Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Volkl Confession would have metal as a backbone, BB won't have any metal. 117 vs 118 is basically the same, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    And blizzard if you are listening, can you make a zero G in the bodacious shape?

I'd buy the shit out of it.
    Seeing this

I just spent a week on some Bod demos in 193. I liked, but was actually surprised they didn't seem quite as chargey and stable as I thought they would be. Of course they were nice in the soft stuff but after I got back on my 2013/14? On3p wrens I felt more comfortable. My intention was to get the Bod's in 193 and the Spurs, and sell the wrens to help finance that. After going back and forth, I think I'll skip this year's Bod's and grab the Spurs. I feel like they should put the metal back in the Bod's. Im sticking with the wrens for now.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    If you are looking for a "playful" and forgiving ski in the 115-120mm class, the Bodacious (any year) and the Automatic 117 are the wrong place to start. JJ 2.0 or Super 7 would be more likely to fit that description.

Thank you. And why do you think so? Ski don't need to be very playful, I have TST 174cm,they should be for playful days,between the trees and so. I need something for more pow days in culoars and steep terrains and big mountain sking. And about forgiving? I am not super rider but I think that I came for limit in TST,so I don't want ski that I will come for its limits in one next year if you understand me. I want some more "professional" staff, that I could ski in next couple of years when I will be progressing my ride. My friend has JJ and I really don't like them,but don't know why,never ride them. Maybe the shape...
    Thanks a lot.

EDIT: I like big to medium fast turns in open faces in big mountain but need ski that will work also in powder narrow culoars and have ability to make shorter turns (with more work I know) if needed...
    Last edited by m78ecd; 03-04-2016 at 02:29 AM. Reason: forget

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I think of it as a pow/day after pow. I ski at KW, where by mid day we have a lot of wide open cut pow. They ski very well in that. It might be a bit over kill for the first half of the day, but are spot on from noon until closing the next.
    Have you tried something around 110 for that though? Seems to work just as well for me.

Aren't you in CO? In thinking maybe snow density difference. I like the big platform in crud. Especially heavy crud. I like my Wren once that crud begins to get more packed, but still on the softer side. They are 112.

I skied the Bod today. 10" of super heavy mank. Did not ski many fresh lines. They skied the setting up skied up mank superbly.

I imagine there is a 110 wise ski out there I would have liked today. The Cochise perhaps. I know it is 108, but it is pretty straight and stuff from what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Aren't you in CO? In thinking maybe snow density difference. I like the big platform in crud. Especially heavy crud. I like my Wren once that crud begins to get more packed, but still on the softer side. They are 112.

I skied the Bod today. 10" of super heavy mank. Did not ski many fresh lines. They skied the setting up skied up mank superbly.

I imagine there is a 110 wise ski out there I would have liked today. The Cochise perhaps. I know it is 108, but it is pretty straight and stuff from what I hear.
    I'm guessing your in whistler? That's exactly the conditions we had yesterday.

I skied my 185 bodacious mounted -1.5. Really struggled to keep my tips up at slower speeds in the cement, skied the crud well though

Kirkwood. CA. I'm on the 196, and at 175# the tips did fine. They were a blast again today in the foot and half of not quite blower. Had two runs, then did some family ski with three 4.5 yr olds. The BB are great for that as well. They make a perfect platform when picking up kids out of the pow.

Brand New

On the topic of fatter blizzard skis, my new blizzard bonafides get here tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited

Quote Originally Posted by m78ecd View Post
    Thank you. And why do you think so?
    It's an opinion based on skiing all the skis. However, I'd strongly suggest you try them yourself before making a decision.

I lost one of my Spurs in a sluff accident. Now I have to replace it. I love the Spur on deep days but am wondering if I should go with the Bodacious 193 cm instead. As we ski mostly high alpine terrain, the Spur was sometimes cumbersome in variable conditions.
    Has anybody some insights on direct comparo Spur/Bodacious 193 cm?

After reading this entire thread I was wondering how you guys think the Bibby/Blister Pro and the Liberty Variant 113 fit in. Haven't had a chance to get on the Variant but sounds like it could be an outstanding PNW Daily driver in resorts.....and still fit in with a 15/16 Bodacious or Spur. I've got a pair of 10/11 Bibby's and they come out any time it's more than about 10' deep, fresh or tracked. Is the 15/16 Bodacious more directionally stable in deep, heavy leftovers (e.g. Stevens) than Bibby's? Only been on a Bodacious (196) for one run.

The Bodacious would not be my choice for heavy left overs at Stevens or other NW areas. It is not forgiving enough in the settled mank. It can power through it for sure, but the stiff torsional flex is very harsh on the skier. The previous Bodacious was more versatile in these conditions. Overall the new Bod is much more of a powder ski. As much as the local snowboarders would like you to believe, the heavy left overs we see up here are not exactly what anyone from Utah or CO would call powder.

If you want something more stable than your Bibby's I'd look at the new Kartel 116. The heavier bamboo core handles the craped up heavy left overs better than most. I believe the boys from Ptow will be at Stevens on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    I lost one of my Spurs in a sluff accident. Now I have to replace it. I love the Spur on deep days but am wondering if I should go with the Bodacious 193 cm instead. As we ski mostly high alpine terrain, the Spur was sometimes cumbersome in variable conditions.
    Has anybody some insights on direct comparo Spur/Bodacious 193 cm?
    I demo'd them back to back on hard and soft days at Snowbird. The Spur and Bodacious felt similar. The guys at the shop told me they're basically the same ski in different shapes. I really liked them both, but like I said above, the Bodacious didn't seem as stable at speed as I thought it should be. The Spur has a smaller turn radius (28m i think) compared to the Bod's 31m radius so it comes across the fall line a little faster when you put it on edge. The Spurs felt easier to manage in the chopped up stuff and the Bod's were more fun at speed. Of course they both killed it in deep snow. I ended up buying the Spurs mainly because I already have 191 Wrens. Otherwise I would've been perfectly happy with the Bod's. I'm 6'1" 225lbs FWIW.

