TR: Little Fat Sahara

https://vimeo.com/mikedebernardo/littlefatsahara

You might want to wear headphones if you’re watching this at work; it contains some colorful music that your boss may not appreciate. Or don’t, whatever, I’m not your mom.

Sand Mountain

The sign just inside the guard shack said it had been exactly 0 days since the last serious accident, even if they don’t update the sign it’s still pretty funny. Or, maybe they do update it and people are wrecking themselves every single day, even better!

The sand dunes at Little Sahara are typically buzzing with motorized vehicles at high speeds but we timed our trip for the beginning of the week and were able to avoid a lot of traffic on the sand. It worked out well because we were hiking up Sand Mountain throughout the day, moving slowly and sometimes we weren’t always visible to oncoming moto craziness.

The riding felt more like backcountry skiing than mountain biking. We drove to the bottom of the hill, scouted a line, hiked up then rode down. The sand itself had a feeling very similar to skiing powder. In the main bowls where most of the traffic would go, the sand was tracked out and not as fun to ride a bike down. Sticking to the ridges and wind buffed areas we were treated to untracked sand and undulating terrain. Rather than just bombing down as fast as we could we were messing around trying to make ski turns.

haha! Sweet!

I was just by that place last month with the same thought. It was a Saturday though and going by the bazillion dollars in turboed out Polaris razors in every direction, I thought better of it.

Looks like fun.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Great stuff as always. Given what that place looks like on a typical weekend, it's seems entirely plausible that the sign was updated. I seem to recall a local news story a while back that said the local EMT crew just drives out there every Sat/Sun morning and waits for the bodies to start rolling in.

Fucking yes! That is awesome. Way to go boys. Will likely share your video on the interwebz if that's cool.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Fucking yes! That is awesome. Way to go boys. Will likely share your video on the interwebz if that's cool.
    fine with me

On Memorial Day weekend I think the Life Flight just does laps between there and the U hospital.

edit to add: That video was rad. I want to go reeeel fast down those things!
    Last edited by flowtron's ghost; 04-21-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Nice photos and video.

Awesome TR! You guys should go to Glamis sometime. Mid winter, mid week it's basically a ghost town. Endless dunes.

Whoa! Dunfee lured me back to TGR forumz with his social trolling. Bastard.

Nice one boys. I'd be terrified of the moto traffic.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.