South America 2015

It's that time again. The snow is falling around the lakes, and the resorts will be opening in a couple months.

Who's heading down? I'll be around Las Leñas mid August till closing, and elsewhere till October sometime. If anyone needs help with accommodation or anything in Leñas, feel free to PM me.

South America 2014
    South America 2013
    South America 2012
    South America 2011
    South America 2010
    South America 2009
    South America 2008
    South America 2007

South America Ski
    Chile Info

Snow Forecast Argentina Ski Resorts
    Snow Forecast Chile Ski Resorts

Can I ask what you do that lets you get away like that? I'd love to spend July and August in South America. Too hot here then. And how would one go back and forth with 4-legged friends?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

All my work is pretty seasonal. In the summer, I coach sailing during the day and bar tend at night. I can crank out lots of hours and stack cash for a couple months, and then get down to South America by mid August usually.

No easy way with pets it seems.... you'll just have to drive down instead!

we will most likely go for 5 to 6 weeks, august/september, should be back in austria around september 20th.
    i would like to ski in the north (if they ever see snow again), we will probably avoid las lenas though.

freak~[&]

Extra bedroom for non Jongs in BsAs if anyone is stoping over on the way to the mountains and needs a place to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

sooo, flights are booked, we arrive in buenos aires on august 15th and leave from there september 17th. no real plans on where to go inbetween yet.

freak~[&]

Looks like Catedral got effed with rain: http://bariloche2000.com/noticias/le...catedral/91787
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Freezing level in Chile is high too, more rain coming through Saturday when it will finally fall to below 2,000m.

Rain in Chile, but here in Norway the summerski resorts have been closed for a few days because of TOO MUCH SNOW. Not kidding.

Take a look here:
    http://www.folgefonn.no/nyheter/70/s...i-og-heistrase It basically says resort is closed until they can clear the road again.

Another option is:
    https://www.facebook.com/strynsommerski Same story there.

A Google image search will give you a pretty good idea about what it's like there:
    http://bit.ly/1eQ7eT1

And if you are skinning ten-fifteen minutes you get a lot of terrain like this:
    http://uteguiden.com/wp-content/uplo...0-1000x450.jpg

Taken from very short guide in english here:
    http://uteguiden.com/en/guiding-2/fr...ryn-summerski/

If you are going to Chile now, you are doing it wrong.

Edit: That said, it's not the Andes, so you wont get as big terrain. Season also close earlier. Still plenty good terrain though, and a whole lot of snow.
    Last edited by LiveLarger; 06-03-2015 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Clearify

Positively dumping here in Bariloche. Cathedral is closed because it doesn't have power. Going to be skiing the mountain tomorrow. Also, going to do some backcountry trips early next week if anyone is around and interested.

Living in Argentina this summer llyon how is Las Leñas fairing? I wanted to take a trip up there at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Nice to see the shit show we used to call Las Lenas is still operating like normal.

Traveled through Chile/Argentina for six weeks in 2013. Was a low snow year and still was the best six weeks of my adult life. If you are considering making a trip to South America, make it happen. You won't regret it. The people were amazing. The food and drink was delicious (except for the lack of coffee, of course), and the mountaineering was as much as you wanted it to be.

I'm booking another trip to South America this week. I will be arriving in Santiago the last week of August, departing early October. I Have friends in Portillo, Bariloche, Pucon, and Ushuaia, but they all work. Would be interested in linking up with some maggots for company, stoke, and shredding. Will update as tickets are booked and the snow falls. Hope to see a few of you down there.
    An Evolutionary Rider

www.PeaksforPeace.com

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Neptuno hit by avy?....
    Inconceivable! Patrol must have got a batch of bad Chilean maté.