Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

STH2 VS Pivot/FKS

This has been discussed before, at least somehwhat. But now that the STH2 has been out for a while I figured I'd bring it up again. Been contemplating which bindings I will mount some new skis with, whether to stick soley with STH2 or keep the pair of pivots I picked up in a trade.

Specifically talking about pivot 18 vs sth2 16, though I think sth2 13 vs pivot 14 are similarly matched as well.

Durability wise I think the STH2 probably has a small advantage because of the pivot's half moon piece cracking issue.

Design wise, the ease of forward pressure setting on the STH2 is nice, as well as the 28mm heel travel for different boot sizes, and the rubber dampening strips. It also has a wider binding mount area, which is good for powder skis. Maybe a bit easier to click into in powder.

The toes of both bindings are pretty similar/not much difference. For the heel, the pivot will probably help keep you in the binding when you want more often.

Anyways, my real question is how do you all feel about the on the snow feeling of each? I have skied both- STH2 often, the pivot only a handful of times. Seems like the Pivot was a little more responsive and precise laterally, and i felt more connected to the skis. But I really didn't get much time on them, and it could just be a physiological thing.

Fiddle factor for clicking in, Mounting PITA, slightly heavier weight, cracking half moons and limited bsl adjustment have me ready to go back to sollys.

I don't know that I can really detect an on snow performance difference, but...slight edge to the p18. I do like the way it feels on snow.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Fiddle factor for clicking in, Mounting PITA, slightly heavier weight, cracking half moons and limited bsl adjustment have me ready to go back to sollys.

I don't know that I can really detect an on snow performance difference, but...slight edge to the p18. I do like the way it feels on snow.
    What SC said... I have/had Jesters, Pivot 18s and STHs and everything recently mounted and moving forward will be STHs... I love the feel, adjustments, less weight, solid click in and ease of putting on... I skied a steep technical run at the Bird with new snow and loss my balance a bit and my ski released what I thought was prematurely... No biggie, but trying to click back into my P18s was impossible... If there is any type of snow on the bottom of your boot you cannot click into P18s... This is not the case with STHs and you can at least get them on until you can get to a better place to deal with it...

2 more STHs ordered from BC.com thanks to Bandit...

Yeah, ease of use always takes the cake for me with STH. Never really had any pre-releases. I feel like shock absorption on STH is a little nicer too, but FKS skis a little better. Everythings close enough for me that it comes down to the ease of use factor.

I have to agree with all of the above.
    I think the Pivot feel on snow is amazing, but the STH2 is really really good and a little lighter easier to click, adjust etc.

I have STH2 on my protests (pow skis) and FKS on my Concept (daily driver) for me that's the way to go. I prefer the ease of use of the STH2 on snowy wipeouts in pow, and the on snow feel of the FKS on variable and harder snow where that's not really an issue. I think both the STH2 and FKS are > than the Jester for feel.

Finally the price difference between the STH2 and the Pivot is really significant as well... 150 bucks on backcountry right now with widebrakes??? For me thats a no-brainer

916s for life
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    916s for life
    Or at least until something cooler with more metal comes out :P
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

what about the STH2 vs. the warden?

I really like the release on the Pivots/FKS's, it's always very smooth but you stay in when you should. The STH2's seem very solid, starting with the initial step in, you know when you're locked into the binding when you step down, the release (to me) doesn't seem as smooth, but it holds you in like it should for a given DIN setting. Pivots can be a pain to adjust and the limited adjustment can be an issue for some people, STH's are easy to setup properly.

On snow I don't feel like there is much of a difference, the pivots always have skied really well. I like the shock dampening is better on the STH2's though. The main reason I use the Pivots/FKS is for the shorter mount pattern. It's minimal, but I do think it makes a small difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    916s for life
    Yup. Sledgehammers don't break.

Quote Originally Posted by tsk01 View Post
    - The main reason I use the Pivots/FKS is for the shorter mount pattern. It's minimal, but I do think it makes a small difference.
    = less swing weight.

I like the way the Looks ski a more than my STH, agreed they are a bit more fiddly. STHs have better adjustments at the toe if thats important for the type of boot yur runnin.

Looks have better colors to match my many discount outfits.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by tavis View Post
    Also interested in this comparison...

After breaking p14's three times (2 heels and one toe) over the last year my loyalty is starting to wane. I've always liked the short mounting pattern and they have the best release and retention of any binding I have owned. I've never really noticed differences in how bindings felt skiing. Pivots are definitely a pain to get into.

Just bought a pair of skis with STH14 so we'll see how they go. I've had STH with the Z toe and guardians before and wasn't very impressed with when they decided to release at times.

Quote Originally Posted by tavis View Post
    Do the toes have the same hole pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Do the toes have the same hole pattern?
    No. Rear row of screws is identical, front row is further forward (65 instead of 30 mm)

I thought I heard somewhere that the new STH2 toe has elastic travel in the ~50-mm range. Anyone know what the actual figure happens to be?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I don't understand the question.
    Last edited by XavierD; 04-17-2015 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I don't understand the question.
    Maybe this way...what is the total elastic travel of the STH2 toe?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Maybe this way...what is the total elastic travel of the STH2 toe?
    I was referring to the op's original query. Not yours. Post edited to reflect that intent.
    As for your question. The STH2 toe has more elasticity than the Look Single Pivot toe, but the Look Pivot binding has more travel when you factor in that the heel works with the toe piece.

The questions was basically: Does the Pivot binding feel more precise/responsive/higher performing on the snow?
    Possibly from having higher lateral stiffness, if it does-

It's kinda like like a Chevy guy vs a ford guy, having spent time on both I have no issues with the solly's and if I scored a deal on some sticks with em, I'd happily use them. That being said I only buy/use pivots (minus touring) because I truly trust them and love the way they feel, as a whole the most elastic travel on the market, have every bit of the bear trap strength of the sollys and honestly I feel like I get better feedback from the sticks (i.e. like there's less between me and them). Just my 2 cents, I'm sure every solly cat will jump all over this, and once again I have no issues with em, but those are the only 2 I will ever use minus touring... fuk markers, they blow
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

And for what it's worth Chevys suck too
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Once they are on I can't tell the difference between bindings. But then again, I have been skiing the Looks for 40 years.

Is there a difference in either ramp angle and/or stack height between the two bindings? I don't have numbers in front of me. If there is, isn't it more likely that this is the difference you're sensing?

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music