Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Annual Physical

Yay or Nay?

I'm fascinated that accredited MDs seem to be railing against the need for annual physicals. I heard one doctor actually state that you should only go to a doctor if you have symptoms...in essence throwing the concept of 'preventative medicine' to the wind. Like how in hell are you supposed to find out about that melanoma on your upper back or some hard-to-see spot? I think for a person over 40, that is reason alone to do a simple check-up, as certain skin anomalies can be visually verified by a good doctor, that the patient might not have even known about or thought was just a benign mole.

They're evidently predicating this anti-physical 'movement' upon a study that shows neglible change in morbidity of patients that have had annual physicals versus ones that didn't. How can a reasonable, logical person use that study as a basis for belittling an important aspect of preventative medicine - the periodic check-up? I am totally surprised by this apparent lapse in professional logic.

Here's a quote from Dr. Emmanuel:

"Not having my annual physical is one small way I can help reduce health care costs -- and save myself time, worry and a worthless exam," Emmanuel wrote.

He had written a fairly controversial essay in the Atlantic on how he would be perfectly happy to die at 75. I wonder if he will have that same opinion when he is 74 and 364 days old.

Anyway, here's a link to some thinking on the concept of periodic check-ups:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...nual-physical/

But I noticed that right in the beginning they had this forewarning:

"Please note: the following refers to routine physicals and screening tests in healthy, asymptomatic adults. It does not apply to people who have been diagnosed with diseases, who have any kind of symptoms or signs, or who are at particularly high risk of certain specific diseases."

That whole paragraph is so utterly stupid that it defies belief. Flies right in the face of so many concepts and precepts of PREVENTATIVE medicine. "...does not apply to people who have been diseases or have any kind of symptoms or signs...". Duhh....you go for a periodic check-up to make sure there ARE no symptoms or signs of disease that you may be UNAWARE of...that is the PURPOSE of a periodic exam. Gaahhh....I give up!
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

ya nobody cares anymore

its the new american paradigm.

ive had two physicals in the last 3 years and gained ZERO and still have huge bump on my head
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Like how in hell are you supposed to find out about that melanoma on your upper back or some hard-to-see spot? I think for a person over 40, that is reason alone to do a simple check-up, as certain skin anomalies can be visually verified by a good doctor, that the patient might not have even known about or thought was just a benign mole.
    Go see a dermatologist once or twice a year. Problem solved.

Good chance seeing the derm doc requires a referral.

Get a mirror.And photograph any moles to compare for changes.You will have a better record than your harried doc
    And do the opposite of whatever the godfather's brother tells you to do for HIS benefit
    picador

I see articles floated like this all the time including " there's no need for 5 year colonoscopies, breast screenings are overrated etc.

I firmly believe that as government assumes more and more healthcare costs it is going to try to reduce expenditure by denying coverage for "unneeded" physicals and screenings. I have gotten a yearly physical since i was 25 and have a paperwork trail of blood work etc.

It seems to me that common sense should propel you to get checked annually.

My guess is that due to the length time required for a physical, the profitability index of annual exams far under performs visits for ED or investing in real estate.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    My guess is that due to the length time required for a physical, the profitability index of annual exams far under performs visits for ED or investing in real estate.
    I'm thinking something nefarious like that as well. The healthcare industry makes very little money on healthy individuals...so stay away from docs until you're all fucked up with disease and need every sort of procedure and expensive drug known before you pop-off and make room for other sick fucks.

The new medical ethos: Sick people are the money-train. Ignore the healthy until they too become pathogenic, then.....cash in!

ED....LOL. But true. How many Lexi does ED pay for in health industry?
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by assman View Post
    I firmly believe that as government assumes more and more healthcare costs it is going to try to reduce expenditure by denying coverage for "unneeded" physicals and screenings.
    You think this is a result of government intervention? Because private insurers are the ones with your best interests at heart?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    The healthcare industry makes very little money on healthy individuals...so stay away from docs until you're all fucked up with disease and need every sort of procedure and expensive drug known before you pop-off and make room for other sick fucks.

