Page 11 of 89 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    187 Jag Shark, any beta?

Quote Originally Posted by gritter View Post
    So in the dying hours of the sale, what would you guys recommend for a ski for europe, 50% resort / 50% day tours. Never ski switch, like small jumps but don't do big drops. Have been on some 174 Freerides and found them great but have the same sensation that Blister described on the GPO in the soft stuff - stiff tail throws me forward and the tips aren't supportive so a lack of focus and I lose the tips. I was looking for something that would keep the stable, directional ride through heavier euro snow but might play just a bit better in the soft.

Was all over the place in looking at alternatives but considering:

The 180 BC (perhaps medium stiff glass layup), 177 Concept, 182 GPO and 179 RX. GPO and RX are perhaps a touch on the wide side. Concept has nice dimms but could be a bit funky on groomers? BC looks like possibly the best option, but I'm nervous about it being too much of a Wailer 112rp alike which I found too turny.

Was also considering the Gotama / old Katana as a cheap alternative albeit that they are a bit heavy, but the praxis build quality make me want to go that route...

Thoughts.
    BC is not like the 112rp, a softer Freeride would be a better comparison. The MVP serves up East Coast chop quite well and doesn't have a pitchy behavior.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by DJ2 View Post
    187 Jag Shark, any beta?
    That's a moment ski?

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I would have thought the BC is closer to a Wailer 112 than the Freeride is.

In any case, other than being very easy to ski, the BC is not much like the Wailer 112 at all. I have skied both plenty.

I have not skied the Freeride, but based on dimensions, I would expect it to be a better Alps 50/50 resort/tour ski than the BC. The BC has an obvious soft snow bias. It is a narrow powder ski that is still capable in other situations. But it is definitely most capable in soft snow.

I can't comment on the Freeride flex that gritter doesn't like. But I can say that the medium flex BC is pretty soft throughout. It does not have a stiff tail at all.
    Life is not lift served.

So in the dying hours of the sale, what would you guys recommend for a ski for europe, 50% resort / 50% day tours. Never ski switch, like small jumps but don't do big drops. Have been on some 174 Freerides and found them great but have the same sensation that Blister described on the GPO in the soft stuff - stiff tail throws me forward and the tips aren't supportive so a lack of focus and I lose the tips. I was looking for something that would keep the stable, directional ride through heavier euro snow but might play just a bit better in the soft.

Was all over the place in looking at alternatives but considering:

The 180 BC (perhaps medium stiff glass layup), 177 Concept, 182 GPO and 179 RX. GPO and RX are perhaps a touch on the wide side. Concept has nice dimms but could be a bit funky on groomers? BC looks like possibly the best option, but I'm nervous about it being too much of a Wailer 112rp alike which I found too turny.

Was also considering the Gotama / old Katana as a cheap alternative albeit that they are a bit heavy, but the praxis build quality make me want to go that route...

Thoughts.
    My experience with 182 GPO and tail behaviour...
    mounted at -2 cm, tail was easy compliant, but with marker tours, I felt the tips were a bit remote
    I changed the mount to the dimple and the tail has come to life and spanked me a few times...

enough so that I'm consider going back to the -2 cm mount

Maybe the freeride would work for you with the mount a bit back...

In general, i think the freeride stock flex is stiffer than the bc/gpo
    Aggressive in my own mind

I skied the 187 GPO at both dimple and -1. -1 seems perfect to me, very neutral/natural feel there

Thanks for your thoughts - for clarity - I don't actively dislike the Freeride flex - just think that when conditions get softer I have to be very careful not to lose the tips. Also I am already mounted a couple of cm back

Neck beard - I agree that the Freeride is the right tool for the job on paper, and I really like the flex and the ability to load up the tail properly compared to the tail rockered skis that I've tried (Wailer / Atris). I think that my biggest issue is a goldilocks problem - 174 feels like it is too short, but 184 sounds like a lot of ski for someone my size (I'm 5'7" 150lbs).

What I don't want is that heavily rockered ski tendency to slarve all the time but it sounds like the BC will probably be somewhere in the middle - particularly if I get it in a touch stiffer flex.
    Last edited by gritter; 05-25-2015 at 02:16 AM.

