Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    just thought that needed to be said again

but people still are cool, they still know each other, and they still make it work no one that falls into that group is out there advertising it anymore, you go about your business living your life while dipshits show up season after season, weekend after weekend, and month after month living that fantasy lifestyle that some ski magazine promotes

back to the topic at hand, vail does suck in some ways its great in other ways, people will loose their jobs, quit, etc. they'll pump a ton of money into the resort, but you have to understand they are catering to the weekend skier, holiday skier, the person who reads ski magazines in the living room, the local who skis close to 100 days a year is not anyone they care about, they are thinking about people with money
    And yet they give you- the local- a great deal on a season's pass. So STFU
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    just thought that needed to be said again

but people still are cool, they still know each other, and they still make it work no one that falls into that group is out there advertising it anymore, you go about your business living your life while dipshits show up season after season, weekend after weekend, and month after month living that fantasy lifestyle that some ski magazine promotes

back to the topic at hand, vail does suck in some ways its great in other ways, people will loose their jobs, quit, etc. they'll pump a ton of money into the resort, but you have to understand they are catering to the weekend skier, holiday skier, the person who reads ski magazines in the living room, the local who skis close to 100 days a year is not anyone they care about, they are thinking about people with money
    See I don't buy that. Sure, they care a lot about people who come in and stay for week and bring their money. You should too. Without them you wouldn't have a ski town to live in. The locals can't keep a mountain open, simply aren't enough people to fund it. The old PCMR cared a lot about them too. And I think Vail does have some love for the locals (or at least your money). Take Breck for example, they have opened a shit ton of hike to EX terrain and I'd bet 90% of the people skiing it are local/day trippers. They work their asses off to open that stuff early on big snow days. I feel loved at least when I get my sub $500 season pass and get to ski some deep and steep high alpine lines. There's a huge free parking lot that you can camp in with a free buss right to the base of the gondola (I think Breck the mountain, not Breck the town is responsible for this), back country gates get you access to some great terrain and they have an awesome local kids ski program that's reasonably affordable. They even let me use some pretty nice bathrooms. The one down stairs at the base of peak 7 is an excellent place for a morning shit.

Quote Originally Posted by IVplay View Post
    And yet they give you- the local- a great deal on a season's pass. So STFU
    They used to give a great deal on a pass. Last year when I had the opportunity to transition from my PCMR powder pass to the EPIC pass, it actually cost me more money, so I stayed with the PCMR passes. When I was in Colorado, I think a season pass was $200 and then another $100 for ten or so days at Vail. They've crept up where they are right where the resorts they are buying had priced their passes without restrictions. Yes, they are still $500 below deer valley. Yes I could buy a pass with weeks of block outs, but then what would my kids do when they are out of school. My comments weren't based on pricing, as I am not upset about that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    They used to give a great deal on a pass. Last year when I had the opportunity to transition from my PCMR powder pass to the EPIC pass, it actually cost me more money, so I stayed with the PCMR passes. When I was in Colorado, I think a season pass was $200 and then another $100 for ten or so days at Vail. They've crept up where they are right where the resorts they are buying had priced their passes without restrictions. Yes, they are still $500 below deer valley. Yes I could buy a pass with weeks of block outs, but then what would my kids do when they are out of school. My comments weren't based on pricing, as I am not upset about that at all.
    Google "Inflation". I was around for the $200 buddy pass too. But that was only for Breck, Keystone, A-basin. They didn't include VBC for a number of years and it was more than $100 for ten days. Sure, the price has doubled, but so have the amount of mountains you have access to.

For the record, A-basin is the only pass I get. Only thing that sucks is when all the others close, everyone heads there for every powder day. But I'm usually on a bike, in the bc, or on a beach by then anyway.

MPPG why are you so salty? Did vail cut your $12/hr salary?
    He's upset cause all us insecure gnarcore bros from the Wasatch Front keep makin fun of the east facing, low angle, low snow(compared to front) shitty skiing that the Wasatch Back has to offer.

