Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Yeti; Do they really suck that bad?

After reading this article, I was like "yea, that new SB6 sounds baller". Then I read the comments below and man, there are some unhappy Yeti owners out there.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/yeti-sb6c-review-2015.html

I've known three people now who have broken Yeti frames. Most recent one I met on a trail today. Was asking him how he liked his SB66. Said he loved it. Then said he had to warranty replace the rear triangle because it cracked. It's aluminum! I thought it was just a problem with their carbon bikes!

I've ridden the SB66 and thought it was pretty awesome. Definite contender before I went Knolly. Can't see ever going Yeti now.

I've never had problems with my Yetis that I've had over the years, used to have a 575 and now have a carbon SB66. They've had problems with rear triangles ever since the first carbon triangles came out on the ASR5. People would break the carbon triangles on their 575, the aluminum ones on their SB66s and now triangles on their SB6 bikes. I'm a big fan of Yeti bikes, but honestly this isn't something I'm surprised about at all since it's a first production run bike. Not sure if they just have a shitty carbon manufacturer or what. This time it looks like they are really catching some bad PR and press. If you can find a carbon SB66 (not aluminum!) for cheap I would buy another in a heartbeat, but I would run far away from the SB6 until they get everything worked out and it's not a first year production bike. Yeti had a lot of problems with their first run SB66s with the eccentric links and what not as well, but 3 years later ended up being one of the best bikes every produced.

Hope they get everything worked out, but in my opinion I would tell people to go to Santa Cruz over Yeti for a new bike. Slightly cheaper and you're getting a better QC bike that is comparable in travel, components, ect.

Just my 2 cents.

ill be very interested to see where this thread goes, can't stop jerking it to sb6c, bronsons, and nomads really the three i would consider if i had funds, hopefully i get lucky in vegas.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I personally haven't cracked a yeti frame, but have two friends who have (an SB66 and a 575). To be fair, one of the friend's bought the other friend's used Yeti, so the 575 had been ridden by the same person. The SB66 frame was replaced under warranty but downtime threw a wrench into my friend's season.

Like anything else, I'm sure the negative voices are probably the loudest. Given that there's only like, four dozen awesome mid/long-travel bikes out there right now, it might be worth just picking something else that has a better reliability reputation.

I rode a Yeti 303RDH for a few seasons and it was probably the one of the best built bikes I've ever owned - great attention to detail and extremely durable. I also have a friend who has a 575 and a 4 Cross and he hammers on them both. I did hear about some issues with their first production run of their recent carbon frames, but that's most likely been remedied.

Like radam said, a few owners with cracked frames will make more noise than the thousands of satisfied ones.

Long winded response that could turn out to be a bad game of telephone: I heard through a friend who went to outerbike and talked to the demo guys and they said Yeti had moved their carbon manufacturing to a new facility in the last year, and it is the same as Santa Cruz. I hope this works out for them in the long term, but they need to do way more qa/qc. I think the SB6c will be fine this year after catching that flaw in the preproduction frames, but based on the design issues (see below about the 95c) they've seemingly had, I have minor reservations.

Two of my friends cracked the SB-95c frames. One cracked 3 (size large) the other cracked 1 (size extra-large). The one that cracked it once was out a bike for 4 months last year. The bike shop said they had not seen any broken medium or small SB-95c's but many larges and xl's broke. Sounds like yeti didn't do a great job scaling up to the larger frames. Others I've seen a broken rear triangle aluminum SB-66 (bike was ridden hard, but heard of that same failure) and a few 575 frames.

I have a SB-66c and trust it pretty strongly, have treated it like a DH bike for more than a few days and its held up to the task. I just fear working with their warranty department after my friend was out a bike for most of the summer. The SB6c is on my short list for when I need a new bike in a few years, but I know for sure I would wait for the first year models to clear out and have them tweak things for the following model year.

After reading many of the same stories about Yeti bikes over the years, I went from lusting for one, to not even considering them in my recent shopping. Seems like the last time I was shopping for a bike, 4 years ago, they were having the same problems. Rear triangle. Maybe there's a few "Squeaky Wheels" out there, but if the shit is breaking, and taking a long time to get resolved, other potential customers need to know about it.

Another advantage of not buying a Yeti= Not having to be considered a member of their "Tribe" which just about makes me want to vomit every time I hear about it.