My quiver now consists of the 186 Bodacious from last season with the metal still in it and without the taper, and spurs. They compliment each other really well...Just love the 186 Bodacious. It's like a damper, easier edge to edge, but still with basically no speed limit and a huge turn radius like the spur. I love them in everything up to about 6 or 8 inches and after that the spur fills in the gap of providing an unparalleled platform to rip big fast turns in deeper snow with no fear of ever sinking a tip or not having enough float. It seems the spurs are a little catchier, and a bit more cumbersome as was said if it is less pow with a crust underneath, or variable snow. Not that they don't work for that sort of thing, just no need for that much ski in 3 to 6 inches of hero snow or variable conditions when you have the 186 Bodacious on hand which takes on anything on the mountain amazingly well except for deep light pow where the spur edges it out.

Not sure how I feel about them putting in the carbon and tapering them after reading this thread... That 186 Bodacious just makes such an amazingly well rounded ski for all kinds of conditions and terrain. God I love the feel of those things on edge. I thought I'd use the spur more on average pow days, but not so after acquiring these. Still, I feel like the Spur will have a place in my life every season for many years to come, probably the best days of every season I can still rip 'em.

That said, I hope I never rip out a heel piece as been seen in other threads, because I love these skis and they have done me no wrong, I gotta grab another pair of those last year 186's with the metal while they are still around. I feel like they coulda left the Bode's as is with what the Spur accomplishes. Just makes such a great all day resort ski as most of you reading this thread probably know.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Blizzard Bodacious 15/16

Had another day on the old Bod. Spring cold pow. About 14". Again, they worked great. More and more I am enjoying that metal. They stomp landings so perfectly, regardless of snow condition. Fluff is easy. A little crust, I don't even notice as they blast right through. Ice chucks in a landing get knocked out. Even a well developed bomb hole I landed in did not stop these skis.

It was a sleeper mid week spring day, so powder was available all day. My run in to pick my son up from ski school was well tracked out. Finally, the Bod felt a little big and cumbersome. Not bad for a single run, but it was the only run of the day that left me wishing I had my Wrens instead. It still stomped nicely tho.

Just to avoid confusion should we keep this thread about the new 15/16 bodacious as stated in the title. Very different skis

Lots of love for the old 186 Bodacious here. Is there a consensus that the metal 186 Bodacious might be the better ski in comparison to the new carbon tip 193 Bodacious in terms of versatility and even stability? Did anybody went directly from 186 to 193 Bodacious and can provide some insight?

^^^ to be clear, I'm on the 196. I have not skied the new version, but I imagine it depends on what you want out of a ski. OG is more of a crud heavy snow buster, and this year's sounds more soft fresh snow specific. Blister reviews both I believe, if you don't get a side by side comparison here.

In Tahoe I much prefer a stiff powder ski, as our snow tends to be heavier. I've found softer shovels to deflected, especially once things begin getting no tracked. The OG might be overkill for most when it comes to powder. OTOH, from what I have read, this year's version might be too soft for hard charging.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Just to avoid confusion should we keep this thread about the new 15/16 bodacious as stated in the title. Very different skis
    Yeah, cause TGR never allows confusion or tread drift. That would be just too crazy and hard for simple minds to digest.

Last year's 186 Bodacious at Evo for $387. Not bad.

Great PNW crud ski with similar dimensions to the Bodacious is the Prior Overlord. But they aren't cheap new.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B View Post
    Last year's 186 Bodacious at Evo for $387. Not bad.
    Just bought a pair.

I had the OG 186 for a couple of seasons and loved them in so many ways, but let them go for various reasons. Now, I picked up a pair of undrilled 15/16 185's for next to nothing, could not resist the offer, just had to snag them. Never been on this version. I got me thinking about mount point of course. Been all over the interwebs only to come up close to empty handed regarding comparing views on for/aft mounting. Had the old ones on the line and felt fine there. Got the message about detuning

I'm 5' 10'' 185# 305 BSL. Binders will be either STH2 WTR or Axial2 WC. The skis will probably see more of mixed conditions than pure pow but I have my hopes...

So what's the word. Is there any reason to put boot center anywhere else than on the recommended line on these?

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    I had the OG 186 for a couple of seasons and loved them in so many ways, but let them go for various reasons. Now, I picked up a pair of undrilled 15/16 185's for next to nothing, could not resist the offer, just had to snag them. Never been on this version. I got me thinking about mount point of course. Been all over the interwebs only to come up close to empty handed regarding comparing views on for/aft mounting. Had the old ones on the line and felt fine there. Got the message about detuning

I'm 5' 10'' 185# 305 BSL. Binders will be either STH2 WTR or Axial2 WC. The skis will probably see more of mixed conditions than pure pow but I have my hopes...

So what's the word. Is there any reason to put boot center anywhere else than on the recommended line on these?
    Bump... Anyone tried these mounted for or aft of the line and have any insights to share? Any input is appreciated!

I skied the 193 at +1.5 and liked them there. Maybe its just me, but I've liked all versions of the larger Cochise and Bodacious at +1.5 to +2.0. The mark on those is pretty far back and with the large amount of tip rocker for me they seem to handle all conditions better with a more forward mount.

No idea on the 186