$12/hr is a wage, not a salary, knumbknuts

Not like I havn't had multi-year passes at alta-bird, and can appreciate it for what it is; just that I prefer to ski thousands of feet of completely untouched powder with the ability to utilize chairs to save me energy and maximize my vert....Nothing feels better; Certainly not racing around getting the last of cut up crud by 11am at bird. I say To each there own, but u don't see me going to the bird thread to call u guys idiots for doing it how you enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

VR is going to put in a lot of money towards infrastructure improvements at PCMR. Any local who is bitching about that is lying to themselves.

I'm sure there were (and still are) quite a few butthurt employees who can't deal with the takeover, but they will soon have to deal, quit or be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    VR is going to put in a lot of money towards infrastructure improvements at PCMR. Any local who is bitching about that is lying to themselves.

I'm sure there were (and still are) quite a few butthurt employees who can't deal with the takeover, but they will soon have to deal, quit or be fired.
    I think we all understand that. We're just wondering how bad, busy and soulless it's going to get and if the positives will be able to outweigh the negatives.
    get paid

I think you'll be just fine. Let's face it, it's not like Park City was uncrowded and full of soul 12-24 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Not like I havn't had multi-year passes at alta-bird, and can appreciate it for what it is; just that I prefer to ski thousands of feet of completely untouched powder with the ability to utilize chairs to save me energy and maximize my vert....Nothing feels better; Certainly not racing around getting the last of cut up crud by 11am at bird. I say To each there own, but u don't see me going to the bird thread to call u guys idiots for doing it how you enjoy.
    Fkn with ya goat.
    I don't ski at the bird, 'cept maybe springtimz
    Don't worry, I have no aversion for gettin' to the goods
    FWIW, as far as I'm concerned, all the resorts around here are about the shit beyond the gates--bird included

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Shouldn't you be more concerned with the abrupt closing of the Target stores in canuckistanian towns.
    bruh I'd never be seen in a target...
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

I think we all understand that. We're just wondering how bad, busy and soulless it's going to get and if the positives will be able to outweigh the negatives.
    Soulless? lmao...

I think this is ski bum syndrome. Since Vail Corp. is the only "large" and important company that you deal with, you try and make it sound more important and big than it is. Vail is just going to put capital improvements in your resorts, I don't see how their evil. Plus, they pay you a solid 12/hr so I wouldn't be complaining given your limited skill set.
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

*they're

*still waiting on that 37$
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

your limited skill set.
    Self awareness ... who needs that?

I could have gone to park city once. I heard it sucked and turned down the trip.
    Zone Controller

Been there since 99, plenty of soul, small town feel and colorful characters till a few years ago. Now they've been pushed out due to rising cost, or loss of vibe....
    you're lucky the soul lasted that long: many mountain towns got over-run by the yuppie hoardes back in the 80s,
    sorry for your loss........
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    I could have gone to park city once. I heard it sucked and turned down the trip.
    My wife used to have conferences in Snowbird in Feb. It was awesome, she went to class, I went riding, reconvene for dinner at the Cliff lodge. They changed the conference to PC, we stopped going.

yeah, its gonna get busy and the tourons will have a lower IQ than they did before, plus every bro brah from colorado will make that EPIC trip to utah every winter cause their pass will let them

bad? whats bad I don't know, souless maybe when they move or get rid of a bunch of mid to high level managment jobs and ship them to broomfield co what VR does is no diffent that any mega corporation that rules america they all use the same playbook, low wages, over worked middle managment, and big profits for shareholders and the guys at the top, ever been in a room full of vail lawyers, there is no money held back there

I'm not no vail lover and I know lots of messed up stories about people getting hosed and the bs that goes on and the shady deals they like to do to squash the average person

vail strives to offer the highest quality product to the masses when it comes to skiing, they want to be the best

