Salomon Q 115 or Head Cyclic 115

Hello,

I had recently lost my powder ski: Atomic Automatic 117. For the next year, I am thinking about the replacement:
    1. Atomic Automatic 117 in 186 (again)
    2. Salomon Q 115 in 188
    3. Head Cyclic 115 in 191

Few questions, since demo of head is not really an option (end of season) nor it available at my local resort at Tahoe.
    Is 191 would be too much? My everyday (all mountain) ski is 180 and I am 6' and 200 lb advanced skier. I am looking for similar as Atomic experience, such as playful ski with good performance on 3D snow as well as refrozen stuff.

Price is an optional factor as well, all the above skis I could get for around $400 new (last season).

thank you

should I consider Head in 181 instead of 191?

I ski the Head Cyclic in a 191, and while I'm taller than you by 4 inches, I'm about 20 pounds lighter. FWIW, I am an ex-instructor (like really ex - 10 years ago), ski pretty much anything more finesse than aggressive. I find the running length on the 191 is not a concern, as it skis quite short with a pretty tight turning radius (for its width). I have skied the Head Collective (10 mm narrower waist) in a 181, and found it skied really short. So I don't think the 191 is over kill for you.

$.02 review - Cyclic is a great ski for multiple conditions given its width. It might not be the stiffest ski around, but it handles everything pretty darn well - damp enough but also able to be tipped from edge to edge and provide a bit of snap if you ask for it.

Get the red ones
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

+1 for Head. 110 underfoot are the sex.

Automatic does not gives good performance on 3D snow as well as refrozen stuff, but acceptable to be in peace with it. Does Salomon q115 or Head performs better in above conditions?
    P.S. I do realize that all 3 skis are soft conditions skis. I could get a "black" one for about $400

Tech. Talk. JONG makes some pretty cool skis

Resurrecting thread...I just picked up some Cyclics at STP and would like feedback on where to mount them. Thx.
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

About 15cm back from orbital center, let those tips float!

Are your other 15 posts this helpful?
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Yer mom likes it about 115 underfoot...If ya know what I'm sayin

Sent from the other side
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

I'm a-gonna raise a fuss
    I'm a-gonna raise a holler
    About workin' all summer
    Just-a trying to earn a dollar

Every time I call my baby
    Try to get a date
    My boss says "No dice, son
    You gotta work late"

Sometimes I wonder
    What I'm-a gonna do
    But there ain't no cure
    For the summertime blues

Well my mama and papa told me
    "Son, you gotta make some money
    If you wanna use the car
    To go a-ridin' next Sunday"

Well, I didn't go to work
    Told the boss I was sick
    "You can't use the car
    'Cause you didn't work a lick"

Sometimes I wonder
    What I'm-a gonna do
    But there ain't no cure
    For the summertime blues

I'm gonna take two weeks
    Gonna have a fine vacation
    I'm gonna take my problem
    To the United Nations

Well, I called my congressman
    And he said, quote:
    "I'd like to help you, son
    But you're too young to vote"

Sometimes I wonder
    What I'm-a gonna do
    But there ain't no cure
    For the summertime blues

I have last years red and blue salomon q 115's id sell. They were mounted for a 315 bsl salomon sth2 binding. 188cm skied about 30 days on em.

I've been on the 191 Boneshakers for a couple years, they are mounted -1.5cm from the furthest back line. But I have a smallish boot (puts my tibia closer to the midpoint of the boot). They are great skis.

got Salomon Q 115 in 188
    any idea where to mount? or just do it on the line? Any suggestions?
    thank you

Well if you're in tahoe you should mount them in tahoe
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

My next ski: Praxis Protest

How do people mount Q115? On the line or if I am planning to use the for 6"+ fresh - mountain closer to the tail? Have anyone did it?

English mutherfucker - can you write it?

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    English mutherfucker - can you write it?
    I am trying...

What would be a suggestion to mount the binding on Q115?
    Should I just mount binding on the suggested line, considering I would want to use these skis for powder (anything with 6"+ ). Would anyone suggest to mount closer to the tail?
    Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by tanoleg View Post
    I am trying...

What would be a suggestion to mount the binding on Q115?

Thank you...
    Use a drill, screws and a template. The last item you can find in
    Tech Talk JONG

Seriously, dont worry about fore/aft positioning. Mount them on the line but as far to the outside of each ski as possible- usually 1.5 cm from the outer edge. That will allow you to maximize edge angle without booting out

Go for Rax. Or, my personal ski style for all condition - The Heartcarve

There are 3 main innovations in this way of skiing.

1) skiing at terminal velocity - you aren't trying to slow yourself down. You are more concerned about a route down, which if involves rapid turns, will convert forward speed into cross-run movement anyhow, so forward speed is reduced anyway without specifically trying. It's more like the feeling of a rollercoaster with a track route you create in realtime - to me it's an evolution of skiing and feels completely different and is exhilarating.

2) turning by relaxing - if you're in a car going around a bend and you let go of the steering wheel, the steering wheel will spin automatically to come out of the turn and then move into an opposite turn to some degree which you can then reinforce by gripping and continuing the steering again. It's the same principle with heartcarving: you want to switch from one turn to the next? Just relax the legs and the heart will move to the opposite side of the feet. Want to start turning when in a straight line? Just lift a leg and you'll lean over and start carving. Place pressure on the foot again when at the desired body angle. In the videos it looks like I am moving my legs under me, I am not, I am relaxing my legs and my upper body is moving over to the opposite side of my feet, with only an appearance of moving the feet from side to side as with more conventional skiing. (however I can consciously move and swing my feet as a throwback to a more conventional style of skiing - good for moguls - so you still need that skill)

3) Skiing from the heart - as an exercise, the body is split into two parts, heart and feet. And then one can think about the heart as a sphere which can move in 3 planes: pitch, yaw and roll. Also, one isn't using poles, instead they are playing with centripetal acceleration via relaxation and tension in the legs and more pronounced movements of the back (which affects the heart's pitch, yaw and roll.) The most basic heartcarves can be done on a beginner's run with very low bodily effort or tension, or pressure (see lower video.) At higher speeds and more difficult runs, it is more intense and fun.

Also next time Jong, post your tech talk questions in Tech Talk.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

this thread was started about 1 year ago, when I made a mistake, nO error to post my question into the wrong post. I had improved since than and post my questions to the right threads, but this one was at the wrong thread ... sorry

find in your heart some kindness and forgive me... (I put more questions into the old thread, all my new ones are correct. I am better, I swear on it). Peace?