174 feels like it is too short, but 184 sounds like a lot of ski for someone my size (I'm 5'7" 150lbs).
    Pretty much my situation as well. I'd err for shorter given my use for the ski. But 180 would be better.

What I don't want is that heavily rockered ski tendency to slarve all the time but it sounds like the BC will probably be somewhere in the middle - particularly if I get it in a touch stiffer flex.
    BC isn't very slarvy, just initiates turns fast and easy due to the deeper tip rocker length. It also has quite a lot of camber, making it pretty energetic.
    Life is not lift served.

Can anyone comment on a GPO in the stiff layup? If so what was the build? I'm 5'10 175/80...I have a stiff SnD (totally different ski I know) and I don't find it terribly stiff at all.

I'm kicking around a 187 to add (this is a pure ski greed purchase) to the quiver.

Nothing to add other than bumping as less than a month some Praxis fanboyz should start getting shipping notifications...!

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Nothing to add other than bumping as less than a month some Praxis fanboyz should start getting shipping notifications...!
    On that note, has anyone who did the layaway plan for the early pre-order actually get billed for their second payment on Monday (6-15)? The second payment on my order should have gone through but I'm not seeing anything. Don't mean to bitch about Keith not taking my money and all, but I'm a broke bastard and holding onto that cash is hard. Burning a hole in my pocket . . .

Any Tahoe folks in cahoots with the Praxis boys have any idea how things are going this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Giant View Post
    On that note, has anyone who did the layaway plan for the early pre-order actually get billed for their second payment on Monday (6-15)? The second payment on my order should have gone through but I'm not seeing anything. Don't mean to bitch about Keith not taking my money and all, but I'm a broke bastard and holding onto that cash is hard. Burning a hole in my pocket . . .

Any Tahoe folks in cahoots with the Praxis boys have any idea how things are going this summer?
    NG, I did the half payment setup last year and Keith charge my card the final payment when the skis were ready to ship... Not sure if that is the case this time around...

It seems as if the billing posting (to your credit card) lags by a few days. At least that's what happened with my 1st half deposit.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Take it to Vegas and double it -- my email from Keith says the second payment will be charged in July.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Take it to Vegas and double it -- my email from Keith says the second payment will be charged in July.
    Well there's an idea. Hell I could just go to South Tahoe and hit the craps table there. Pay for my trip AND pick up my skis myself.
    Anyhow does that mean the skis also won't ship until July? Or maybe later even?

The last email I have on this says that if you ordered by 4/20, the skis would be shipped by 7/15.

So I looked back thru my emails with praxis and it seems there was a minor snafu. One email saying the second payment would go thru June 15 but a second one later on saying July 15. Shot Keith a message. All cleared up now, all is well, no need to panic.

Don't forget to tip the croupiers.

1/2 off sale is back until July 6, order now for September delivery.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Just when you thought your credit card was safe ;-) I'm sorely tempted to add on a 2nd pair (to this year's order).

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 06-30-2015 at 04:28 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Felt like a tease seeing my Freerides w/ Pine topsheet in the current sale photo but just got the email saying they're ready to ship!

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Can anyone comment on a GPO in the stiff layup? If so what was the build? I'm 5'10 175/80...I have a stiff SnD (totally different ski I know) and I don't find it terribly stiff at all.

I'm kicking around a 187 to add (this is a pure ski greed purchase) to the quiver.
    Reposting since there is interest here again...thanks!

Early pre-orders should be getting theirs soon... I just got my email from Keith confirming my shipping address.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Felt like a tease seeing my Freerides w/ Pine topsheet in the current sale photo but just got the email saying they're ready to ship!
    Same as my custome BCs with hex top sheet are in there as well... They are going to be super steezy with blue STH 16s on them... So stoked...

And def hope to see the Ancient, Rastaman and Norway as I am really interested in the new 9D (truly hope to read some reviews) and the hopeful 120 underfoot "Protest" top sheets on the recent production...
    Last edited by Undertow; 06-30-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Should I get GPO or WOOTEST for a soft snow 100% touring ski? Already have the BC...