Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Squaw-Alpine Base to Base

If you can get off at those angle stations, we have Whitewolf.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

^^^ awesome string section.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

You can get off at them... but I don't think it includes white wolf. Still cool, though. Should relieve the KT line a bit.

The agreement between SVSH and Caldwell does not allow skiers and riders to enter White Wolf property.
    http://moonshineink.com/news/two-mountains-one-gondola
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I just don't see the point unless whitewolf is open. As a squaw and alpine skier/passholder for 20 years, I don't see how this improves my experience.

I would like to see a study on how this gondy compares to the current shuttles both economically and environmentally.

The money could be better spent elsewhere...
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Whitewolf is a pipe dream. Southern exposure and bad avy exposure. Don't see Squawlpine undertaking the expense/liability of keeping it open.

Interesting to see Eric Poulsen. I thought his family was backing the push to make OV a town.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Agreed, no additional terrain? waste of money.

Look at Alta-Bird. They abut each other, didn't even need a 4 mile gondola to connect and it still is a semi-waste. Very few people have dual tickets/passes and even when they do typically stick to one mountain.

It allows them to advertise large acreage numbers, but that is about the only benefit.

Did the peak-to-peak at whistler improve the experience for the average passholder? Or do they ride it once or twice a season?
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I agree I don't care so much about going from base to base, but I do like that you can at least have an alternative to the KT line, especially if you're just going to Headwall after that anyway.

Of course, they already have Squaw One and barely ever use it. I literally haven't ridden that chair once since 2011.

I take squaw one to headwall first thing in the morning when it's a nice sunny day. But that's it.....
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

“People will see Squaw and Alpine in a different light,” Wirth said. “From the ’60s to the ’80s, Squaw was one of the most desired ski experiences in North America, but competitors changed that. This takes us back to where we used to be. I firmly believe that with the interconnect we will be the only ski area comparable to Whistler Blackcomb. It changes the perspective of the customers.”
    N* has a gondola interconnect? Is that why it's the desired Tahoe destination? Not sure why Squaw lost its mojo, but I don't think a gondola will bring it back. My guess is N*'s wide easy runs draw the customers, and Squawlpine doesn't offer that.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Squaw one is never open. Back before the Drought squaw one to broken arrow was my favorite stuff to lap in the springtime.

I wonder how much they had to finally pay Troy for this

I take squaw one to headwall first thing in the morning when it's a nice sunny day. But that's it.....
    Or when KT isn't open because there's no snow.

Actually, nevermind, because instead of running both we just wait in a huge Funi line instead.

More importantly is the alpine meadows angle station going to allow access to the buttress? And what is this going to do for the parking situation at alpine? I wonder if it will be less cars or more

I wonder if Squaw will incorporate this into their village expansion plans. No need to worry about all the day parking we're turning into condos, people can just park at Alpine and ride the gondola over!

I imagine that alone would pay for the cost of the gondola.

Agree this doesn't add to experience, it is going to be a novelty for a few visitors. Peak to Peak at least can argue that it is a pain to ski down 4000 ft and then take multiple lifts back up 4k.

They needed to somehow add skiable terrain (even groomed intermediate terrain) between them........groomer off Southside of Sunbowl over into Alpine land somewhere. Without that, I don't see the point. Or first station could be on top of Red Dog, giving better access to that terrain, to both give good storm skiing and thin crowds at base.
    Donjoy to the World!

N* has better snowmaking and so skis better in drought years. They aren't subject to wind holds. SB has a better vibe, easier access, better BC gates, joint pass with RG and uphill travel so I don't really care one way or the other.

Just a really expensive marketing ploy so that they can claim to be the biggest ski area in the country. Really only (I assume) shaves a few minutes off taking the shuttle, which few people do. I suppose they are banking on building up the "village" and using that as the primary bed-base for both ski areas, which would make the gondola attractive as a transportation option. Don't know if it would be good or bad if it provides access to the buttress - yes, it's great terrain, but it is rarely in good condition, and as it is now you lose a lot of vert and pass by a lot of other good stuff to access it.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

I just don't see the point unless whitewolf is open. As a squaw and alpine skier/passholder for 20 years, I don't see how this improves my experience.