One good thing to come out of the yeti debacle is that the SB6c has a 5 year warranty at least, and yea like others have said Yeti admitted the first bikes weren't built to spec on the carbon material and have since fixed the issue. Still though, I stay away from 1st production run bikes.

I've got a buddy down in GJ that I believe is on his 2nd front triangle and 4th rear triangle on a large alloy SB95. To their credit, Yeti takes care of him well and he keeps riding that bike despite opportunities to change. Also have two friends that picked up the 5c this year after test riding just about everything in the 120-150 ranges. Yeti must be doing something right but I honestly haven't tried any of their offerings since my old 575. I'd have some durability concerns with them but it's a good company that seems to handle warranty issues well and that goes a long way. My biggest concern would be having one break on me in the middle of a road trip that could cost me some fun days riding. Pretty much zero concern that they wouldn't take care of it.

Haha yeah, the tribe, god that is lame! A friend of mine asked if I wanted to go to the "tribe gathering," last year. I looked up the trip and you MUST own a yeti bike to go, could only imagine the circle jerk that thing must be. They make sick bikes, but so do almost every other company out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Haha yeah, the tribe, god that is lame! A friend of mine asked if I wanted to go to the "tribe gathering," last year. I looked up the trip and you MUST own a yeti bike to go, could only imagine the circle jerk that thing must be. They make sick bikes, but so do almost every other company out there!
    A friend of mine went to a "Gathering" with a few other friends who own Yetis. He was on a DB. He said people were kinda dicks about it. But he smoked a bunch of them on the climbs. The next year, they changed the rule to YETIS ONLY!

Wow. Lots of interneting in this one. "my 3rd cousin twice removed posted on pinkbike that he broke a yeti"...

All bikes break. Literally. All of them. I believe Yeti is an excellent company with a bunch of excellent bikes. They are tested by real riders and if something goes awry they will take care of you. It may not happen overnight but they certainly aren't hanging anyone out to dry.

I'm hard on shit and would have no qualms riding one. They are on a short list of bikes I'd rock...

I've had two Yetis (2002-ish and 2005-ish), didn't have any problems with the frames. Anecdotally, I've heard that Yeti stands by their warranty and readily covers issues that arise.

I wouldn't pass on a Yeti today based on any fear of their frames being poorly built. Personally, I wouldn't consider a Yeti today because of the geometry and suspension design, but that's a completely different issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I ride a 575, 2008 or 2009 I believe, bought new (from Marshal back when he was a regular here). I did break the rear triangle a couple of years ago, paid a "crash replacement" price. Previous bike was a 2005 575 with no issues.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I guess my larger concern/pause for thought is if I'm capable of owning a carbon fiber all mountain/"enduro" bike, I've punished my blur lt aluminum literally launched it away from my body many many feet fucking up drops and laid it down and I'm just generally hard on bikes, I wonder if an aluminum bike is just not the safer bet. I don't doubt that all bikes brake, even aluminum, but my own personal experience wonders if I wouldn't have destroyed a carbon bike already and even if both bikes break at same threshold it's not as an expensive mistake if you fuck up aluminum no?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Had two Yetis - 2011 575, 2012 ASR-5. Cracked the carbon rear triangle on both, front triangle crack on the ASR. Each time I was down about 2 months waiting from Yeti. Wound up going with a Specialized - not a popular/boutique choice, but the LBS work warranty claims typically to just replace the frame, and the warranty is lifetime.

I loved how the Yetis rode - but what is the point if you're missing big segments of the season waiting on repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    I guess my larger concern/pause for thought is if I'm capable of owning a carbon fiber all mountain/"enduro" bike, I've punished my blur lt aluminum literally launched it away from my body many many feet fucking up drops and laid it down and I'm just generally hard on bikes, I wonder if an aluminum bike is just not the safer bet. I don't doubt that all bikes brake, even aluminum, but my own personal experience wonders if I wouldn't have destroyed a carbon bike already and even if both bikes break at same threshold it's not as an expensive mistake if you fuck up aluminum no?
    First, Not to be a dick but brake and break are different words
    Second, carbon can be stronger, it can be weaker - but these gross generalizations aren't really that great of a way to base buying decisions. Third, you could certainly ride a yeti - or any brands CF bike...but for you...maybe a Transition Covert (or similar) makes the most sense...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    First, Not to be a dick but brake and break are different words
    Second, carbon can be stronger, it can be weaker - but these gross generalizations aren't really that great of a way to base buying decisions. Third, you could certainly ride a yeti - or any brands CF bike...but for you...maybe a Transition Covert (or similar) makes the most sense...
    Touché salesman.

fuck that noise.

gmen.

