Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    IMHO, Kaenon makes the best polarized lenses and have the best frames
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I am partial to Costa. Their 580 glass is the best i have ever used.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I am partial to Costa. Their 580 glass is the best i have ever used.
    You're both wrong, of course. Smith Chromapop FTW.

Costa makes great lenses for ocean fishing
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I just went through this whole process. I ended up with Smith Guide Choice with the ChromaPop + polarized brown lenses. I also liked the Smith ChromaPop Glass lens option. Maui Jim had some nice options too, but I did not fit the frames as well. I also have a pair of Kaenon polarized which I like, but just not quite as much. Once I decided on the Smith's, I then ended up down the rabbit hole of all the lens options. I actually ordered a few different ones via REI and returned the others.

Costa makes great lenses for ocean fishing
    Yep, and fresh water fishing. Since most of my sun glass time is fishing on a boat, I am a huge Costa fan boy
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I've got a couple racks full of eye gear.. Oakleys, Raybans, Sunclouds, Bolle', Carerras. even got a couple pairs of those cheesy iSki that MS posted. Hands down the best lenses out of all those are my vintage Vuarnets. I've also got some Banana Republic I believe are rebadged Maui Jims. Maybe not but they are pretty damned good lenses too.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    But wait.....
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Which sunglasses?

I’ve owned most of the high end fishing glasses as I’m pretty mental about fishing. Costa, smith, Maui Jim etc. I now own two pairs of suncloud and can say after 1 year they have just as good of optics as the others at a fraction of the cost. That’s putting them on side by side, not sure how that works but anywhoo, and the optical clarity is on par with the big names. ESP the polarization, which I take very very seriously. The best thing is if you loose them or break them they don’t hurt the pocket book as bad. ESP since I have a pair sitting in 130’ of water on lake Pend Oreille .
    Had them in the salt for a week in Florida and was blown away how deep into the water I could see. Pointing out fish others could not see. Maybe I just also know what to look for when trying to spot fish in water.
    Just another option.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 07-25-2019 at 09:48 PM.

No other frame fits me head better than Rayban Wayfarers so i got 5 pairs on the company HCSA, I buy the Rayban sunglasses and have my Rx lenses put in them, compared to the price for just an eye glass frame you get a pretty good deal on a good quality italian made frame with the Rayban
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    No other frame fits me head better than Rayban Wayfarers so i got 5 pairs on the company HCSA, I buy the Rayban sunglasses and have my Rx lenses put in them, compared to the price for just an eye glass frame you get a pretty good deal on a good quality italian made frame with the Rayban
    Went through a couple pairs of these in the 80s. Loved them. They are little lower profile than the traditional Wayfarer (top to bottom of lens). Wayfarer Street Neat. Came in a bunch of different colors but the pearlized blue was my favorite. One of the few glasses that sat out far enough to accommodate my long lashes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    The best thing is if you loose them or break them they don’t hurt the pocket book as bad. ESP since I have a pair sitting in 130’ of water on lake Pend Oreille ..
    There's a pair of the above pictured glasses at the bottom of Lake Chelan.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I keep a pair of Sunclouds in my day hike bag. Agree, less financial pain for them to fall on a rock to damage the lens or off a cliff where I'll never find them That said, they do hold quite a bit of sentimental value. I've had them since around 1990. I keep most of my glasses on old lady leashes. Convenient to just drop them to hang around my neck when I need to change to reading glasses to do something with a map or gps or phone. That has saved many from careless doom.

Which sunglasses?

+1 for Smith Guide’s Choice. I have an Rx pair I wear all the time. Polarized and photo-chromatic so I can wear them night driving and day skiing. My next purchase will be bifocals because I can’t read shit up close with the distance Rx these have. Sucks getting old.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Any recommendations on Maui Jims? I've got a free pair coming to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    my FIL has a pair coming too since the model he sent back isnt made anymore. Their suggestion was to go try em on at a local retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I got Castles. Your taste may vary.

In a nutshell, the key factors of lenses are protection and clarity. In the past, glass was WAY better than any plastic or polymer synthetic. The gap has closed considerably, and there is the tradeoff that glass is heavier, especially when thick enough to offer protection and be shatter resistant.

Maui Jim definitely offers great clarity and low distortion in their lenses. You do get what you pay for there for sure. Same for RayBan, Oakley, and most other pairs over fifty bucks. Beyond that it boils down to preference IMHO..

Which sunglasses?

Steep n Cheap has some Revos and Vuarnets right now. $65-$100

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Went through a couple pairs of these in the 80s. Loved them. They are little lower profile than the traditional Wayfarer (top to bottom of lens). Wayfarer Street Neat. Came in a bunch of different colors but the pearlized blue was my favorite. One of the few glasses that sat out far enough to accommodate my long lashes.

There's a pair of the above pictured glasses at the bottom of Lake Chelan.
    I bought those for my wife in the 80's. She hated them. I think they're in a drawer somewhere.
    Serenggeti's are my favorite. Great lenses.

I finally lost my trusty Smith sunglasses that lasted much longer than they should have, so I dropped into REI and asked to be let into the locked cabinet. Wound up buying a pair of Zeal glasses, a brand I never heard of, for 130. Excellent lenses, comfy, look good, nice case.

$130 for nonprescription sunglasses?

go on now.

Yeah

Smith Guides Choice are worth the high dollar even without Rx. My eyes would have been way fucked from all my time in the sun without good glasses.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Which sunglasses?

Which sunglasses?

WWSCD?

Name:  IMG_2363.JPG
Views: 464
Size:  13.6 KB
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I’m liking my new Smith “Haywire” glasses, the tint actually agrees with my eyes and they are light weight
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0361.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	289572
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0362.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	289573
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”