Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Towing a trailer in the snow isn't that bad, if you outfit it with the right snow tires, and bigger wheel/suspension combo. Look at snowmobile trailers, they get towed through snow all the time.

Sounds like you need a utility trailer for gear storage, not camping. Then you could throw the sailboards, bikes, whatever else into the trailer when needed, but ditch it when you don't need it.

just saw this...still pricey and could have a host of "gremlins" and expensive to fix (mercedes badge) but looks super cool otherwise. Not a super bad starting price for whatcha get.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1965851...anagon#slide-1

used outside built sprinter in UT:
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...20van&ad_cid=6
    asking "only" $45K

I bought a Promaster as well, low roof 136 wheel base so much smaller than the other poster. Mine is doing double duty as a camper/work rig/daily driver. Wanted the low roof so I'd have a roof rack that's reasonable to use. I've posted some details here:

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=39266

Was thinking used originally, but was able to buy a demo off the lot for $26k, and as others have said, not much used inventory out there. Still on my first tank of gas as I still have my truck and have been working on the van to get it set up. Width is enough to get a 6'1 long bed crosswise. After finishing the floor and ceiling I have about 5'5 of head room. Wish it was 3" taller.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    just saw this...still pricey and could have a host of "gremlins" and expensive to fix (mercedes badge) but looks super cool otherwise. Not a super bad starting price for whatcha get.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1965851...anagon#slide-1
    That price is 2wd.4wd isnt here yet,long wait list already,probably well over 50k.Check Sprinter-source for lots of info

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Spotted this the other day, granted it's in a Transit Connect so tiny compared to the full size vans, but probably the best semi-permanent RV conversion I've seen and would be easy to scale up for a full size rigs. Simple, modular & easy enough for the DIYer to build. Lots of room to build in additional storage if need i.e. Along the either side of the roof/wall corner space, maintaining the central corridor head space. Nothing is really permanently mounted in the van (stove, water, etc...) so when stealth isn't critical down by the river or the weather is nice, you're aren't forced to actually try and live in that floor space. Never really understood the conversions that have you shit, shower, sleep and cook in like 35 sq ft.... Easy enough to rip all of it out and let you use the van to go do van shit.

Life is simple. Go Explore.

Convert an old school bus.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by That was Pontus View Post
    Spotted this the other day, granted it's in a Transit Connect so tiny compared to the full size vans, but probably the best semi-permanent RV conversion I've seen and would be easy to scale up for a full size rigs. Simple, modular & easy enough for the DIYer to build. Lots of room to build in additional storage if need i.e. Along the either side of the roof/wall corner space, maintaining the central corridor head space. Nothing is really permanently mounted in the van (stove, water, etc...) so when stealth isn't critical down by the river or the weather is nice, you're aren't forced to actually try and live in that floor space. Never really understood the conversions that have you shit, shower, sleep and cook in like 35 sq ft.... Easy enough to rip all of it out and let you use the van to go do van shit.

I really like that guys setup.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I link that Transit Connect set-up as well. Questions is, when you go to a minimal set-up like that, is there really much benefit to a camper van vs. camping in a van? In other words, would a cot, a couple camp chairs, a roll-a-table and a stove provide the same functionality? I'm really starting to focus on figuring out how to insulate and heat the van. I think the space sacrifices needed to build out the van just are not worth in to me.

Depends on the van I would think. Something as small as Connect, you may be right. Just remember that all that loose stuff is right behind you, so think about making sure it can't fly around in case of an accident.

PM or post here if you have specific questions about heat and insulation, just did all that stuff to my van.

Yeah, that loose stuff would suck and it's pretty easy to build out something much simpler than that without sacrificing storage. I'm on my 5th camping vehicle over a 22-year period. My advice is to prioritize sleeping space over sink, stove and cabinetry. My simplest setups were a 1/2-ton cargo van with a futon on top of a frame under which I could store skis, packs, golf clubs, etc., and a 1976 VW Type 2 Weekender with a rear bench seat that folded out into a bed. No sink and no in stove in either of those rigs. That Ford Transit Connect would be really cramped quarters for two, fine in good weather and/or with a tarp when you're hanging outside much of the time, but it would be too small for us as a ski rig. ETA: Once you've had stand-up head room it'll become a requirement for your next camping vehicle.

Seems to me the solution is a 4WD truck w/winter-ready popup a la Big Steve with a generic lightweight toy trailer for bikes/boards for summertime adventuring. You don't need to take the bikes and boards on winter trips do ya?

I don't have a van.. just a pickup truck with a topper. But I fucked around trying to build some sort of platform and storage system and thought I had it pretty dialed.. until I was in sams club and laid down on on of these..

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/cot/prod11390115

Apparently cot technology has come a long way.. this little bastard is comfy! I get better sleep on it than in my bed. Plus it flips up into a lounge position and you can store stuff underneath. Biggest plus is easily removable to return truck back to its main use as a hauler.

Also very nice to be able to pull it out of the truck when camping either to sleep outside or just use as a lounger. But that, a water jug, rolling table, ecozoom stove.. a Mr Heater for cold weather and you are pretty dialed imo unless you want to delicate a vehicle and alot more $$ to the project

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums
    Last edited by rip; 04-16-2015 at 11:05 AM.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

I discourage rape vans. You will already be squatting. No need to draw more attention
    Rippin up the mount, and other great surfaces daily!
    Ride it , do it, live it, shred it, gnar it up, carve it ,
    comp out dude, huck it, spin it, killin it