Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Blizzard Bodacious 15/16

Blizzard Bodacious was surely recognized as a versatile legit big mountain weapon. Though, maybe because of the burly construction and funky lengths no many folks were seen on it. Now the Bodacious has been “spured” and became available in new lengths. This ski deserves for sure its own thread. For those interested in it there are of course many questions arising which need to be clarified. For me personally, I liked very much the old Cochise on anything hard and disliked it in powder. I love the Spur in anything soft. It became almost my daily driver at the end of the season as the snow conditions got better in the Alps.
    My first question would be how fits the Bodacious between the new Cochise and the Spur? I can imagine that the quiver Cochise-Spur can be considered as the more powder oriented alternative to the pairing Bonafide-Bodacious. But Bodacious-Spur? Does it make sense?
    What about this playful and extremely well balanced feeling of the 189 cm Spur on one side and its stable and confidence inspiring quality on the other side? Does the Bodacious feel similar in 193 cm?
    So folks, let’s begin…

Blizzard Bodacious 15/16

All I know is that I want the old Bodacious in a 188-191 and 112-115mm underfoot. Cochise could shrink to 102-105ish. Spur could be dropped down to 120. Much better fat ski lineup, imo. The Cochise still isn't a great powder ski - the rocker profile just isn't quite there and the width is a little narrow. They need a daily driver charger construction thats also a good powder ski. They have the playful side already covered with the Gunsmoke/etc. Making the Bodacious more playful was not the right call, in my mind.

I think they made the old Bodacious too wide for its construction for it to be that popular of a ski. It was too powder focused for a charger construction. They 'fixed' the problem by going in the wrong direction.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 04-16-2015 at 06:54 AM.

I agree.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    All I know is that I want the old Bodacious in a 188-191 and 112-115mm underfoot. Cochise could shrink to 102-105ish. Spur could be dropped down to 120. Much better fat ski lineup, imo. The Cochise still isn't a great powder ski - the rocker profile just isn't quite there and the width is a little narrow. They need a daily driver charger construction thats also a good powder ski. They have the playful side already covered with the Gunsmoke/etc. Making the Bodacious more playful was not the right call, in my mind.

I think they made the old Bodacious too wide for its construction for it to be that popular of a ski. It was too powder focused for a charger construction. They 'fixed' the problem by going in the wrong direction.
    Then the bodacious overlaps with the gunsmoke. The cochise is perfect as is, its not meant to be a powder ski, and it does fine up to a point and at that point your reaching for something fatter. You know, something around 118 to 120.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Full disclosure: I haven't skied the Spur.

I own the 193 15/16 Bodacious as 192 15/16 Cochise. The two work really well together IMO. I have about 10 days on each, across a variety of conditions. I skied the old Cochise but never owned a pair and spent a considerable amount of time on a 196 Bodacious (first year, 2012, and 2015 year models)

The new cochise handles powder (up to 18in) just fine. New tip shape/construction/whatever helps the tip float to the top. I have not experienced any tip dive on it. Its is a very dominant ski for resort days where there is under 12in of new snow or enough people that it will all get tracked out and you need to be able to transition to firm snow or ski fast through bumped out shit. The 15/16 Cochise is IMO, the most versatile 'agressive' ski out there right now. It ranks up there with the Dynastar Legend 105, and ON3P Vicik. It is a ski that I would feel confident and be happy to be on in any conditions in any terrain. This is a bodacious thread but I think it is important to mention this shit as I explain the bodacious and how I feel it fits in with not only the Blizzard line, but also other skis out there for folks looking to add it to their quiver.

The old bodacious was a wide all mountain ski. The 15/16 Bodacious is an aggressive powder ski. It looses the two+ sheets of metal, gets a tapered tip and tail profile and some carbon in the tip and tail to keep things damp while reducing swing weight, or something along those lines. What you get is a ski that is still on the upper tier with regards to stiffness, and a lighter but still damp tip and tail.

Overall you are left with a lighter weight damp ski that still prefers to go fast and stick to the fall line in big open turns. However, where it is most different is in its ability to break loose from the turn, slash in tight spots, make hop turns in tight spots, and float at lower speeds. While skiing the bodacious it has a very definitive smooth glassy feel to it. You can tell that it is best suited for long open turns down the fall line, that the ski really 'wants' to run, and would be pretty pissed off if you tried to do some lame medowskipper squiggles down a pristine face. It is still in its hart a very aggressive ski. It plays much better in dry snow than wet snow.
    What does the new design give up? Stability? Yes a little, it gives up a bit of the previous ski's ability to punch through absolutely anything at Mach whatever. It doesn't give up much though, and makes up for it in being way more fun in powder. I am more than confident pointing it out through the chopped up and skied out lower sections of a zone. It can give up a bit of its edge grip, depending on the tune. I have mine currently tuned to 1.5/2 with detuned rocker sections and dull tapered areas. It had noticeably more edge grip at 1/2, but I prefer the looser characteristics in this ski with 1.5/2. It is still plenty stable, and grips when I need it too.

My final take on the Bodacious: It is an Aggressive powder ski. I would use it as a quiver ski, and think it does a great job of complimenting the 15/16 Cochise or similar daily drivers as the ski you bring out on powder days. If you are looking for a wider daily driver I would go with the 191/189 Billy Goat, which transitions through chopped a little more smoothly. I would also go with the Billy Goat if you often find your self in tight trees.

In conclusion, is the new Bodacious daily driver material? I would not want to ski it every day. It is however an excellent resort powder ski for anyone who wants to run with the fall line, and have stability to take speed through the cut up shit. If you liked the super7 you probably won't like this. If you think the super 7 is dumb, take a look at the Bodacious.

EDIT: The 2015/16 Cochise and Bodacious are pretty sensitive to their tune. Don't just mount these skis out of the wrapper and go ski. I am currently running 1/2 on the Cochise, detuning from the rocker points out, and completely dull from about 3in in of the taper points. The taper is completely dull. If you try and ski a 192 Cochise right out of the wrapper, you had better bring your A-game, the ski bites and locks into a turn like nothing else this wide.
    The bodacious is currently at 1.5/2 with similar detaining, albit the detuning and dulling comes deeper into the ski given the more aggressive rocker and taper profile.
    Last edited by XavierD; 04-16-2015 at 01:29 PM.

Blizzard Bodacious 15/16

First of all, I'll say that I'm so glad Blizzard has moved onto 4000 bases - I can finally look at them seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Then the bodacious overlaps with the gunsmoke.
    There is no overlap. The Bodacious was (is?) a hard charging directional ski, the Gunsmoke is totally different. That's like saying an S7 overlaps with a Legend Pro 115. By taking the metal out of it and making it more easy going - NOW it starts to overlap with the Gunsmoke (or Spur).

The cochise is perfect as is, its not meant to be a powder ski, and it does fine up to a point and at that point your reaching for something fatter. You know, something around 118 to 120.
    If it's not meant to be a powder ski, Blizzard is missing the following ski from their lineup:

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD
    The new cochise handles powder (up to 18in) just fine. New tip shape/construction/whatever helps the tip float to the top. I have not experienced any tip dive on it. Its is a very dominant ski for resort days where there is under 12in of new snow or enough people that it will all get tracked out and you need to be able to transition to firm snow or ski fast through bumped out shit.
    High praise from you saying it doesn't tip dive. How deep of snow have you had it in - I assume the 18in you reference? Does it get hung up when entering turns, like narrower skis tend to do in deeper powder?

I've only skied the old Cochise. Curious to try the new one and how it fairs in this kind of environment - thoughts on using it in 8-12" of windbuffed powder, which tends to ski different than something like, say, Steven's Pass trees?

The old bodacious was a wide all mountain ski. The 15/16 Bodacious is an aggressive powder ski. It looses the two+ sheets of metal, gets a tapered tip and tail profile and some carbon in the tip and tail to keep things damp while reducing swing weight, or something along those lines. What you get is a ski that is still on the upper tier with regards to stiffness, and a lighter but still damp tip and tail.
    .... snip ....
    In conclusion, is the new Bodacious daily driver material? I would not want to ski it every day. It is however an excellent resort powder ski for anyone who wants to run with the fall line, and have stability to take speed through the cut up shit.
    Yeah, I just see a TON of overlap here with the Spur. Curious to hear your thoughts on the differences when you get the chance to ski one.

If you are looking for a wider daily driver I would go with the 191/189 Billy Goat, which transitions through chopped a little more smoothly.
    Would you say that the Cochise and the Billygoats are equals here?
    (obviously the Billygoat will perform better in deeper uncut snow, and be quicker in the trees, while the Cochise will rip hardpack a lot better)
    Last edited by Lindahl; 04-17-2015 at 06:40 AM.