All CARBON bikes break. Literally.
    Yup
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I own a sb66c, ride it hard and I absolutely love it. I am also 5'6" and weigh 155lbs. so take that for what it's worth. I was looking into rebuilding the switch infinity this past week and spoke to a lbs that is also a Yeti dealer. The shop rep told me they have 3 people waiting for new rear triangles right now and one of the biggest problems with Yeti is their ability to deliver service, repair, or warranty parts and even bikes, people waiting months and months for a new rig, which, as far as I can tell, is no different from SC or any other brand that is not Trek or Special Ed.

But it's true that with the onslaught of quality bikes out there that are practically one in the same, small points like not being able to deliver when shit goes poorly, which it always does, is key to continued loyalty among riders. I too see myself already lusting after an sb6c in a couple years. Hopefully my frame makes it that long
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

^^^I'd have guessed SC is getting big enough to provide a faster service compared to micro brands like Yeti, wouldn't expect to be a pain! guess I was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by dblatto View Post
    I own a sb66c, ride it hard and I absolutely love it. I am also 5'6" and weigh 155lbs. so take that for what it's worth. I was looking into rebuilding the switch infinity this past week and spoke to a lbs that is also a Yeti dealer. The shop rep told me they have 3 people waiting for new rear triangles right now and one of the biggest problems with Yeti is their ability to deliver service, repair, or warranty parts and even bikes, people waiting months and months for a new rig, which, as far as I can tell, is no different from SC or any other brand that is not Trek or Special Ed.

But it's true that with the onslaught of quality bikes out there that are practically one in the same, small points like not being able to deliver when shit goes poorly, which it always does, is key to continued loyalty among riders. I too see myself already lusting after an sb6c in a couple years. Hopefully my frame makes it that long
    That's the thing, if you're whacking me 3500 for just the frame, you better be johnny on the spot with any service.

I think this article at NSMB covered it pretty well...

http://nsmb.com/ask-uncle-dave-breaking-bikes/

“CHRIS CONROY (President, Yeti Cycles): The rear triangle(s) you tested came out of an original “press” run of 20 frames. After burning the frame down to confirm the lay-up, we discovered it was not made to our specifications. This resulted in the wall thickness being thinner and could explain why it didn’t handle the impact as well as we would have liked.

We have updated our process controls with the vendor to ensure our production parts meet our specifications. Additionally, we added material to our seatstays/chainstays for better impact resistance. This increased the weight of the rear triangle 45 grams.

It’s important to note, the SB6c was tested to our gravity standard, so impact aside, it is the strongest frame we’ve made to date.”

The impacts your team encountered could have been just bad luck and would have damaged any frame. That said, we’re committed to producing the best bikes on the market and have made improvements to ensure it is bombproof.”
    The tough part about the production of a lot of the carbon frames that are out there right now is that everyone is using the same vendors, which in and of it's self makes delivery problematic.

If it's really a concern, the best bet is to stick with mfg's like Giant (who own their own manufacturing) or Trek and Specialized because they have the volume (and influence with their suppliers), in addition they are more likely to be able to deliver timely warranty support, though that isn't always the case either if they are experiencing a problem that is drawing a lot of claims through the dealer network.

In addition, forecasting enough extra subframe parts to cover warranty issues seems to be something that everyone is struggling with to some degree (more so for smaller brands). I think that in a lot of cases, problems present themselves after a production run has been made, (regardless of preproduction testing) which means that the brand has to get back in line with the sub contracting manufacture who is now busy producing frames for other brands. I know of cases where a particular brand replaced carbon frames with Aluminum until they could get riders back on the next rev of carbon for the model that broke.
    Last edited by AlpenChronicHabitual; 04-03-2015 at 09:33 PM.

I have not broken my 5 year old 575 with the carbon rear triangle.

Second, carbon can be stronger, it can be weaker
    Carbon is stronger/stiffer by far than aluminum. Any QC testing will show you this, but like any material flaws in manufacturing will cause it to break during use. It seems like aluminum is easier to manufacture and make consistent than carbon though.

The SC carbon fiber frame tests are pretty impressive and clearly shows the advantages over aluminum.