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    See I don't buy that. Sure, they care a lot about people who come in and stay for week and bring their money. You should too. Without them you wouldn't have a ski town to live in. The locals can't keep a mountain open, simply aren't enough people to fund it. The old PCMR cared a lot about them too. And I think Vail does have some love for the locals (or at least your money). Take Breck for example, they have opened a shit ton of hike to EX terrain and I'd bet 90% of the people skiing it are local/day trippers. They work their asses off to open that stuff early on big snow days. I feel loved at least when I get my sub $500 season pass and get to ski some deep and steep high alpine lines. There's a huge free parking lot that you can camp in with a free buss right to the base of the gondola (I think Breck the mountain, not Breck the town is responsible for this), back country gates get you access to some great terrain and they have an awesome local kids ski program that's reasonably affordable. They even let me use some pretty nice bathrooms. The one down stairs at the base of peak 7 is an excellent place for a morning shit.
    I agree with you, but they know the margins are really low on people who live in summit county and they are slightly better with people from the front range. I've never eaten in an on mountain restaurant in twenty years so I"m not helping them any, other than a cheap pass. Breck did do good with all the new terrain, people cried in the 8 dollar mocha javas about peak 6 expansion, wtf???? it's always the same liberal fucks in town that cry about everything then they get a few people to belive them and then they have a possie together.

How many toursits show up for three to five days and then finally near the last day take the imperial lift up, take twenty minutes to do the hike to the summit and then get so stoked on being up there, that summit is a huge draw for the average tourist, the sad yet funny part is watching them get down sometimes. The imerial lift is for toursts, I'm not going to cry about development and improvements because that is what keeps me living the good life, but sure before that lift went in I could hike 4-6 laps up there a day and get fresh snow every time. Some people think the lift is bad some think it's great, I don't really care

Soulless? lmao...

I think this is ski bum syndrome. Since Vail Corp. is the only "large" and important company that you deal with, you try and make it sound more important and big than it is. Vail is just going to put capital improvements in your resorts, I don't see how their evil. Plus, they pay you a solid 12/hr so I wouldn't be complaining given your limited skill set.
    Ever heard of ASC, intrawest? Howd they turn out? I Haven't worked for a Mtn in over 12'years, when I patrolled.

Your mom pays way better then 12hr to pop that ass
    get paid

Your mom pays way better then 12hr to pop that ass

Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    hey now, that's uncalled for!

some of the pricks in Colorado ski at other resorts.

Seriously, LOLz
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

What did Vail bring to PCMR in season 1

Regarding the original post, what earth-shattering improvements did we expect to see after Vail had only two months after assuming the property to get the place in order? The smart move would be to keep existing middle management and to operate the first season as usual.

Having given some more thought to the OP, there were some pretty obvious Epic failures that could have been fixed mid-season. The lift lines were a mess and ticket sales were ugly on the occasion that I got to stand in line with my out of town visitors. And though they did end up installing additional windows at the bottom of First Time lift, the erratic operation of the windows never appeared to be synced with need. When it was busy they were closed and vise-versa.

The Euro-style lift line is indeed frustrating, especially when there's a bunch of lift staff standing around doing nothing. The funny thing is that if mgt. puts those people to work monitoring lines, a liftie will get on the Internet and moan about the evilness of the new corporate overlords. For a company with the rep of Vail, the lines were an easily fixable issue. But they weren't fixed.

And what was with all of the garbage under Eagle lift? No one noticed that it looked like a dump all season? No one could be bothered to grab some garbage bags and clean it up? Hey Vail, I'll "adopt" the lift line next year if you can't find the personnel to keep it clean.

Next year will be very telling. Hopefully Vail is firing on all cylinders. In the meantime, I still think the new low pass price was the overriding positive in the big picture.
    Last edited by itsnowjoke; 04-27-2015 at 04:02 AM.

...and they didn't install epic mix at PCMR, so I came in just short of a million vert this season and 2 million over two years, because I skied there a handful of times. And it still sucks there.
    get paid

Regarding the original post, what earth-shattering improvements did we expect to see after Vail had only two months after assuming the property to get the place in order. The smart move would be to keep existing middle management and to operate the first season as usual.
    Quite a bit of truth there.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"