The new medical ethos: Sick people are the money-train. Ignore the healthy until they too become pathogenic, then.....cash in!
    The fact that sick people are a source of revenue, that the health care system is profit driven, now that's the part that is fucked up.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

+1 on physicals being a money loser in the grand scheme of things. Preventing serious illness that would be profitable to treat at a more advanced stage

From the Dr.'s perspective, I can also see growing tired of listening to people complain about how your recommendation of good diet and exercise equates to calling them fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Physicals are for pussies.

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    Get a mirror.And photograph any moles to ask TGR about
    fixed it for you

Maybe your doctor wants you to STFU and the only way he can see it happening is if you die or stop coming in for visits.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    gained ZERO and still have huge bump on my head
    ya, thanks a lot Mussolini -
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Are annual PE's necessary? No. Are routine PE's necessary? Yes. There is no absolutely (except that there are no absolutes.) If you are a forty year old male in good health, once five years or so is probably fine. If your a forty year old woman like Jer, every threeish. More frequent when you hit about 50-55, and more frequently still when you get seriously old. The point is, there is no perfect timing that applies to everybody, and it is best decided by you and your MD, not some bean counter, cube monkey in an insurance office.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I'll be there for you Bobby.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I'll be there for you Bobby.
    You sure about that?

I still call it The Jake.

Yeah man, I'm making plans, I better be around.

I love my doctor but my annual physical is the most dangerous thing I do all year. His office is way the fuck down in D.C., so I have to get up and drive like an hour or more in heavy rush hour traffic with no caffeine, nicotine or food in me. Fuck it's a wonder I make it every year. Maybe it's some kind of a test.

Eeesh. Sounds like it's actually a hazard for the doc.
    I still call it The Jake.

It's a treadmill stress testing without the treadmill . Obamacare cut backs.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

When I was 25 and first had insurance I went to the Dr. to get a general check up / physical. I was denied any further examination than my height and weight. Based on my medical records and family history they said I was probably fine. WTF?!?

A few weeks ago I saw a naturopath in Portland (Grain Integrative, awesome) for a comprehensive check up where I got a physical, blood drawn and a quick check up on lifestyle choices. After getting my blood work back I'm realizing I'm making bad decisions based on what I eat.

After seeing a naturopath for a "basic" check up I'll probably never see a white coated, S7, groomer kook again.

Well good luck with that, whatever the fuck it means.

Quote Originally Posted by the_flying_v View Post
    When I was 25 and first had insurance I went to the Dr. to get a general check up / physical. I was denied any further examination than my height and weight. Based on my medical records and family history they said I was probably fine. WTF?!?

A few weeks ago I saw a naturopath in Portland (Grain Integrative, awesome) for a comprehensive check up where I got a physical, blood drawn and a quick check up on lifestyle choices. After getting my blood work back I'm realizing I'm making bad decisions based on what I eat.

After seeing a naturopath for a "basic" check up I'll probably never see a white coated, S7, groomer kook again.
    Neil Degrass tyson:

Q: What do you call Alternative Medicine that survives double-blind laboratory tests?
    A: Regular Medicine.

Tim Minchin:
    What do you call Alternative Medicine that Works?
    Medicine.

I think the correct answer is "it depends". I'm 30 and healthy, but I have conditions that require medication and monitoring, so I see a rhuematologist once a year, and a gp once or twice. My brother is a pilot so he needs annual physicals. If you're old, a diabetic, or some other situation, you probably need annual checkups. If you're 21 and healthy, you probably don't.

But yeah, doctors are probably tired of needlessly and cheaply probing around fat stinky people.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Know any type 1 diabetics who see a ND exclusively? Bad appendix?

We've found them to be more expensive and all over the board as a far treatment. Each their own I guess

Killing it with the 4-5 year old crowd!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear