Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Have any of you compared the q lab 103 with the supernatural 108?

take a look at the new DPS 105. It was designed with the LP in mind and comes in their new metal construction. I tried them at the 2015 demo and they rip.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Has anyone been on the new Nordica enforcer? Should fit here...
    this
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Funny how the Bonafide gets such mixed reviews. Seems like some people would consider that a "modern" LP also?
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

Quote Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
    Funny how the Bonafide gets such mixed reviews. Seems like some people would consider that a "modern" LP also?
    A lot of the people who don't like the Bonafide wouldn't like the 97mm LP, they just either never skied it, or forgot what skiing it is like...

Black Crows Corvus?

I would take a hard look at the head monster range next year. The 98 is high on my list.

A bit wider than you're looking for but my blue/white 192 zealots slay just about everything... Really enjoy my 188 RC112 as well but definitely requires more work. I really enjoyed the 187 Bonafide (just picked up a pair of 173 Sambas for my wife - no metal). Tried and hated the 185 Cochise... Maybe it just didn't live up to all of the hype it had going for it or maybe it was just shit snow with low vis? Thoroughly enjoyed the 186 bodacious as well (skied a bit short but 196 seemed huge). Blizzard is really making some nice stuff these days. RC112s take the cake most days.

replacing old Legend Pros with....?

Take a an LP and Cross it with a Cochise and you get the Q Lab. Been skiing my 190's a lot late season and really digging them as my daily driver. Rail groomers far better than a 109-mm waist should.

The more forward mount point took a few runs to get used to, but works really well once you settle in to how to work/drive this ski. I'm 195-lbs, but was also really surprised how easy the 190 was to handle. Super stiff tail when hand flexing but very manageable IMO.

The Q lab is a more progressive design and one has to back off the tips a bit to get the most out of the ski, but damn...do they haul and are they fun!!

Oh, one last thing. The 20.5-m turn radius on the 190 had me a bit concerned at first. Felt a bit small before I really got dialed in on the skis. Now I would say that they rail
    Better than the 97-mm LP but aren't hooky in deep snow and crud. Nice balance between soft and hard snow capability if you let the ski behave how it was designed to.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Take a an LP and Cross it with a Cochise and you get the Q Lab. Been skiing my 190's a lot late season and really digging them as my daily driver. Rail groomers far better than a 109-mm waist should.

The more forward mount point to a few runs to get used to, but works really well once you settle in to how to work/drive this ski. I'm 195-lbs, but was also really surprised how easy the 190 was to handle. Super stiff tail when hand flexing but very manageable IMO.

The Q lab is a more progressive design and one has to back off the tips a bit to get the most out of the ski, but damn...do they haul and are they fun!!
    I agree. The Q-lab is one of the best skis of the season. I skied the 190 for a few runs at Stevens last spring and it blew me away with its responsiveness, edge grip, and stability. One of the best skis for skiing fast and hard at places like Stevens Pass or Bridger.

I look forward to comparing the new 185 Cochise (15/16) and comparing it. I have only skied the new cochise in a 192 so far.

The q lab seems like it would fit into my quiver really well (next size up is 187 jag shark for deeper days) but I was leaning toward the 108 supernatural because the q lab reportedly has soft shovels. How does q lab do in the mank and chop? I love how the lps handle that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by christoweber View Post
    The q lab seems like it would fit into my quiver really well (next size up is 187 jag shark for deeper days) but I was leaning toward the 108 supernatural because the q lab reportedly has soft shovels. How does q lab do in the mank and chop? I love how the lps handle that stuff.
    The shovel is softer than the rear of the ski. I've only skied mine in up to 18" of pnw crud...and never felt they were too soft, but ymmv. I also own a 185 Cochise and 186 Bodacious. Q labs handle crud as well as they do, but are just a little less demanding.

...or get the Lines. I'm sure they'll ski just fine.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Wailer 105 hybrid T2
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Has anyone been on the new Nordica enforcer? Should fit here...
    Big difference in sidecut

Not that you couldn't like both, but if you want something that's planky like the LP you might find the sidecut of the enforcer a bit much.

Thanks for all the input. Picked up some q labs on sac so I'll see how they do...

I too want to replace the 97mm underfoot 186cm original LP's. I do NOT want to go any wider for this ski as I have some Atomic Atlas's for the deep days and use this for wind buff, hard pack, groomers, crud. Mostly Mammoth, but a week a year in the Arlberg. 5'9" 165, 40's weekend warrior that likes to drive a ski old skool style with no flippy spinny sh*t.

