Late June AK Float Trip Help

Four of us are in the initial planning stage for a 6-8 day float trip in Alaska. Looking like the last week in June 2016. Will be self-guided, 2 rafts. We're all decent on the sticks but don't want to run anything much above a high III/low IV. Big bows will likely be our main target but we'd also like to get on some water that is starting to see salmon (river sushi) or other species. We're also hoping to not spend more than 1-day traveling from/to ANC. Two floats have caught our attention so far - American Creek and the Alagnak (lots of jetboats?). Thoughts on those two? Any other rivers to start researching?

AK Mags - If you had a week in late June + 5wt and 7wt rods, where would you float?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    did american creek years ago bout late june
    1st ones down that season a bit of deadfall sweeper cutting saw 1 other group
    fantanstic fishing up high would spend a day or 2 big bows o plenty big bears and all the dollies you could ever want 2 catch

no real white water maybe a short 2 or so although a solid day of skinny water rock garden class 1
    great float
    i really want to float the kisaralik or AC again
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Nice fish! Thanks for the info SFB.

The Kanektok is called the "Chosen River" among those in the know. I did it 10 years ago and it certainly lived up to its reputation. You can go from Anchorage to the headwaters at Lake Kagati in one day...no problemo given that a day at summer solstice lasts around 21 hours in southern AK. No real rapids; route finding through the upstream braids is the real issue. As for rods, you'll want to have a sturdy 6wt for bows, dollies and graylings. AK bows and dollies can get big and there's no rod shops in the back country to replace a flimsy 5wt. There's 5-15lb salmon, so its an 8wt for chums, sockeyes, pinks. For 15-35lb kings a 9wt or 10wt. I've landed two 25lb kings on an 8wt and I wouldn't recomend it; if they'd been full size Kanektok kings (appx.35lb), probably would have broken the rod. Transportation to and fro and gear rentals are done through either Bethel or Dillingham. You have to plan for weight limits. There's operations in both towns that specialize in everything you need to rent and your air transport. Bethel is dry, so Dillingham is obviously the more popular of the two gateway towns. Buy your whiskey in Anchorage.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 04-23-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Ktok, among other rivers, has had king closure the last few years I believe. Worth keeping an eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Ktok, among other rivers, has had king closure the last few years I believe. Worth keeping an eye on.
    Bummer. I did it in 2004. I lucked out, offshore surveys said 2004 had the biggest runs in 25 years. Sure seemed like it. Everywhere you looked it was fish, fish, fish.....My old friend Carter, He of the Obsession, put that trip together and, it's true, Big Boy is pretty damn good at finding the big fish. He said "Alaska" and I said "I'll go!" I really had about zero idea of where I was actually going so it was like falling ass backwards into the angling experience of a lifetime. I'd still recommend the river just for the bows, dollies and grayling, if that didn't go into decline along with kings. We were with a guide who'd done 89 runs down the river and he knew the small side channels well. Simply insane trout fishing hidden away in those side channels.

I looked it up. All rivers in the Kuskokwim Bay drainage are still closed to targeting kings for sport fishery in 2015. 2016 may see a return of the sport season. But the regs are written so that its effectively a catch and release season; kings "incidentally" hooked while fishing for other salmon must be released without removing them from the water, that's all. Funny thing, tho, if fishing for kings isn't a priority, a king closure would be an advantage in that it probably cuts down the number of June/July bookings as the die-hard salmon anglers will reschedule for silvers or go elsewhere.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 04-26-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Bumping my old post. Ended up doing a salt trip back in 2016 and never made it to AK. However, a buddy is turning 50 in next year and 4 of us are in for a self guided AK trip mid July '24. Starting the planning process and will lock things in this summer. Will have 12 days (including travel) so 9-10 day float.

Rivers we are looking at:

1. Kanektok is high on our list (great info neckdeep). Being able to target 4-5 species of salmon plus bows, char and grayling sounds killer. One of the guys is a bit concerned with the jet boat traffic on the last 4 days/40 miles but it seems like pretty much every decent sized river in AK has some level of jet boat traffic?
    2. American Creek is still on the list (thanks SFB). However, since we have 9-10 days, thinking maybe something a bit longer than 32mi.
    3. Arolik. I read that it can be a PITA if the water levels are low. Plus I believe that it's catch and release only. We are hoping to keep a salmon or two for dinner each night so that would change our plans for protein/sushi night(s).
    4. Aniak. At 140 miles, we'd have to cover a lot of water every day and worried it would be a bit rushed.

What other rivers should we consider? Remoteness is a high priority, but great fishing is right up there as well.