Hey Xavier, thanks for the comprehensive description of your thoughts about the Bodacious. It sounds like the Spur and the Bodacious were pretty similar, though. How is the camber profile on the Bodacious? Also long gradual tip rocker-flat-minimal tail rocker like the Spur?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    First of all, I'll say that I'm so glad Blizzard has moved onto 4000 bases - I can finally look at them seriously.
    Distinctly tougher than before. not yet at the ON3P rock proof standard yet, but as good as anything else.

There is no overlap. The Bodacious was (is?) a hard charging directional ski, the Gunsmoke is totally different.
    Agreed, both are vary capable skis, but feel different.

High praise from you saying it doesn't tip dive. How deep of snow have you had it in - I assume the 18in you reference? Does it get hung up when entering turns, like narrower skis tend to do in deeper powder?

I've only skied the old Cochise. Curious to try the new one and how it fairs in this kind of environment - thoughts on using it in 8-12" of windbuffed powder, which tends to ski different than something like, say, Steven's Pass trees?
    Yes, up to 18in or so of snow. Maybe more. Smooth in and out of the turn. You can feel the Cochise's tip rise up before the transition to the new turn. Only time I got caught up was when getting over in a turn and dragging my boot in the chopped up snow (hips to snow). 8-12" of wind buff will make this ski stand out over others. It is very smooth punching through any sort of crust or layer. My days on the Cochise have been at Whistler and Crystal. I have not yet skied it at Stevens. I would not pick the 192 as a Steven Pass friendly ski; need to try the 185.

Yeah, I just see a TON of overlap here with the Spur. Curious to hear your thoughts on the differences when you get the chance to ski one.
    I don't see myself owning both, maybe, but unlikely. I expect the Bodacious will be friendlier on my knees in firmer conditions as they (my knees) wear out. 125mm remains a big ski to move around. I think to understand how Blizzard sees these skis working together it is important to look at the sizes they come in. Bodacious at 193 and 185. Spur in the middle @ 189. I would say if you ski at an area where either low (human) traffic or varied terrain allow you to access fresh snow all day - look towards the spur as your powder ski. If you ski at an area where high traffic and either invitingly open or restrictively tight terrain limits the fresh snow, and requires you to maneuver through skied out shit regularly, look to the Bodacious (in the appropriate size). There are also several people who do not want to break that 120mm mark. Before Blizzard did not really have an option for them since the Bodacious was such a demanding ski (not really, but it looked that way) and didn't float as well as other options out there (Squad, Billy Goat, Automatic). The new Bodacious is more competitive in that arena without compromising too much on its ability to crush through terrain.
    I am sure wassatchback will be along with a more accurate and coherent description.

Would you say that the Cochise and the Billygoats are equals [in transitioning through chop smoothly]
    (obviously the Billygoat will perform better in deeper uncut snow, and be quicker in the trees, while the Cochise will rip hardpack a lot better)
    [/QUOTE]
    They are similar, edge to the Cochise.
    I agree 100% with the second part (BG in deep and trees, Cochise on hardpack)
    In short, the Cochise still has 2 sheets of metal, the BG does not. It is more stable through unexpected 'bumps,' especially when bases flat. The Billy Goat is close in dampness. Where I think the BG gets the edge is while on edge in deeper 3-D snow where you have multiple and variable layers and densities. There is really no competing with the RES design in allowing you to ski through this with out having your tips deflected in unexpected directions. This is also the place where the BG wins over the Bodacious. For seconds or thirds in higher moisture content snow, I would take a Billy Goat over the Bodacious. If I had to pick between owning a Bodacious and a Billy Goat, it would be the Billy Goat, and it would sit next to a 15/16 Cochise in my quiver. A 189 Billy Goat and a 192 Cochise would be my pick for a two ski PNW resort quiver. I might choose differently if I skied someplace with lower moisture content snow like UT or WY.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Hey Xavier, thanks for the comprehensive description of your thoughts about the Bodacious. It sounds like the Spur and the Bodacious were pretty similar, though. How is the camber profile on the Bodacious? Also long gradual tip rocker-flat-minimal tail rocker like the Spur?
    Its flat under foot with spur like rocker. Albit maybe less tail rocker? I'll post rocker/camber profile photos tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Distinctly tougher than before. not yet at the ON3P rock proof standard yet, but as good as anything else.
    Is that probably more to do with base depth than anything? (1.2mm vs 1.8mm)

Where I think the BG gets the edge is while on edge in deeper 3-D snow where you have multiple and variable layers and densities. There is really no competing with the RES design in allowing you to ski through this with out having your tips deflected in unexpected directions.
    Makes sense. Having the wide part of the ski closer to your foot allows the ski to be pushed around less (stiffer part of the ski and you have more levered force/mass to keep it from deflecting). Downside is effective edge length when the ski is bent and on edge, and when running based flat. Tradeoffs will be tradeoffs.

