Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Modern carbon mountain frames and components don't typically fail catastrophically though. I've seen a lot of broken carbon first hand in the last few years and all of it made it home.
    Certainly true most of the time. I've also seen a carbon bar snap off clean at the shifter clamp, and the only difference between making it back and gruesome injury or death there was timing. With enough product out there the probabilities become when, not if. I'm not trying to overstate the problem, it's just irritating that the better answer is obvious from an engineering standpoint, but as in most things bike the industry fears what it can't "sell."

Stated plainly, carbon needs protection, and often more than it's getting. I have a carbon road bike that came with a rather thick coating of urethane-like material all over it; why not the same (and more) for mountain bikes? Are we really so in love with shiny paint?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Are we really so in love with shiny paint?
    Given the cost of high end plastic bikes and who they're obviously marketed towards, is that really a serious question?

I was going to say the same thing about bars. My current trail bike is a plastic frame with plastic rims and plastic cranks. And a nice bendy wendy aluminum handlebar that will be replaced with another one when the time comes.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Given the cost of high end plastic bikes and who they're obviously marketed towards, is that really a serious question?
    I guess that is the only definitely serious question. I don't know the answer. My wife seems to be Yeti's current target: she's been in love with them for a couple years and the pretty is definitely part of it. She'd fall out of love immediately if she broke one, though, and she knows it. But the ride is the other half, and when/if durability is adequately addressed she'd probably queue up, even if that answer came with a matte finish.

The cynic in me says that actual warranty replacements can also be kept in check by marketing to people who ride less and pose more. Who wants to be that brand?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post

The cynic in me says that actual warranty replacements can also be kept in check by marketing to people who ride less and pose more. Who wants to be that brand?

Again......that seems like a rhetorical question

Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Yeti; Do they really suck that bad?

Anybody want to buy a medium Warden?
    Trading out for a SB5c..

I'm gonna diieeeee!
    Last edited by flowtron's ghost; 04-09-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Again......that seems like a rhetorical question

"snort"...

I knew you were part of the 1%

Actually I think it's probably 1% of plastic enduros and stumpjumpers that didn't fail within the last 3 years. Two of them I know of here were just rocks kicked up by the front tire. You know.............. "abuse".
    JRA