Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    Can you heal from that injury that quickly?
    IDK, neither does the Surgeon. I freaked them all out, because its very obviously fractured on the MRI, but I have ZERO pain doing anything other than skiing- mainly anytime I get backseat, load my tails to pop, twist, or chatter through a carve (yes, I know, its sounds like a good injury to coach me out of bad habits). I had zero swelling, and almost zero site soreness when it happened, but it was shit my pants painful when I came close to any of the above movements.

On the brightside, I have been able to keep my legs in great shape meatheading out in the gym 100% and MTBing painfree(not skiing shape though), but the downside is I have no way to judge my recovery without going skiing and possible reopening a not-quite-healed fracture.

Just gonna go for a mellow slide at central/west and see how it goes- If it doesn't work out its easier to straightline one footed to the bottom on groomers than it is through chop and moguls at alpy haha.

Maybe don't push it. A couple years I broke a couple ribs. 3 weeks later they felt fine so I headed out on a high route and near the end of Day 1 I rebroke one of them and had to hobble out the ingress route.

My back injury is not fully recovered so I'll be taking it on the mellow side this weekend.

Hey if they take kids up that thing I'll be fine! Right?

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    Hey if they take kids up that thing I'll be fine! Right?
    Alpental is equal opportunity.

Just depends on how you define "opportunity" in this context.

No wonder dbs, had trouble on that lift, it's for experts only.

I have one of those too though I've had a hard time locating it. Mine was circa 1980.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post

Does the Alpy patrol enforce the requirement to carry the BC card?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Sometimes. We've been checked going out the High T gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    As regularly as they enforce anything.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    No wonder dbs, had trouble on that lift, it's for experts only.
    I've been riding that lift since a time when snowboards weren't allowed at Alpental on weekends. My first time down elevator was 23 years ago. Suck it.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    . Mine was circa 1980.
    Gonna have to bust your balls a little bit.

The card system as it works now was put in place during the 1987 season. Before that, we used to use a "check in, check out" system where you needed a group of 3, beacon, shovel,(probe) and could ask in the patrol shack to take loops. Or you went as part of a tour with a patroller. Or you were in on the "friends and family"plan. Or you just went. This created some hostility since the older system kind of favored some over others, why can he go but I can't type of situation. The solution was to remove the grey and make the open/closed more black and white, so a system was put in place with liability release, and a card issued after you had gone on 1 BC slack tour with a patroller to demonstrate competency.

The first card had clowns on it with a green plaid background, for "no bozos in the backcountry" and "dead men don't wear plaid". A $5 "donation" was needed along with the release, but again it was still a little bro-brah depending on whether you actually had to pay or not, which offset the modest cost of laminating and helped support the patrollers beer fund. The clown theme had multiple iterations and clowns included Bozo, Goofy, Crusty the Clown, and Homey the Clown to name a few.

The guy on Steve's card (late 90's-2000's version, they stopped doing a yearly one after awhile) was the head of patrol in 70-80's, but back issues took him out of it in the early 90's and he wasn't around still working by the time that card was in use. I used to have the full collection, but lost most of them in a house fire in 2003. I have a pic of the 87 or 88 somewhere I'll try to find.

The card check system has always been sort of sporadic, usually its randomly enforced weekends or when staffing allows it ie rarely. It's unfortunate that the beacon shovel probe requirement is not in place, without the card in my pocket I've been denied despite having all my gear which was maddening. Had to go to the car and get the damn thing out of the other coat to get by the volley doing spot checks.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    It's unfortunate that the beacon shovel probe requirement is not in place, without the card in my pocket I've been denied despite having all my gear which was maddening.
    I think we've discussed this before. It's insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Used it too many times to scrape the windshield???

I'll be in lot 4 as usual.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post

The card check system has always been sort of sporadic, usually its randomly enforced weekends or when staffing allows it ie rarely. It's unfortunate that the beacon shovel probe requirement is not in place, without the card in my pocket I've been denied despite having all my gear which was maddening. Had to go to the car and get the damn thing out of the other coat to get by the volley doing spot checks.
    I witnessed this. Do not fuck with MoFro when he wants to ski pow. He will destroy you.

And to state the obvious, the card trumps gear policy is beyond stupid.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

So how do you acquire this card?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    So how do you acquire this card?
    Top of chair 2, walk into the Patrol shack. Spend about 5 minutes being lectured, show your avi gear, sign your life away, ski pow....or at least that's how it was back in 2008 when I got mine.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
    Used it too many times to scrape the windshield???

B
    Did I do that? UV exposure, I suppose. Got lots of use <2013 but I haven't used it much since brain surgery, thus cementing my mere tourist status. Seeya this evening. Could be fun up there.

I've got a few spare BC cards in my car in case they run out of waivers for y'all to sign.

A few years ago I did the gold pass thing and they sent me a plastic sleeve for it with a hole to attach a lanyard to since the southern resort had gone RFID. I just keep my pass and BC card both in there, just in case. This has led to some entertaining interactions with the "Scanning Dept." as the current ticket scanners don't play nice with my dirty plastic pass sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    I witnessed this. Do not fuck with MoFro when he wants to ski pow. He will destroy you.

And to state the obvious, the card trumps gear policy is beyond stupid.
    People not assuming responsibility for their own safety is beyond stupid
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Hey, I had one like that

I'm assuming with no bc experience and only avalung and shovel there is only inbounds for me.

I'm assuming with no bc experience and only avalung and shovel there is only inbounds for me.
    There's probably some kind of waiver they issue for an avalung & shovel combo?

Certainly you could try explaining that you're just planning on digging yourself out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Just an avalung and shovel is pretty useless

That's why I said "I'm assuming...there is only inbounds." Sorry thought that spoke for itself. For instance, i do lift accessed sidecountry without reqs for any gear. So that's what I was asking about in a less direct manner.