Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

ProtoPolyAss: What About Building Water Pipelines To CA and the SW?

Discuss:
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Now is the time to start that California Zen Garden business you've always been dreaming about.

Where would the water come from? Isn't most of the water for SoCal already supplied via pipelines and canals?

The person who figures out a cheaper method of desalination will be a very rich person. As the sea levels rise, CA will have more water to deal with than they'll want.

USACOE was on this 60 years ago. If nothing else, the grandiosity is impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...Power_Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by rmnpsplitter View Post
    The person who figures out a cheaper method of desalination will be a very rich person. As the sea levels rise, CA will have more water to deal with than they'll want.
    If fusion power ever becomes reality, major ramp ups in desalination will probably follow very close behind. But, it will still be limited to municipal/industrial uses at best. Non-starter for agriculture.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-02-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Not likely going to ever happen.

Couple reasons:

The idea is repulsive to say the least to officials in the Great Lakes (it's been floated, hehe, before) it got laughed right out of the room.

Secondly, look how unsuccessful it's been in a much smaller proposal:

The State of Georgia is still in court to try and gain access to the Tennessee River, a mere 100 yards from the incorrectly drawn northern border (drawn by drunks using poor tools, and acknowledged as incorrect when compared to the grant metes and bounds of the 4th state). It's been fought for decades and Tennessee is no closer to sharing their water then they were 200 years ago. Good luck trying to sue anyone for their water on a scale as big as California's needs are.

Try that ocean next door, is desalinization really that unappealing/uneconomical in this drought?
    I still call it The Jake.

Only major watershed I can see within reach that regularly sees a glut of overflow (that seems to be occurring more and more these past couple decades) would be the Red R. basin. All other major watersheds in the southern 2/3rds of NA would seem to be already under similar stresses to recharge and overall use. I'm sure Manitobans wouldn't mind the reduction in skeeters that would accompany the lowering of late spring/summer flows into Lk Winnipeg.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Try that ocean next door, is desalinization really that unappealing/uneconomical in this drought?
    Pretty good synopsis of the current state of desal in CA: http://blogs.kqed.org/science/audio/...ater-problems/

Basically, there's no fucking way desal can even begin to put a dent into CA's agricultural water use.

We discussed this very matter in my office today. yes its a slow day, but what else can a bunch of nerds do a few hours before a holiday weekend.
    Anyway, I thought perhaps buffalo and detroit could create a sort of keystone xl pipeline to california for farmers. My thought was the economics could be overcome by selling to the highest commercial bidders and dropping the pipelines into their area. leaving local water for non commercial use. They would become the dubai of the mid-west if it was feasible, and if the pipe leaked along the way, nobody would care about some mud and weeds growing underneath it vs oil. Just a pipe dream(pun intended)
    That being said, California (and US by default) is in a real pickle. Our conversation started when we read about snowpack being at 5% of normal for April 1 which going back to 1950 it has never been below 25%. Truly scary. Desalination could work if Elon Musk could develop cold fusion I suppose or they allowed micro nuclear power plants to be built near the desalination in order to boil and pump billions of gallons of water. I've had the water on Aruba and its desalinated and it tastes very good but its Mucho $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Now is the time to start that California Zen Garden business you've always been dreaming about.

Well I sure hope they aren't watering lawns. Even before the drought that place was the desert.

no we need more oil pipelines

duh
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

1. Power requirements for Desal would melt the power grid long before we got close to meeting our needs.
    2. To physically meet the water consumption needs, we're talking about millions of CFS delivered. Pipelines cannot reasonably be constructed large enough to convey this amount of water in this age.
    3. It's a drought. Droughts do pass in time. If it's climate change, the population will move.
    4. Water managers in the state need to revise their storage rules. During the heavy rains in December, USBR and ACoE were dumping huge amounts of water out of all N Cal reservoirs due to their own rules and regulations. The Yolo causeway was flooded twice this winter to accommodate the massive water dumps. If that water would have been held, we would be in a much better position.

5. Oregon and Washington won't let us steal their water. Pretty sure we've tried before, so now we just export our population to them.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    We discussed this very matter in my office today. yes its a slow day, but what else can a bunch of nerds do a few hours before a holiday weekend.
    Anyway, I thought perhaps buffalo and detroit could create a sort of keystone xl pipeline to california for farmers. My thought was the economics could be overcome by selling to the highest commercial bidders and dropping the pipelines into their area. leaving local water for non commercial use. They would become the dubai of the mid-west if it was feasible, and if the pipe leaked along the way, nobody would care about some mud and weeds growing underneath it vs oil. Just a pipe dream(pun intended)
    That being said, California (and US by default) is in a real pickle. Our conversation started when we read about snowpack being at 5% of normal for April 1 which going back to 1950 it has never been below 25%. Truly scary. Desalination could work if Elon Musk could develop cold fusion I suppose or they allowed micro nuclear power plants to be built near the desalination in order to boil and pump billions of gallons of water. I've had the water on Aruba and its desalinated and it tastes very good but its Mucho $$$.
    See my Great Lakes comment above. You're not just dealing with a municipality selling water, you have 8 states and a whole other country that has rights and interests in that water older than California and certainly older than this current crisis.

Power, manufacturing, shipping, fishing, local water supply, environmental... None of these very powerful groups are going to give up a drop of the GL.
    I still call it The Jake.

Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

More water is used in almond production than is used by all the residents and businesses of San Francisco and Los Angeles combined.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/almon...#ixzz3WBglBj90

The reason WA will not allow its water to be diverted, we have our own AG/power to protect, The Columbia River. But, at max usage AG only draws 3% of the total flow, and most of that is returned down stream that will be ran thru dams for power sales to CA. 9 months out of the year our dams are spilling water as reservoirs are filled, June, July, August during heavy use periods, (AG and power), they are still spilling excess water to supply salmon runs and no new water can be withdrawn without finding new water for fish. The ratio....for every foot of water withdrawn, 3 needs to be put back for fish. No one will allow new storage to be built so.....CA will dry up until people reassess their needs.

Pipelines just extend the tragedy of the commons to a larger commons.

The water "shortage" in California is artificial. Central Valley farmers are accustomed to using a shitload of artificially cheap water that is subsidized by everyone else in the state and in the country. Sure, we all get something back for those subsidies, who doesn't love cheap produce? But it's the artificially cheap water prices that do things like create a rice industry in the Sacramento Valley that gets half the precip of everywhere else in the world that grows large rice crops, or create a melon industry (basically farming flavored water) in Fresno, or grow strawberries and lettuce in Salinas.

Far better to grow dryland crops in the drylands, than to continue to destroy ecosystems with new water projects. It's as if nobody learned a damned thing from Mono Lake, Glen Canyon, or the lower Colorado.

California can barely pay its bills right now. How will they afford that? Also if the agricultural part of California loses their water I imagine it would further devastate Californias revenue base. Building a bullet train from LA to San Fran ( via Fresno) while pretty cool is completely irresponsible in the current situation they are faced with. Hopefully the drought ends for a few years to buy some time but it doesn't look good.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    1. Power requirements for Desal would melt the power grid long before we got close to meeting our needs.
    2. To physically meet the water consumption needs, we're talking about millions of CFS delivered. Pipelines cannot reasonably be constructed large enough to convey this amount of water in this age.
    3. It's a drought. Droughts do pass in time. If it's climate change, the population will move.
    4. Water managers in the state need to revise their storage rules. During the heavy rains in December, USBR and ACoE were dumping huge amounts of water out of all N Cal reservoirs due to their own rules and regulations. The Yolo causeway was flooded twice this winter to accommodate the massive water dumps. If that water would have been held, we would be in a much better position.

5. Oregon and Washington won't let us steal their water. Pretty sure we've tried before, so now we just export our population to them.
    What about what SD is doing?

San Diego agrees to turn recycled wastewater into drinking water

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    More water is used in almond production than is used by all the residents and businesses of San Francisco and Los Angeles combined.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/almon...#ixzz3WBglBj90
    And Almond groves are one of the causes of bee colony collapse.

There really aren't any significant, economically viable unexploited water resources available for California, including desalinization, leaving only increased efficiency and re-use. Domestic effluent recycling is the more achievable in the near term, industrial not too far behind, but agricultural will be the big challenge.

Water is for fighting and whiskey is for drinking.

Senior water rights versus junior water rights, chaining water diversion gates, power production, fish production, the list goes on and on for the fine people of the Lost River valley and their dealings with the geology of the Snake River plain.

Yes, I am well aware that whiskey production uses a lot of water, but what doesn't.

It is completely needing to change the mindset that water is a infinite resource.

How about we start with addressing the usage?

Hmm, let's see here. Let's take a vastly arid state and add tons of people, lots of golf courses (see Palm Desert, Palm Springs, etc.), and buttloads of ag in areas where nothing should grow. YEAH! That sounds like a GREAT idea.

I say let 'em dry out a bit until they finally make the proper adjustments to make themselves at least SOMEWHAT sustainable. I'd say the population there should decline, but they've been exporting people by the millions and they still somehow keep growing.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    How about we start with addressing the usage?

Hmm, let's see here. Let's take a vastly arid state and add tons of people, lots of golf courses (see Palm Desert, Palm Springs, etc.), and buttloads of ag in areas where nothing should grow. YEAH! That sounds like a GREAT idea.

I say let 'em dry out a bit until they finally make the proper adjustments to make themselves at least SOMEWHAT sustainable. I'd say the population there should decline, but they've been exporting people by the millions and they still somehow keep growing.
    Like I said - time to start that Zen Garden business:

‘The Era Of The Lawn In The West Is Over’ As Drought-Weary Cities Urge Residents To Save Water

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    This, generally. Though I do understand the State Board issued some emergency orders this winter that allowed the Bureau to fill San Luis during the two atmospheric river events we had, so that was nice at least.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    There really aren't any significant, economically viable unexploited water resources available for California, including desalinization, leaving only increased efficiency and re-use. Domestic effluent recycling is the more achievable in the near term, industrial not too far behind, but agricultural will be the big challenge.
    Plus this.

This strikes me as right:
    http://onthepublicrecord.org/2015/03...n-by-say-2040/
    http://onthepublicrecord.org/2015/03...of-production/

Carry on... (Also, Ski to Be, we have a budget surplus these days. Get your shit straight.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I dont know why the focus is on almonds. yes they use 10% of California's Ag water-> but alfalfa uses up 15% of the states ag water. most of this alfalfa gets shipped to china. In the point of harm to the industry-> replanting almond trees then waiting for them to mature would take 15-20 years to get back to current production if they were to be neglected. Alfalfa would simply need to be replanted.

Edit- also when San Diego's desal plant gets going in 2017 it will provide 7% of the counties water. Thats a start....