Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Been digging this pair of Serengeti's that I bought last year. I was just about to drop $$$ on MJ's but then I saw these and grabbed them instead. Lenses have excellent clarity. The photocromatic thing is cool and barely noticeable when I have them on. They're the Parma model IIRC.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

One of the guys on our ski patrol is the national Oakley military and police rep. Was a Smith fan, but now have moved over to Oakleys. There are some new lenses coming out that are pretty good. He hooked me up on some polarized fishing glasses that aren't out yet, but do a good job.

Pricing on all decent sunglasses suck, regardless of manufacturer.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Costas 400 series, blue mirror. BC.com can have some some good deals on Costas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Been digging this pair of Serengeti's that I bought last year. I was just about to drop $$$ on MJ's but then I saw these and grabbed them instead. Lenses have excellent clarity. The photocromatic thing is cool and barely noticeable when I have them on. They're the Parma model IIRC.

Had a great pair of those back in the day when chums were in style!

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    For all day, every day.
    Anything julbo with zebra or Falcon lenses

Pair to wear while waiting for snow too soften, generally considered 1400 in most parts of the world
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/jul...colorFamily=01

Pair to ski off with -
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/jul...colorFamily=02

For smoking blunts while training for BB I 16
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/jul...colorFamily=01
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Costa 580 glass with blue mirror are the only lenses I have found that I can stand on the bow of a boat in the Keys all day without a ripping headache at night. They are as expensive as fuck, but worth every penny.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Which sunglasses?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what is the deal with MJ service?
    ----------
    I forgot the deal but they're in Peoria Illinois and they are great. They fixed 2 pair of mine, sent a new little bag, & put them in a new zippered container for relatively cheap. Call them.
    By the way Oakley has a similar plan and it's about the same.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Costa Del Mar may be an option. I've been wearing Maui Jim's for quite a while. I haven't found another pair that offer better clarity to me. I always get glass lenses as I don't care for polycarbonate. I get the bronze or brown lenses as they work the best with the stained water that I am usually on and I like the style. I have the Kahuna currently and like them.

All the blah blah about lenses and techy type shit doesn't mean much if the glasses don't fit right. Worry about fit first and then deal with the details. Oh and, yeah, what they look like is pretty meaningless too.

cocoons cuz they fit over mah glasses
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post

Yup, that may be bad, but it ain't nothing compared to a small town optometrist.

Try about 5 times as high as Lenscrafters, and having to threaten to kick them in the nuts to get your prescription out of them which is required by law.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    All the blah blah about lenses and techy type shit doesn't mean much if the glasses don't fit right. Worry about fit first and then deal with the details. Oh and, yeah, what they look like is pretty meaningless too.

Yup, this is what I ultimately decided, and knew already.

Gambled on ordering a pair of Costa, but decided to ride it out on the rest until I can get somewhere and try them on.

Thanks guys/gals!

Ocean Waves. The best polarized lenses bar none IME.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

To me, "all day, everyday" does not equal high dollar fishing glasses but to each their own. I'm too frugal to take a $150 pair of glasses and wear them at the jobsite, throw them in my pack, stuff them in my pocket or whatever else may happen to the "everyday" pair. My Salt Life fishing glasses live or my face or in a hard case, my "everydays" are a pair of Sunclouds. However you want to spend your money is your business. Whether you like it or not, your sunglasses say something about you so be aware of the vibe your throwing out i.e. white frame with blue mirrors outside the Applebees in the suburbs = tool.

Kirkland Signature

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Kaenon. Looking through their (poly) lenses is a real revelation - the only ones I've found that can compete with Smith's glass lenses. I haven't had any issues with durability.

gravitylover has a point about fit, that said, I want a lens that is super easy on the eyes, and for me that's either Smith glass or Kaenon. Never had MJ though.

Native, on sale, then send them back for a discounted replacement pair when I break them.

Costa 580 glass all day, every day

Choose your lens color, mirror, etc based on where you'll be using them most.

I wear green mirror inshore fishing and blue mirror offshore, but I spoil myself and really don't need two pairs

I have a big, empty head, and the the large or extra large frame sizes fit just fine. I have never had issues with pressure points or any of that other shit.

I wore Maui Jim's for a short period until the nose rest deteriorated. Getting them warrantied was the biggest pain in the ass. Back to Costa and haven't looked back.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    To me, "all day, everyday" does not equal high dollar fishing glasses but to each their own. I'm too frugal to take a $150 pair of glasses and wear them at the jobsite, throw them in my pack, stuff them in my pocket or whatever else may happen to the "everyday" pair. My Salt Life fishing glasses live or my face or in a hard case, my "everydays" are a pair of Sunclouds. However you want to spend your money is your business. Whether you like it or not, your sunglasses say something about you so be aware of the vibe your throwing out i.e. white frame with blue mirrors outside the Applebees in the suburbs = tool.
    Totally agree, my Costas live either in there case or on on my face only if I have a fly rod in my hand. Other than that is a cheap pair of Smiths bought off of Steep and Cheap.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Depends of what I'm doing, what I'm wearing and what's the weather... I own many pairs ( I'm very light sensitive, and also a little vain). For very bright light, my favorité lenses are the polarlynx by Vuarnet. Cat 4 polarized mineral lens with a brownish tint. It fucks colors up, but the definition and protection is unmatched, IMO. All Vuarnet mineral lenses rule, actualy. Too bad most of the frames are uninspired.
    Otherwise, for everyday use, I wear Persols a lot. Can't go wrong with a nice pair of black or tortoise Persol. The Rayban caravan is another nice, less formal option.
    Polarized Oakley Holbrook or Enduro are nice when you want a light plastic lens with great coverage without the full douchey wraparound look.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

I just never found any cheap glasses I can stand to wear all day. Have taking off and then smashed many a pair of high dollar glasses, but have learned over years and had pretty good luck the last decade.

Hardest thing now is to not run a cutting torch with them on.

150 bucks a year is less than 50 cents a day, my Copenhagen and coffee habit has that beat!

The Nikes I posted about have gone 2 years without a scratch and I abuse them. They've done better than the frames on my prescription glasses, which I only use for reading, and they don't slide down my nose, need continual adjustment, or get lost (my prescriptions are old fashioned gold wire frames which become invisible whenever I put them down.) They keep crap out of my eyes when I bike.
    While some people might think wrap arounds look douchey they keep the light out of your eyes from the side, which means when you get to my age you'll have less trouble with cataracts. Sunglasses aren't to look cool, although there's nothing wrong with that; they're to protect your eyes.
    (For extremely bright situations--spring snow, glaciers, paddling --I use Julbo glacier glasses with level 4 (5% VLT) protection--plastic lenses.)

Not to thread hijack, but I have a couple of Sunglass Hut gift cards that I don't really need, around $200 on each one I think. I'd sell them for 20% off if anyone wants them. Combine that with one of those $30-50 off deals they always have and you could get a decent deal.