I'm going going, back back, to Cali Cali

Flying into LA and heading right to Santa Barbara and then to San Luis Obispo. Any tips on what we should check out or not miss, routes to take, etc? I'm also looking for some good beer that we cannot get east side We don't have a lot of time in any one place as it's kind of whirlwind college tour, eventually flying out of SF. The northern half above Big Sur I know fairly well having been there several times living in Truckee, but I've never been below that point....well, except SD coming from NM.

Last edited by strawjack; 04-21-2015 at 09:35 AM.

Try again....

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Stop in Buellton and get some pea soup.

Seriously though, go to Miguel's on the beach in Santa Barbara for dinner, killer.

Is Miguel's in Santa Barbara or technically the next town over? Couldn't find it on a quick search assuming...it's Mexican.
    https://www.santabarbara.com/dining/...sine=c_mexican

Santa Barbara beer - make sure to check out Figueroa Mountain Brewing Company just off lower State street. Also The Brewhouse is more of a local spot not too far away (you can actually follow the train tracks from Figueroa a few blocks right down to it). Santa Barbara Brew Co has a few good beers (a few blocks up State) but I much prefer the other two.

For food I could recommend a bunch of good places - what do you like?

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    I'm sure you've been, but McWay Falls in Julia Pfeiffer Burns state park is a must. I'd take HWY 1 out of SLO all the way up to Santa Cruz... there's no better road in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Santa Barbara beer - make sure to check out Figueroa Mountain Brewing Company just off lower State street. Also The Brewhouse is more of a local spot not too far away (you can actually follow the train tracks from Figueroa a few blocks right down to it). Santa Barbara Brew Co has a few good beers (a few blocks up State) but I much prefer the other two.

For food I could recommend a bunch of good places - what do you like?
    We like Mexican and Seafood.

We are doing something sort of halfway similar in July, but down and back from the Bay Area to SLO. We want to take the kids to the Aquarium in Monterrey.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kied View Post
    I'm sure you've been, but McWay Falls in Julia Pfeiffer Burns state park is a must. I'd take HWY 1 out of SLO all the way up to Santa Cruz... there's no better road in the US.

Fake waterfall.....it is constructed to fall that far out FYI.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Mexican...

Carlito's - fancy mexican food, a bit over-priced but really good. (upper State)
    Casa Blanca - newer place on lower state, good food and margaritas.
    Los Arroyos - On Figueroa just off State - cheap and quick, but good.
    Blue Agave - Mid State area, on Ortega. Spicy, really good. Nice Tequila selection.

There's also a bunch of hole in the wall places that are usually pretty solid.

Seafood...

The Fish House - Cabrillo along the water, right near Channel Island's surf shop.
    Sushi Arigato - Upper State near Victoria.
    The Palace Grill - Cajun style restaurant, on Ortega.
    Enterprise Fish Co. - lower State, always decent

Other good spots...

- Stella Mare's - french cuisine, a bit out of the way but great food.
    - Holdren's Steakhouse (mid State)
    - The Lucky Penny - A good morning spot for coffee and breakfast, which is right near Figueroa Brew co. Same complex. There's also a new restaurant there called The Lark that I hear is good but haven't tried yet.
    - Brophy's by the harbor - good bar to hang out if over that way.
    - Zen Yai - lower state, thai food

Creekside and SLO Brewing in SLO. Café Roma in SLO for good Italian food. There are a couple of other brew pubs in town, and good bars on Higueria St. Good places to get hammered are McCarthy's and Bull's Tavern.
    On the way from SB, you can get authentic Santa Maria BBQ at the Far Western just south of Santa Maria or Jocko's in Nipomo.
    Stop in Carmel and hang out for a day or so. Just north of Carmel, Passionfish in Pacific Grove for sea food. Monterey Aquarium.
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 04-21-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Fake waterfall.....it is constructed to fall that far out FYI.
    You're right. Fake titties are boring to look at too. What was I thinking.

Is Miguel's in Santa Barbara or technically the next town over? Couldn't find it on a quick search assuming...it's Mexican.
    https://www.santabarbara.com/dining/...sine=c_mexican
    Sorry, it's been a while, it's Emilio's Ristorante on Cabrillo. Great Italian food.

stawjack, when are you flying into LAX? If there's time, maybe we can get together and cuddle a little?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

The Reel Inn in Malibu has delicious seafood. I was skeptical at first, but my buddy who is an LA local took me there and it was bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    stawjack, when are you flying into LAX? If there's time, maybe we can get together and cuddle a little?

Thanks for the tips all.

My son is bringing his board, so as he's surfing my wife and I will be drinking and chilling. I might rent a log once or twice

I'm going going, back back, to Cali Cali

To add:

Santa Barbara Shellfish Co - shack at the end of the pier. Great spot for fresh crab with anchorsteam on tap. Go during off times as its tiny and in the center of the SB tourist trap. Bar seating only with a few outside tables.

Lark - High end option that should not be missed if you're looking for that sort of thing. Make a reservation yesterday.

La superica - shack on Milpas. Well know, lines out the door burritos. Take away. CASH ONLY

Baja Fresca - cheap Mexican on the Mesa. Great fish tacos. Order at the bar and plenty of seating. Great post Mesa Lane surf spot meal.

Second Los arroyos - locations in montecieto and SB

Renaud's - Breakfast, coffee, and croissants. Real deal. Upper State

Summerland Beach Cafe - solid breakfast, large menu, in an old Victorian. Summerland, on your way to or from rincon.

Cadario - best Italian in town but $$$
    Last edited by kneedropper; 04-22-2015 at 08:41 AM.

^^ I blanked on Cadario and Baja Fresca. Good call. On the Mesa note, the Boathouse at Hendry's beach is a nice spot for a drink too - a huge improvement over the old Brown Pelican.

Another good Italian place is Olio e Limon.

I left off Superica because it's so over-hyped.

So happy to be back in the land of tailgaters/finger throwing drivers as that central coast driving was so confusing. I just didn't understand all the extra space between cars on the highway. People were actually smiling and friendly. Truly a frightening experience. And the weed smoke everywhere...the horror!

Funky (?) section in SB where the brewery and lucky penny is at was pretty cool. Nice town. SLO seemed similar, but little too far off the beach...but not really. We stayed in Pismo, which is classic touron beach town, but beach front ftw. One surf shop is practically a museum which was cool.

I'm still a SC fan even (waves and access to tahoe) though driving around that town is like driving the roads back east. I'm finally starting to know my way around...kinda.

I have to say when it comes to beer, I think the VT, ME, and NH offerings are better than what I found. SD and RR obviously are solid, but not so much with the locals I found. The Figueroa hurricane (?) I think was my favorite.