Removing Sun Cure - Better Ding Repair

I used some fiberfill sun cure for 3 quarter size dings on a newer board, just so I could get back out on the water later that day.

Repairs look and feel terrible. What is the best way to remove the sun cure? What is the best kit/product for a real repair? Board is glossy, is it possible to get that gloss back after repair?

Thanks.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I'm by no means a pro and have only fixed 2 boards, but if it was a ding and indented I cut out the damaged material, filled with marine epoxy putty then glassed over the putty. Making sure to sand down the area surrounding the repair. I applied two circular fiberglass patches, one slightly larger on top of the one covering the ding. This is so that that repair can be tapered by sanding it after the repair cures. After sanding I masked off the board except for the repair area and repainted then clearcoat on top. Lots of light coats work best. If it's a crack then sand down along the crack and apply a fiberglass patch, following the same steps above.

Definitely can tell the board has been repaired, but wouldn't be able to tell from far away. Tons of youtube videos on surfboard repair that will give you a better idea than the text above. Good luck!

Use dremel to grind out SunCure.

Mix resin and Q-cell (ground foam) to fill hole. Sand down to shape. Glass and resin with laminate ing resin. After semi-cure, brush on sandig resin. Sand to finish.

If you feel a need to have a gloss finish, heat sand heat sandin resin in old microwave. Or you can is a thinner like styrene. Use fine brush to finish gloss coat.

Foam will get pulled out with the repairs.

^^^^not if you grind out the repair. You don't want to pull anything out. Small dremel grind tip will do wonders.

BTW, OP, if you have spare foam, that is much better than using Qcell (lighter). But, you need to make a hole and plug that match (which is tedious), but then you can reshape the exterior. This is great if the ding is on a rail. Use basic quick set epoxy to bind, then glass over.

+1 on JTrues glassing technique.

If the ding is small, you can use Cavacell (ground glass) instead of QCell. QCell makes a thick liquid, but it will flow. Cavecell makes a thick gel that you can shape. For either product, be sure to use catalyst, as the suncure alone will not work.

I've never used epoxy putty for plugs, but that stuff is pretty light. I've only used the grey variety. I also have known people to use that expanding foam that comes in a can. Just be sure it is not a variety that will melt your blank.

BTW, is it a polyester or epoxy board? That can make a big difference.

Ott has some good advice. With trickier repairs like on the rail near the tail, after the old suncure is cut out with dremel or box cutter, I put some packing tape or duct tape along the rail to help keep the resin in place while it dries to keep the original shape of the rail. Since resin is in liquid form when applying it, it will simply run out of the ding without the tape to hold it in place. You can easily remove the tape once the resin is semi-cure. Then sand away and apply sanding resin and then another hot batch for a top coat, minimum fine grit 220+ or a buffer and polish it up for that glossy finish.

Forgot about the buff and polish. If you want the shine, do the time. I have a pretty cool rotary air tool I can put finer and finer paper on. Wet sand if you go to 400, 600 and 1200. Finish with a buffer and polish. I have a nice water based polish I picked up at a surf/fiberglass store. Fills te pores and everything.

tiffanyroy Guest
    You can go for some natural remedies.