Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Career choices: Location vs job

I have found myself with two job offers in my hands. Money is pretty similar to start.

Offer A is in a really crappy location for the first 6 months, then moves me to a lesser version of crappy. Desert location, but good skiing a few hours away. Small company, lots of ability to move up quickly and make a difference. Overall, the location sucks, but it would probably be a much better career choice. My girlfriend likely would not go with me. Small company might be less secure during a downturn.

Offer B is in a great location. Big company. Worried about being lost in the shuffle. Probably would not move up as fast as with offer A, but still potential to advance myself. Girlfriend really wants to move here. Big company might be a bit more stable, but I might also be the new guy on a large totem pole (but not lowest) if cuts start.

Both are good offers.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Clearly your job is more important than being around the girlfriend and you want the desert job. This should be titled job versus girlfriend.

If work is your life, then pick the job you want more.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

What is the non-work life like for Job B?

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    Clearly your job is more important than being around the girlfriend and you want the desert job. This should be titled job versus girlfriend.

If work is your life, then pick the job you want more.
    It does read that way with a bit of ego (wanting to be a stand out making a difference NTTIAWWT) on the side plus skiing. GF seems the least important part of the equation which might tell you something.

Whatever is more important to you will sway your decision...

does either location offer legal greens? how hot is the girl? can she cook well?

Where are both jobs? What do you consider crappy and what is a "lesser version of crappy?"

Weren't you recently about to get laid off? How would you weigh the feeling of being almost/about etc. to be laid off with joining a smaller company that "might be less secure during a downturn?"

And how into the GF? Long distance is tough. Post naked pics of GF to be given the correct decision.

Does the GF really play into the equation? In other words, are you gonna marry her? Is it that she won't go to the crappy crappy short term place, but will go to the less but still crappy desert place?

Will she not move to the crappy place because her career isn't there? This is probably something to address because 10 years and 3 kids down the road, when you get offered your dream job and she won't move, or she gets offered her dream job... how's it gonna be? You come off as a pretty traditional guy...

I honestly think you want the small company and you should take it. You wouldn't even be considering it, no girl and crappy location, if it wasn't really, really appealing in other ways..

Marry her and tell her to start packing. You can figure out the where while she's at it. What I did.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

To put it all in perspective: you currently live in Butte.

So even Aiken SC and Lewiston ID are major upgrades.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Is Lewiston idaho the crappy? farmer you'll love lewiston. It's conservative, farmers, milltown, etc but the Palouse is lovely. It's not too far from KQ, either.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Is Lewiston idaho the crappy? farmer you'll love lewiston. It's conservative, farmers, milltown, etc but the Palouse is lovely. It's not too far from KQ, either.
    Front range CO or in Nevada within striking distance of Tahoe or Mammoth or SLC resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    What is the non-work life like for Job B?

It does read that way with a bit of ego (wanting to be a stand out making a difference NTTIAWWT) on the side plus skiing. GF seems the least important part of the equation which might tell you something.
    Non-work life for B is excellent. Great skiing, hunting, fishing, etc in the immediate vicinity (guess I missed that part in the OP)
    In my current job I've gotten used to having a big influence over what takes place. I'm sure you can understand it would be tough to give that up.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Where are both jobs? What do you consider crappy and what is a "lesser version of crappy?"

Weren't you recently about to get laid off? How would you weigh the feeling of being almost/about etc. to be laid off with joining a smaller company that "might be less secure during a downturn?"
    A starts in death valley, moves to northern NV. B is outside of Denver.

I ended up being one of the few who was able to stick around. I'm not going to ride this dead horse much longer though.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Does the GF really play into the equation? In other words, are you gonna marry her? Is it that she won't go to the crappy crappy short term place, but will go to the less but still crappy desert place?

Will she not move to the crappy place because her career isn't there? This is probably something to address because 10 years and 3 kids down the road, when you get offered your dream job and she won't move, or she gets offered her dream job... how's it gonna be? You come off as a pretty traditional guy...

I honestly think you want the small company and you should take it. You wouldn't even be considering it, no girl and crappy location, if it wasn't really, really appealing in other ways..
    Not sure yet. We've been dating for under a year, but this one sure seems different.

She would move to the final location for job A, and shouldn't have too tough of a time finding work. 6 months of long distance in the mean time will be rough...
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    She would move to the final location for job A, and shouldn't have too tough of a time finding work. 6 months of long distance in the mean time will be rough...
    6 months? That's easy if it's for real. Think about the advice in some other threads regarding commuting, traffic nightmares, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    To put it all in perspective: you currently live in Butte.
    No. No I don't.

Go back to you day job of filing frivolous lawsuits to keep people out of work while padding the pockets of you and your cronies.

Pm mcposer. I think he worked at one of the mines in nv for a bit. Splat might have some good advice too

Just make sure you and the girl evaluate what you have and what you need/want community wise. Lots of people would move to Moses hell to work at REC or SGL.. great jobs, great pay, low cost of living, really not that far from good outdoor recreation...

Wives couldn't stand it there and they didn't last year...

NW NV as in Winnemucca or Elko..?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Pm mcposer. I think he worked at one of the mines in nv for a bit. Splat might have some good advice too
    He's still in Irian Jaya AFAIK. Now that takes commitment.

Need pics of the GF and the double wide to render appropriate judgment.

Whichever job takes you back to Canada you fucking alien.

Miners live in shitty places. That's the game. You already know this because that's your business. And hopefully the future Mrs Farmer understands it too. Go for the option that gets you paid and gives you the opportunity to get paid even more. I've known a lot of miners and miners' wives and at the earlier stages of their careers they all lived in shitty places. Hopefully you can work your way up the totem pole and pay in your dues so that later on you can get paid and live someplace that isn't freaking terrible. But in the mean time you've gotta do the right thing for your career. You don't want to end up in your 50's delivering pizzas like Benny, do you?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

You might want to consider career path also. A couple of years at a big outfit may make your resume more sexy going forward than a stint in the desert with the small firm.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    You might want to consider career path also. A couple of years at a big outfit may make your resume more sexy going forward than a stint in the desert with the small firm.
    You know, that is probably something I'm under valuing about Denver. I've been treated so well at a small company, and learnt so much more than my friends who work for big companies that I see the smaller company as a +, but I suppose that having a more recognized name on my resume has value in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    A starts in death valley, moves to northern NV. B is outside of Denver.
    Northern NV like Reno, or somewhere rural?

There's a couple of us here in Reno (plus several who have lived here, then moved elsewhere). If you're looking at Reno, it can be pretty nice, and there are definitely cost of living advantages vs. the California side of the border. I think of it as the tax sheltered part of CA with cheaper real estate.

If you have any specific questions about here, or the rural parts of the state, ask away.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Northern NV like Reno, or somewhere rural?

There's a couple of us here in Reno (plus several who have lived here, then moved elsewhere). If you're looking at Reno, it can be pretty nice, and there are definitely cost of living advantages vs. the California side of the border. I think of it as the tax sheltered part of CA with cheaper real estate.

If you have any specific questions about here, or the rural parts of the state, ask away.
    Winnemucca