Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Sometimes a thrift store or habitat for humanity will be selling a quality leather sofa in nice condition cheap. Thomasville is a brand we bought for 100.00 & they took another 25.00 off when they lightly scuffed the corner moving it. Beware of laminated leather, it will not last long. Never could afford a full price leather sofa at retail but our 75.00 special has lasted years of daily use and abuse. Thomasville may not be the amongst the cheapest to buy but sure built to last.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    I’m looking to make an end of life leather couch purchase, but know nothing about what to look for quality wise. I’m pretty sure the most expensive piece of furniture I’ve bought was a $1,500 sectional from Costco.

Anyone have any brand suggestions that won’t make me mortgage my house?

Quote Originally Posted by L82thegate View Post
    Sometimes a thrift store or habitat for humanity will be selling a quality leather sofa in nice condition cheap. Thomasville is a brand we bought for 100.00 & they took another 25.00 off when they lightly scuffed the corner moving it. Beware of laminated leather, it will not last long. Never could afford a full price leather sofa at retail but our 75.00 special has lasted years of daily use and abuse. Thomasville may not be the amongst the cheapest to buy but sure built to last.
    I second that on laminated (bonded) leather. Some kind of cloth with leather particles glued to it. We bought a chair made from it from Naturewood and the "leather" seat wore completely through. Unfortunately, it seems like this stuff can be sold as "leather" without any indication that it's bonded leather.
    Look for full grain or top grain leather. Split grain is not as nice but will also last well.

I’m looking to make an end of life leather couch purchase, but know nothing about what to look for quality wise. I’m pretty sure the most expensive piece of furniture I’ve bought was a $1,500 sectional from Costco.

A decent new leather sofa will probably run you at least $2500-3000. American Leather is a good brand. I’ve got one, really well made and it’s lasted quite a while. Pro tip, don’t put it where it gets a lot of sun.
    https://www.americanleather.com/

^ American Leather also makes great sleeper sofas.

I bought a full-grain sofa from La-Z-Boy during a sale probably 10 years ago. I think it was $800 or $900. It's been through 3 moves and is still in pretty good shape. Who knows if it was made in-house or anything like it exists now. The furniture market seems fickle. Lots of marketing and rebranding.

Maybe an RS6 avant?

Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Maybe an RS6 avant?
    At that price wouldn’t I just be better off with the AMG E-class wagon?

I don't think I'm gonna give it to you though.

Stop what you are doing and read up on the differences between bonded, top grain, and full grain leather. You definitely do not want the first, maybe want the middle, but definitely want the last, if you can afford it.

It's going to cost you. Trust me, don't do Bob's.

Ha. Always wondered about Bob's, never heard a personal review before though.

We bought a nice Italian leather sectional like 25 years ago for $4k. That sectional easily lasted 20 years. The replacement sectional is a really durable fabric, BUT it still cost $4k and I an assure you it will look like shit in another 5 years, so drop the money for a good quality leather coach is what I will do next time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

For my brother, it was his Sig Sauer. It was the last thing he owned.

If you are saying what I think you are saying, I’m sorry to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    If you are saying what I think you are saying, I’m sorry to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah, it’s been a couple years. I guess I can joke about it now.

It’s the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread. It really was an end of life purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Yeah, it’s been a couple years. I guess I can joke about it now.

It’s the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread. It really was an end of life purchase.
    Sorry. That's rough.

Well if we are talkin "End of Life Purchases" I hope I still have a round of hookers and blow left in me at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I found a 3 quart revere ware 1801 pot for $8.00 at the thrift store. It should be the last 3 quart pot I will need.

5 years in, the thread turns a bit grim. Sorry about your brother billy.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    I found a 3 quart revere ware 1801 pot for $8.00 at the thrift store. It should be the last 3 quart pot I will need.
    Now I’m not sure if it’ll last a lifetime of cooking in your household or If you are going to stick your head in it when it’s full of boiling water.

just cookin'

Ok, great.

Sterilizing the instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Well if we are talkin "End of Life Purchases" I hope I still have a round of hookers and blow left in me at the end.
    John Entwhistle nods from R&R heaven.