Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

california snowpack 8% of normal,beats 1977 as the worst

picador

1 year of water left, but no one seems to notice. Too bad its not ebola or ISIS related.

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    1 year of water left, but no one seems to notice. Too bad its not ebola or ISIS related.
    It's mainly the unvaccinated measle carrying crazies that i'm running for the hills from. SO SCARY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blazes_boylan View Post
    Except, that's not, literally, true. If it was, people would be leaving the state in droves. Jay Famiglietti, the guy who said we have a year of water left, clarified that he wasn't speaking literally. Rather he meant we have a year of water existing currently in state reservoirs. That doesn't include groundwater--of which we have millions and millions of acre-feet--and it doesn't include what may or may not fall from the sky in the next year.

If you want the non-hyperbolic version, read this: http://californiawaterblog.com/2015/...015-a-preview/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

From what I've read, they are in the hills. So, yeah, running the wrong way.

Not just Cali .. the whole West has had a dismal snow year (except for our little bit of Colorado, which is about "average").
    http://cires1.colorado.edu/~aslater/SNOW/march2015.html
    or
    http://cires1.colorado.edu/~aslater/...ercentage.html

In some regions (e.g. Stevens Pass, Washington), winter precip has not been all that low; the difference is that rain rather than snow has fallen... though this still means there's a shift in the hydrograph.

CALIFORNIA SNOWPACK 8% OF NORMAL,BEATS 1977 AS THE WORST

Worst what?
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Except, that's not, literally, true. If it was, people would be leaving the state in droves. Jay Famiglietti, the guy who said we have a year of water left, clarified that he wasn't speaking literally. Rather he meant we have a year of water existing currently in state reservoirs. That doesn't include groundwater--of which we have millions and millions of acre-feet--and it doesn't include what may or may not fall from the sky in the next year.

If you want the non-hyperbolic version, read this: http://californiawaterblog.com/2015/...015-a-preview/
    Great find-thanks for the link.
    One thing I think people would be shocked to hear is how much water is wasted in the craft beer industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Worst what?
    Actually worst since 1956-or close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyyee View Post
    Great find-thanks for the link.
    One thing I think people would be shocked to hear is how much water is wasted in the craft beer industry.
    At least we can drown our sorrows with the end result of brewing. Not so much with fracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard_of_Oz View Post
    Not just Cali .. the whole West has had a dismal snow year (except for our little bit of Colorado, which is about "average").
    h.
    Smithers BC sits at 114% of normal.

In some regions (e.g. Stevens Pass, Washington), winter precip has not been all that low; the difference is that rain rather than snow has fallen... though this still means there's a shift in the hydrograph.
    Snoqualmie Pass is at 81 inches for the year. The next worst year ever was 1976-77 at 191 inches. THAT is dismal.

Quote Originally Posted by SurlyRightClick View Post
    The next worst year ever was 1976-77 at 191 inches. THAT is dismal.
    Earth is 4.5 billion years old, just curious how many years ago Snoqualmie Pass started recording precipitation.

I always have to chuckle when people refer to the relatively short history of weather data collection in asserting that it might not really indicate whether the climate might be shifting away from supporting human life ... As though earth's climate has been conducive to supporting human life for most of it's history, or as though there were even one other example of a planet's climate that did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

california snowpack 8% of normal,beats 1977 as the worst

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Earth is 4.5 billion years old, just curious how many years ago Snoqualmie Pass started recording precipitation.
    Who cares how old the earth is? No snowboards or rockered skis back then anyways

Good thing 1000-oaks got wise to that global warming conspiracy. Academics must be making, literally, thousands of dollars off it.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

8%? Vibes.

grass is the new powder

Grass can't grow without water.

I'm betting big on sand skiing...

I thought Tahoe was doing well... based on occasionally glancing at a headline. Weren't they just struggling with too much rain and mudslides in outside of LA?

What's going on out there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    I thought Tahoe was doing well... based on occasionally glancing at a headline. Weren't they just struggling with too much rain and mudslides in outside of LA?

What's going on out there?
    Reasonably well. At least compared to recent years. El Nino supposedly going to kick into high gear in the next several weeks.

LA mudslides were a one-off hard, and fast storm a month or two back. They haven't actually gotten much down there yet.

But the OP was posting about last year anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Reasonably well. At least compared to recent years. El Nino supposedly going to kick into high gear in the next several weeks.

LA mudslides were a one-off hard, and fast storm a month or two back. They haven't actually gotten much down there yet.

But the OP was posting about last year anyway.
    Turns out it was just an average year in the end (maybe slightly above average with these April storms). Still, after the last few years I am very happy with this 'average year'. Seems like mother nature also took into account the 5-day work week with many of the storms coming in conveniently on Friday night.

Tried to post a link to opensnow but I am not allowed to as a new member.

Glaciers in California

The past few years going backpacking in the Sierras have shown how much the drought and the general reduction in snowfall as well as warmer temps are affecting the few remaining glaciers in the Sierras.

You can see the moraine stretching for a mile on the Palisade Glacier (the largest in the Sierras)

http://cires1.colorado.edu/~aslater/SNOW/march2015.html
    or
    http://cires1.colorado.edu/~aslater/...ercentage.html

What a difference two years makes! Thankfully, for Cali, last year wasn't bad, and this year is off the charts good, in fact too good for some like Oroville residents.

The same link now shows the snowpack in the southern Sierras at 198% of normal! http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action

Nice. Too bad the fucksticks in CA will remove water restrictions and continue wasting water washing cars, overwatering lawns and otherwise blow through the surplus.

So wish we could shut off the CO River until they learn.