I would like to see a study on how this gondy compares to the current shuttles both economically and environmentally.

"Wirth also expects the interconnect to lead to a reduction in overall vehicular emissions since guests who normally ski both mountains in one day can now opt for the gondola ride instead of their car or the free shuttle. According to Wirth, around 25 percent of skiers, or one out of four, ski both mountains on any day."

I am trying to figure out if Wirth is serious when he makes up this stat. He can't really expect anyone to believe that, can he??

I doubt he would lie about that. And it's easy enough to track because they use RFID scanners. I suspect that number stems from a couple of things: (1) there actually are people who are from out of the area and haven't skied both places and want to check out Alpine (e.g. KSL's ideal market for this); (2) it seems that a lot of the race teams shuttle back and forth and their numbers will add up over time. Other factors I can't think of?

Rationale behind this as I see it:
    1. Skiable acreage numbers for marketing (a shuttle shouldn't count, and I think a lot of people discount their numbers because of the shuttle). That's a big factor. Lots of folks want to vacation at Mt. Jumbo. At least, lots of folks that KSL would like paying to stay at Squaw.
    2. No base area lodging at Alpine and planned additional base area lodging at Squaw.
    3. Planned base area lodging may/will result in a decrease in parking spots, making Alpine (and White Wolf's) parking more valuable to the combined resort. (This will fucking suck.)
    4. Novelty factor (like the Peak-to-Peak, but not as spectacular because of the different engineering involved).
    5. Uphill capacity management for KT (J's point).
    6. Mollify critics of the Village project and show that they're making on-mountain improvements (though with no terrain expansion this is a big MEH to me).
    7. Long-rumored potential project that some people have wanted for a long time (or at least that's the perception).

Related note: anybody remember JMA's rumored plan to build a gondy from Alpine to Homewood? That was interesting.

BTW, Andy's comment about the uphill capacity reduction, while technically true in terms of installed lift capacity, is quite obviously BS to folks who know how often various chairs run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    "Wirth also expects the interconnect to lead to a reduction in overall vehicular emissions since guests who normally ski both mountains in one day can now opt for the gondola ride instead of their car or the free shuttle. According to Wirth, around 25 percent of skiers, or one out of four, ski both mountains on any day."

I am trying to figure out if Wirth is serious when he makes up this stat. He can't really expect anyone to believe that, can he??

They could track it with the ticket scanners. But, yeah, I find it tough to believe.

No way in hell do 25% of skiers go to both mountains in the same day. No way. Maybe 25% of skiers have on one or two days during the entire season. I'm calling major BS on that.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I doubt he would lie about that. And it's easy enough to track because they use RFID scanners. I suspect that number stems from a couple of things: (1) there actually are people who are from out of the area and haven't skied both places and want to check out Alpine (e.g. KSL's ideal market for this); (2) it seems that a lot of the race teams shuttle back and forth and their numbers will add up over time. Other factors I can't think of?
    The sale factor. Impossible to verify b/c KSL doesn't open its books - not even to post total skier visits.

Has anyone ever skied both areas in the same day? I think I have skied both a total of one day over the past four years.

It's an impossibly stupid claim that building this gondy will "reduce" vehicle emissions, limit GHGs, and fight climate change bruh. It's gonna be like the most sustainable project ever.

Despite my kvetching, UNTIL white wolf terrain opens, I'll put this one in the hard meh category too. Access to the Buttress would be nice, but otherwise who cares (except those traveling tourists they are targeting)? I'll save my ire for the village explosion, err, expansion.

Strike that - Troy is stoked!!

There is access to the buttress. It's called your legs.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Has anyone ever skied both areas in the same day? I think I have skied both a total of one day over the past four years.
    I've done it several times over the past few years since Squaw / Alpine were on the same pass. Double dipping on fresh tracks when Alpine opens Summit first thing and the upper mountain at Squaw is closed until 11 or noon. It's pretty sweet when it works. But even so, that's like 4 or 5 times max out of maybe 100 - 125 days?