Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Asbestos popcorn ceiling removal tools
    FIFY.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    The handle will usually be fine but the innards get fuckedup so you can take the head apart & replace all the parts. I got a kit from sears for a very rusty craftsman 3/8drive ratchet that had spent many years under the rad of an old truck ... no questions asked
    Replaced my 1/2 twice and my 3/8 once. Though with 3/8 now have two as store was closing so had no parts so just gave me a new one. Next store had the parts , so now I have two.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Bump.

Swiss bones skate bearings... I’ve had them on my board since 2007, still spin smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by G View Post
    I suspect this ought to last me the rest of my life. I'll probably end up leaving it to my kids in the will.

http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Natura.../dp/B005MR3IVO
    An oldie but a goodie. The reviews are still pretty funny 4-5 years later. Can't believe it's apparently still for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    An oldie but a goodie. The reviews are still pretty funny 4-5 years later. Can't believe it's apparently still for sale.
    It comes in gallon containers that last all week!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

This lady had the same idea as this thread about the same time this thread started (maybe she reads TGR!): https://buymeonce.com

Stuff you'll never have to buy again. Haven't really looked at the site, I just read about it a few minutes ago, so I can't vouch for the stuff, but I like the idea.

Duluth Pack looks pretty cool, I hadn't heard of them. Lifetime guarantee and free repairs.

One of my friends is all about this stuff:
    https://www.barbour.com/us/mens/waxed-jackets

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BArbour.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	256354

He said the jackets last forever...he couldn't explain why then, he has two.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Duluth Pack looks pretty cool
    can confirm

dad still has his two from 70's n 80's - in basically same shape since broken in

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post

Maybe he’s a Buddhist?

^^^After a few years, waxed cotton starts to stink so bad it can't even hang in the mud room much less get worn. This is the secret to its longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Bump.

Swiss bones skate bearings... I’ve had them on my board since 2007, still spin smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I'm still riding some bearings that were made in the late 1970s. granted, not all day every day and not dropping 12 sets. But, with light use and keeping them lubed a set of well made skate bearings can definitely last a lifetime.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Yrs ago when I was first getting into mountaineering I got a how-to book from some Brit author. He opined that while the newfangled invention of goretex was interesting, it didn’t measure up to waxed cotton.

The local gearhead shops in Seattle had none. This was in the late 80s. I feel like I’ve missed out here.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I used to sell luggage and packs and other stuff from top brands like Tumi and Hartmann. After ten years of retail management including in house repairs, warranty work, and airline claims... and another 20 years out making high involvement purchase decisions and product use I can say one thing for certain.. NEVER buy anything just because it comes with a "lifetime guarantee" or even no questions asked "unconditional lifetime guarantee" or whatever.. A warranty or guarantee is only good until the next bankruptcy, merger, acquisition, restructuring ect... There have even been situations where a company putting out total crap will stamp a lifetime guarantee on the garbage knowing full well that they are about to liquidate and exit the business... just to bring in one more jolt of revenues before cashing out.

Buy what you know will LIKE for a LONG TIME and take good care of it... with the expectation that some repairs might be needed over time. If it is a high use product, nothing lasts forever, or very high use the best might only last 5 years tops before simply wearing out. But take good care of your stuff and it will take good care of you.

OK this is the oldest thing I own that I still use. LL Bean River Driver's shirt. the one in question is a light blue vs. this one, otherwise identical down to the LLBean patch inside. Got it for Xmas 1987 and it's going strong. gotta high wool content and is great for layering.

the cooler dates to 2000 or 2001, and is also going strong. paid i beleive $12. for it at costco but it's basically just a plastic cube.

Name:  river drivers.jpeg
Views: 589
Size:  66.7 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	256358  
    "Can't you see..."

I think about this thread now and again. I thought I had more things that would stand the test of time, but for example, I barely wear my TAG anymore, even though it will last forever. My restaurant grade pans I bought are ancient as well, but I like our new Le Creusets better. The new hiking boot technology is pretty fucking cool. Still:
    - Sabatier Carbon steel knives. Mine are 35 years old and are probably sharper than when I bought them.
    - My 25? year old Oakley M-frame. Just a year ago Oakley stopped making the replacement lense, but Revant makes one. The one piece, no hinge design is why it works.
    - Kreitler rollers. We've used them every day for the last 27 years.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I used to sell luggage and packs and other stuff from top brands like Tumi and Hartmann. After ten years of retail management including in house repairs, warranty work, and airline claims... and another 20 years out making high involvement purchase decisions and product use I can say one thing for certain.. NEVER buy anything just because it comes with a "lifetime guarantee" or even no questions asked "unconditional lifetime guarantee" or whatever.. A warranty or guarantee is only good until the next bankruptcy, merger, acquisition, restructuring ect... There have even been situations where a company putting out total crap will stamp a lifetime guarantee on the garbage knowing full well that they are about to liquidate and exit the business... just to bring in one more jolt of revenues before cashing out.

Buy what you know will LIKE for a LONG TIME and take good care of it... with the expectation that some repairs might be needed over time. If it is a high use product, nothing lasts forever, or very high use the best might only last 5 years tops before simply wearing out. But take good care of your stuff and it will take good care of you.
    Heh. We are facing the same calculus regarding buying a mattress from Sears. The got the one we want to try next. Reasonable price. However will they still be around in 90 days when we decide we don't like it and want to return it? Fuck if I know. Our store isn't on any of the published lists. So far. Whole operation could get killed off anytime now.

End-Of-Life Purchases

A gun? Only needs to work once to last a lifetime..

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    One of my friends is all about this stuff:
    https://www.barbour.com/us/mens/waxed-jackets

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BArbour.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	256354

My wife wore one the shreds in about 5 years. Good product, but not indestructible.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    ...Buy what you know will LIKE for a LONG TIME and take good care of it... with the expectation that some repairs might be needed over time. If it is a high use product, nothing lasts forever, or very high use the best might only last 5 years tops before simply wearing out. But take good care of your stuff and it will take good care of you.
    unless you have kids. no matter how well you take care of it and how well it lasted the last 30 years, it will be destroyed instantly upon them setting their eyes on it.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    My wife wore one the shreds in about 5 years. Good product, but not indestructible.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app
    But are they washable/deoderizable? I have one I got that my dad used to wear but has what I just called closet-funk. Enough to not wear, but I would like to.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Sounds like your lobotomy has held up just as long then too!

Osprey packs.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    You're insane.

And you should try some TruTrainers.

My last (in both senses) roof was 30 years rated. No reason I could see for the 40.

Just purchased some Schnee's boots. As a middle age guy, I expect them to last my active lifetime.