff, and its a college town so the night life is...lively. Even if the bars close at 1.

Bars close at 2 these days and ya, it's lively alright with a shit ton of super hot young girls. It's great if you are in your 20's or young to mid 30's for all of that. I think I'm getting too old for the down town scene these days, it's not really my thing any longer.

dk, We are waiting to see what happens with the planned thinning projects for the MEDL region, the FS thinks the decisions for the thinning or FWPP should be complete by this fall and then they will be putting more focus on the MEDL trails and recreation project. It's underway and thing are happening but it's government and slow as it gets. I did ride the chair this past winter with the wildlife biologist and she told me that the dh trails or Reserves area got the green light so I'm excited about that! For now we have to wait, the timing sort of worked against us getting new trails on the ground. The thinning is their main concern and rightfully so, that mountain is a ticking time bomb and if it went up on the right day our principle summertime playground would be useless for 10+ years until the soil stabilized.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Sedona Review

The Aspen of the Red Rocks. By all quick appearances Sedona is very much portraying the elite desert red rock go to spot for the Baby Boomers.

My short visit there was interesting to say the least. From the good riding to a few pissed off redneck locals, I feel like I was able to experience a lot in just 24 hours. Now I know that 24 hours is not at all a lot time to give an honest, and fair review, but none the less, here is mine.

The Good:
    Sedona Singletrack lived up to everything I've heard. I did not ride Hangover trail but I gather that is sick. I did get to ride Slim Shady, Templeton, Lama, EZ Breezy, and Little Horse. Looped em up and lapped. The trails are well built and designed with purpose. They definitely rival Moab singletrack.

The Bad:
    These trails are all right next to the main road and thus became filled with the Boomers hiking at a snails pace. I have only encountered more hikers on trails than this place in one other spot - Apex trail in the CO front range.

Sedona is full of mansions and people who seem to only want to take helicopter tours and take pictures from the road; or go hiking with little more than a bottle of Aquafina.

One asshole yelled at me for riding my bike through the roundabout saying I should be on the sidewalk.

Finally the crowds were insane. I'm sure it is the peak season there, but coming from someone who visits Moab a lot, this place has hardly any camping and only one main roadway. Again, it's like the Aspen of the red rocks. The traffic was so backed up it took 40mins to drive a 7 mile stretch through town.

Tl;Dr
    24 hours ain't much time to see it all. That said this place has some seriously good biking and views but I didn't care for the crowds and lack of camping.
    funny shit, 24 hrs is not enough time to "discover" sedona

I guess I'm used to trophy homes and rich people so I didn't really notice any of that, sure there is a ton of downstate new yorker types who are annoying but............ don't know about the food either cause I don't need anything more than basic, then again breckenridge is king of over priced shitty food with absolutely shitty service, the crystal vortex people well they are what they are, who cares too, talked to this guy who lives there and he broke it down for me and said anyone desperate for something will believe anything they are told

as for the riding you barely touched the trail system with what you rode, but a good start, the riding is pretty darn good with so many options it would take a couple days to ride most of it, yeah watch out for the people for sure, never saw so many people with plastic disposable water bottles in my life, then they just drop them along the trail for the water bottle fairy to pick up, the nice thing is the people are concentrated in certain areas, like where you rode, some trails you get on and wonder if your the only one around or if your even allowed to ride the trail

We can bitch about the people and the stupidity but on the other hand at least people are getting outside and experiencing nature which is a short fall in our society.

The town and the riding area great plenty of cheap lodging options, just stay away on the weekends i'll be back in november and january to pick out my retirement home