I wouldn't mind it being a touch shorter or with a wee bit of tip rocker or early rise, or possibly just a smidge more sidecut, but think the early rise will loosen it up enough and keep it from being the submarine in the crud that the LP is. Otherwise, love the LP, especially its damp smooth feeling.

What about the Rossi E98 or Kastle BMX98? Can get both for cheap at the moment. Worried I will miss the metal of the LP in the Kastle since it doen't have metal. Rossi seems like a great option. Some say its too much ski, but then many thought that of the LP. Anyone skied both these and an LP? What sizes skied? Only interested in last years skis so I can pick them up cheap.

Gracias
    He who has the most fun wins!

In that width and type of ski, I liked the Dynastar Legend 94 from a few years ago. A little rise in tip but pretty traditional. Pretty damp, solid ski. Hard to find but there are cheap 178s on eBay right now: http://m.ebay.com/itm/301618067008?nav=SEARCH

Might be worth a look...

A few comments here: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...egend-94-Mount

Rossi e100 isn't bad
    Armada ARVti has some life to it
    Bonfide is still the standard

I know a lot of people are suggesting the bonafide, but to me, it really doesn't come close to the old race room 186 lp. They occupy the same slot in a quiver and it's a great ski, but quite a different ride. It doesn't have the same ferocious edge engagement and smooth damp feeling when really driven that you get out of a stiff, traditionally cambered ski. The tighter turn radius doesn't help either, although I will admit it makes it a little more user friendly/accessible than the LP.

I know you don't want to go wider, but I actually would consider the 186 wren 112. It definitely rewards the same style of skiing that an LP does, and actually has a very similar overall feel. Except it actually has some life at less than 40mph. It's very much a hardpack ski. Aside from actual metal, the on3p layup is the closest thing to metal as far as dampening ability that I've ever skied. The edge bite is far and away better than any other ski like it, including rc112s, seekers, etc. Like not even close. I do have a difficult time skiing it in anything soft that isn't perfectly consistent (similar issues to skiing an LP, M1, garbones class of ski in those conditions). But you've got a few pounds on me and the consensus seems to be that the heavier your are, the nicer it skis in soft snow.

Thought I'd circle back and install my thoughts on the bonafide for this category as my original intent in purchasing this ski was basically "I want an LP with a modern shape."

...And who on this forum doesn't want to know what modern ski will rival the cult following of the LP/Explosive?

I purchased the 180 2014/15 model (red everywhere, no fancy tip material shenanigans). Also currently in the quiver are Atomic M:EX in a 185, Legend Pro XXL in 186, GPO in 192 and Protest in 196. I wanted something in the popular 100mm waist region for days at the resort where there hasn't been any new snow for a little while. I wanted something that would be fun but still "keep up."

I'm 6" 185#. Skiing since I was a kid...and still skiing like a kid.

I like this ski, but I have mixed feelings. Personally, I find the 180 bonafide to be solidly in the "fun" category of ski and not in the charging category of the LP. It is pivoty and while the extra metal, weight and stiffness is reassuring, I dont find myself letting it go in the same way I can with my XXL's or I imagine one would with the LP. I was surprised by how far down the ski the tip rocker begins and quite simply, how short the ski looks. Again, the subtlety of the rocker is reassuring and allows the ski to hook up reasonably well on groomers but it doesn't lock you in like a long radius conventional shaped ski. Maybe I should have tried the 187 (after reading numerous reviews, I thought the 180 would be sufficient) or one of the Salomon or Nordica offerings. Thing is, I also kinda wanted a "fun" ski. Well, I have it now and I'll ski around on it for a while. It certainly puts a smile on my face at times, but not in the same way my XXL's do. Will it last in the quiver? We'll see...Maybe I dont really want that "fun" of a ski after all...
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

You skied a 187 XXL, I would get the 187 Bonifide. New one is somehow nimbler and damper than last years.

Give the Qlab 190 a shot...I'm 5'10 177lbs and LOVE the Qlab 190.....I HATED the 183. I tried the 183 first and I thought it was crap....a heavy forward mounted salomon. Then I got on the 190 and it changed everything.

I put 25 days on that ski alone in all conditions. If you like driving a ski then give this one a go.....don't be afraid of size.

Yeah, I'm convinced...up for trade in Gear Swap.

Having skied LPs, LP 105s and Explosivs the Armada Invictus 108ti fits the bill for me.

I've never skied the Armada but seems to get the attention from those who want a big boy stick