If you return to WA for this weekend, all three are in my closet mounted for what happens to be your BSL...
    Same should be true if you show up next Christmas; hopefully we will even have snow.

It'll have to be next season. Thanks for the offer.

Photos:
    Tip rocker

Tail Rocker

Next to profile

Wow, lots more tip rise on the new Cochise (at least from what I remember). No wonder its a much better powder ski.

Blizzard should definitively make the Bodacious 115-116 waist and 189-190 cm length. It would be a serious contender for the best ski on the market for us folks who like the fall line approach to the mountain, IMO. The current dimension are kind of in between an every day big mountain and a dedicated soft snow/powder directional charger.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    an every day big mountain
    2016 Cochise (solves float issue of previous models)
    a dedicated soft snow/powder directional charger.
    2016 Bodacious

If you want a wider than 108mm platform look at the ON3P Wrenegade (113mm), Faction 13, or Billy Goat (116mm) (186cm ON3P measures similar to 189cm Blizzard)

Thanks Xavier. I'll give Cochise mostlikely a try next season as variable condition charger. Could be also good for the White Thrill race in St. Anton/Arlberg. I skiied it this year with the 187 cm Brahma but was not happy at all with the stability at the upper speed spectrum. At at least 5 cm longer the Brahma would work much better (thank you Blister guys for your Brahma review shit fuck!!). The race it's basically going straight over soft mank, moguls and all kind of shitty snow left over after 4 pm in a ski resort. Cochise should be good at it.

For the interested, here the link to the Blizzard Tecnica catalogue 15/16 in Polish. The numbers can be read pretty well:

http://issuu.com/roshi-pl/docs/bt1516-web

Looking at the numbers, the tip and tail on the Bodacious got smaller with all the taper.
    No longer stuck.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    I'm definitely a Blizzard fan... Current Blizz quiver:

15/16 Spur
    14/15 Bodacious
    11/12 Cochese
    14/15 Bonafide

Initially I was stoked on the idea of a non-metal Bodacious, but in an effort to have some differentiation between the Spur and Bodacious, I opted to pick up a pair of the 14/15, with metal. I may wind up regretting it, since the new Bodacious sounds bitchin', but I definitely felt there would be too much overlap with the Spur. I'd agree that the sizing could be different... I'd love a 189/191 Bodacious, but then again, we can't have it all.

just for comparison, as I'm a Völkl Katana whore as well, the link to the new catalogue in Italian

http://asp.webpublication.it/v2/inde...d=168/236/1834

They really need to bring back the regular Katana.
    No longer stuck.

As much as I love the Katana, it needs to be less washy on hardpack. It's annoying as fuck on runouts, cat tracks and while skating. If it had a flat patch about 1/3rd to 1/2 ski length, it'd be perfect. That's what I like about the Bodacious. Except, it's too wide for firm snow. A Cochise with the Bodacious rocker profile would fit the bill. Somewhere around 110 is the perfect width for a resort one-ski quiver.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 04-21-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Bumping to see if theres any more insight on the new Bodacious. Checked them out in the shop and they're great looking skis.

Currently on original 191 BG prototypes from around 2010. Great ski almost everywhere but they do lack in float in fresh deep conditions. I have a message in to ON3P to see how the protos differed from production but I believe proto tips were stiffer and of course lack the RES that the newer generations have.

Currently debating between 193 Bodacious and 189 Billygoat. Key differences as I see it:
    - More refined tip with RES on the Billygoat, less likely to catch in chopped/mixed conditions
    - Longer running length on the Bodacious making it less pivotable in tighter conditions than Billygoat
    - BG slightly more pintail, possibly better float?

Both skis look light standouts in this class of wide soft snow biased charging yet versatile ski. Am I correct in my assessments thinking the BG will suit a wider variety of terrain and have the edge in deeper conditions?

BillyG..

Petition to bring back the old katana

Blizzard Bodacious 15/16

I can't imagine the newer BGs or the Bodacious provide that much more float. Sounds like skill might be an issue if you can't get a 118mm ski with heavy rocker to float well enough in deeper snow. (the RES tip has many other benefits, but I'd wager that float is a very minor improvement). To get noticeably better float in deep snow, you'll probably have to go with something significantly wider, maybe even a powderboard or lotus 138.

What other improvements are you looking for over your older BGs?

If you want something more playful and slarvy, you'll have to look at skis that aren't as chargy.